- Posts: 4
- Mattress Forum
- Mattress Forum
- General Mattresses Questions
- Arizona Premium Mattress / LATEX & HYBRID MATTRESSES, ADJUSTABLE BASES, COMPONENTRY
- Hybrid Advice - Zones, ILDs, and Toppers!
Hybrid Advice - Zones, ILDs, and Toppers!
Hi Ken! I'm very excited to dive into the world of mattresses (and can't wait to get a better night's sleep)! I was wondering if I could pick your brain on a build and get your advice on how to proceed.
Myself: 5'10", 130 lbs, BMI 19, female, wide hips but wider shoulders, small waist, lanky, long neck/torso
Fiancé: 6'8", 225 lbs, BMI 25, male, wide shoulders, small waist, lanky, loooong legs
Sleeping Style: roughly 60% side, 40% back/stomach, moderate tossing/turning
Key Concerns: I often have lower right back pain, that area is often inflamed and protrudes more than the left side so I'm uneven; I recently injured my neck and wake up with stiff and sore neck/shoulders; my fiancé often wakes up sore with aches in his shoulders and back
Other Considerations: my fiancé often feels hot when asleep, so something breathable and temperature neutral would be great; not sure how to phrase this delicately, but we have an active sex life so that is a major consideration in addition to sleep quality
Current Frame: Solid wood platform bed, queen, 17 slats, center support leg, max 800 lbs
Support core: L&P Bolsa Quantum Edge Elite
Comfort layer: 3" talalay (natural or blend), medium (high-20s, low-30s ILD)
Cover: ~1" wool or bamboo
1. Would you recommend hybrid or all latex?
2. If hybrid, would you recommend the combi-zone or bolsa? We were originally excited by the Queen Ultimate Hybrid, but after reading some more posts, it seems like zoned is less ideal for side sleepers and really tall folks. Is that correct?
3. Since we're a combination of side sleepers and heavy/tall frame, we're aiming for a medium comfort layer (high-20s ILD), does that seem right to you?
4. Do we need a second comfort layer or is the 3" latex comfort layer sufficient given our stats?
Thanks so much!!
The Eco Sleep and bolsa spring with the Medium Talalay is a good choice for side sleepers but in store our customers overwhelmingly choose the all latex over the hybrid. Alternately our DIY latex base cores in Medium with a Medium #28 Talalay topper is an even better choice with the bamboo/wool cover. Both designs will get you where you need to be however the spring action might me better for your extra activities, says the man with 5 children who sleeps on all latex.
Latex also breathes extremely well