Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 20 Feb 2019 09:34 #1

Hi Ken,

Can you tell us more about your new quantum-edge elite pocket coil option for your Eco Sleep latex hybrid? Specifically, how it compares to the Eco Sleep’s caliber edge option, or your Ultimate Hybrid’s quantum-edge combi-zone? I’d like to know about firmness/stiffness; how different edge supports, coil counts, and heights affect the feel; and anything else you feel is relevant.

Thank you!

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 20 Feb 2019 11:37 #2

Good question and one I get a lot. For those who are side sleepers having smaller coils and more of them means less pressure points so the Bolsa spring is a really good upgrade. For back or stomach sleepers the Caliber edge works just fine. The zoning of the Combi zone used in the Ultimate Hybrid is also good for back or stomach sleepers but side sleepers might need an extra layer of latex to get the cush needed and negate the extra firmness in the lumbar area. All three springs are on the firmer end of the spectrum and work fine for back or stomach but the Bolsa will be the best choice for side sleeping.

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 20 Feb 2019 13:56 #3

Thanks, Ken. Can you be a little more specific about the firmness of the three options? How would you rank them in terms of firmness? I need a firm support layer and I got excited when your website described the quantum-edge elite as offering “more support” than the standard caliber-edge coils. Does that mean it feels more firm? And what effect does the difference in coil count/gauge have?

I can tell you a little about my personal situation. I’m a tall, skinny (6’1”, 160 lbs) side sleeper, and haven’t done well on zoned coils. And pressure points generally aren’t an issue for me no matter what kind of mattress I’ve laid on. Alignment is my biggest concern. That is, I’ve never woken up anywhere with sore hips or shoulders, but have upper/lower back issues often.

I’ve tried several Leggett and Platt coil units in person (including a 660-count queen; not sure if it’s the same as your caliber-edge), and felt those coils were as uniformly supportive as the old school innerspring models I grew up with. That is, if you sit on top of them, the coils don’t have much give. However, I’ve also seen some mattresses (with L&P coils) reviewed online where the springs look extremely “mushy.” And about 18 months ago I had to return a (non L&P) mattress I ordered online because whenever I sat or laid in it, it felt like I was sinking halfway through the mattress.

Thanks again.

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 20 Feb 2019 15:16 #4

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the firmest I would rate the Combi zone at an 8.5, the caliber at 7.5 and the bolsa is an 8. Me being a side sleeper I like the feel of the Bolsa the best because the lighter gauge coils contour better than the other two. None of these are mushy at all.

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 07 May 2019 08:07 #5

Thanks again for your explanations. I have one more question: What is the difference between caliber edge, quantum edge, and quantum edge elite? I can't seem to find an adequate description on Leggett and Platt's website. Thanks!

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 07 May 2019 09:14 #6

Here's the description for the 660 Caliber Edge - diymattress.net/products/caliber-edge-6-pocket-coil-by-leggett-and-platt

Combi Zone aka Quantum Edge Elite - www.mattresses.net/copocobylean.html

Quantum Edge Bolsa - www.mattresses.net/quedelbo.html

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 07 May 2019 17:18 #7

Thanks! So it looks like Caliber edge has the same size coils as the main part of the mattress, but stiffer. And the quantum edge has narrower diameter coils around the edge. But there isn't any description of what makes the elite "elite."

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 08 May 2019 07:14 #8

If you go to the L&P website it actually explains the difference between QE & QE Elite. The elite has the narrow, QE coils around the full perimeter of the mattress while the QE only has them on the left and right sides. Just look at the pictures and the short description walks through the difference.

Out of curiosity (since i'm looking to purchase as well) what didn't you like about "zoned" mattresses? I.E. why is the combizone not appealing to you?

Thanks!

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 08 May 2019 08:47 #9

Thanks! I tried several zoned coils in stores, and slept on one for about a month. I felt like my hips were too high, and my upper body was sinking in too much, which ended up causing problems with my neck. Plus when I sat up in bed, it felt weird.

I kept wishing the whole mattress was the same stiffness as the edge or center coils – and even then, they weren’t firm enough for me. My hip area is not that much wider or heavier than my upper body, so my hips don’t tend to sink in any more than my upper body when laying on a normal mattress. As Ken says in this post , “If you are mainly a side sleeper then not having the zoning could be more beneficial.”

I also have to say that my needs are probably different from the average side sleeper. I tend to prefer a firmer mattress because I don’t generally suffer from pressure issues but spinal alignment is a big concern for me. I actually like the feel of pressure on my torso because I feel like it’s keeping my spine from sagging.

Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options 08 May 2019 09:22 #10

Based on that I would go with the QE Bolsa spring, no zoning but lots of coils for good support.

Moderators: Arizona Premium