mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page:)

DIY Mattress Questions

27 Nov 2018 11:16 - 27 Nov 2018 11:17 #1 by williamssmith
Hello TMU,

After looking at mattresses online, I have come to the conclusion that I want to build one myself with my personal preferences. A Hybrid Latex build.

A little bit about me, I am 5'10 and 180 pounds. About 50/50 back sleeper and side sleeper. I like a firmer bed for the support as it feels much better when sleeping on my back. However, with the research I have been doing, I have found out that a more plush bed is better for side sleepers. This may ease some shoulder pain I get. With that being said, this has left me very conflicted with the type latex foam I want to get and keep changing my mind. I decided to come to the professionals for some guidance. Everything I am looking at getting is from the Arizona Premium Mattress store.

I am looking at the Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt. I was thinking of changing to the 6inch Bolsa coils to save some money, but if they are a lot better, I would rather spend the extra on the combi-zone. Thoughts?

For the latex layers, I am very conflicted on what I want to get now. I was originally thinking 2 inches of Dunlop and 2 inches of blended Talalay leaving me with a 12inch mattress, but very unsure on the ILDs that I would want. My thought was to get a firmer Dunlop for the bottom, but then I noticed the coils are considered "firm" and not sure if this would end up being too firm. Will 4 inches be enough latex? What got me thinking further was the wavy Dunlop you can flip over, but I wasn't sure it was would cause more heat with it being solid latex.

Lastly, the cover. I didn't think this was going to be a hard decision, but the more I read, the more I keep switching between wool and cotton. I want one that protects the mattress well, but also allows ample air flow to keep it cool as possible (gets hot in the summer). With this being said, I was leaning more towards the Organic Cotton cover. I feel like this one may be thinner to allow more air and also get me closer to the Latex instead of the bamboo wool cover. Is this the case?

Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it short.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 11:17 by williamssmith.

27 Nov 2018 16:10 #2 by Arizona Premium
All excellent questions. Combi zone or Bolsa, no wrong choice. Combi is better for back sleepers however the Bolsa is better for side sleepers. Either will work if you go with the Wavy topper and follow it up with a Soft Talalay topper. That gives you the flexibility to move the layers in case you need to tweak the feel.

Both springs are firm overall, the bolsa just doesn't have the extra lumbar zoning. Even solid latex breathes because it's open cell foam. I would also choose the Organic cotton cover because it puts you closer to the latex and might also be slightly cooler although the bamboo breathes very well also.

Final thought, sleeping on your side is the best way to sleep but most can't sleep in that position for very long because of pressure points in hips and shoulders. Eliminate the pressure points with a soft mattress and you will sleep through the night in one position which is why I recommend soft for the top layer.

28 Nov 2018 15:19 #3 by williamssmith
Thank you, Ken for the response. All very helpful information.

I need to think about the coils as you have bought up great points for each and now I am leaning back towards the Bolsa coils. I will definitely be going with the wavy topper knowing that it is still breathable and follow up with a Talalay topper on top. I was originally looking at the Medium 28 ILD blended Talalay, but will look into the soft 19 ILD instead. Sounds like the cotton cover will be exactly what I was looking for.

In general, 4 inches of latex enough? I was trying to keep it to a 12 inch mattress with 8 of it being the coils leaving 4 inches for latex. Now that I am leaning back towards the Bolsa coils, I might go with a 4 inch blended soft Talalay with the 2 inch wavy. I just dont want it to be too soft on top and not have enough support.

29 Nov 2018 13:38 #4 by Arizona Premium
4" of latex is more than enough. Call me direct if you need to discuss anything.

16 Dec 2018 09:44 #5 by gardenguy
Replied by gardenguy on topic DIY Mattress Questions
Sorry to hijack this thread.
Hi Ken,
I have seen your 31 ILD poly foam base on your website. Could you tell me what the firmness equivalent in blended talalay latex would be in a similar 6 inch base. From what I understand poly foam will feel roughly 20% firmer, or so. Does that then bring one to the conclusion that a 36 ILD talalay base would bring a similar amount of firmness-support, to the 31 poly foam? Thank you.

16 Dec 2018 10:43 #6 by Arizona Premium
Yes, I would have to agree that it feels more like a 36 Talalay. Thank you for the question and no worries about Hijacking.

06 Jan 2019 17:52 #7 by Cheepomcgee
Replied by Cheepomcgee on topic DIY Mattress Questions
Hey guys gonna jump in here for my first post. Really grateful that this place exists and excited to get a great mattress soon.

Would the Bolsa coils be a better idea for someone who is looking to do 5 inches of foam.

I currently own a 6”, half poly half Dunlop that I purchased from foamoder 15 years ago. I’ll have to open in up for a closer look but the Dunlop used in the top layer is n28. Could it still be good? Is frankenmattress viable?

Im contemplating a setup with 6” coils and 5 inch foam so obviously would want to close the deal with 2” Talalay. Have customers ordered this set up in the past? Is my idea out of left field?

The big ideas here is that 6” gives me some coil foundation but allows for more progressive layering. I already own a piece of Dunlop that might still be in good shape and suitable as a transition layer. From there just two inch of Talalay to close the deal. There’s a lot to figure out and obviously I’ll have to find some showrooms that will allow me to get a feel for what is best for me.

06 Jan 2019 18:34 #8 by Cheepomcgee
Replied by Cheepomcgee on topic DIY Mattress Questions
Also does the 6” Bolsa coils have lumbar zoning like the 8” l&p? If not, can an advanced slatting system like the one pictured help overcome that deficiency?

Also is this forum enabled on Tapatalk?
Attachments:

08 Jan 2019 08:57 #9 by Arizona Premium
We've done all kinds of configurations using this Bolsa spring as a starting point. As far as your foamorder bed I'm afraid that the dunlop is probably glued to the foam base and as such you will have a difficult time removing it without massive tearing.

Adding a couple layers of latex over the coil spring is very common here. Usually a medium layer followed by a soft layer but it really depends on your weight and favorite sleeping position.

08 Jan 2019 09:00 #10 by Arizona Premium
If you are mainly a side sleeper then not having the zoning could be more beneficial. The lumbar support is mostly for back and stomach sleepers. If you did need the lumbar then yes, that base will work or you could just upgrade to the Combi Zone coil and then the base won't matter as much.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website