mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page:)

Picking the right latex hybrid. Need advice!

09 Oct 2019 13:16 #1 by atz198
Hi,

New user here, even though I have been lurking for a little while.

Our sleeper profiles:
  • Me: 33M, 6"2 165lbs. Mostly stomach/side sleeper. Frequent lower back pain. Sleeps hot.
  • Partner: 28F, 5"7 125lbs. Mostly side sleeper, with some back sleep.
We want a king bed. Currently have a queen Ikea bed frame with an older Kawada spring mattress and a 3 inch, 4 lbs memory foam topper. I often wake up quite sweaty if I cover myself up too much.

We went around and tested a few mattresses. We were attracted to Latex / Hybrid Latex mattresses in order to reduce how hot I sleep. By far the best one we tested was the Nest Natural Hybrid Latex in Medium firmness. However, I have some concerns about the fact that are a couple intermediate layers of foam that I'm afraid might make it sleep a little hotter than a pure Latex / coils hybrid.

I have been looking into Arizona Premium Mattresses' builds after reading a lot of good thing around here. Doesn't hurt that the price is right! Unfortunately we are not near Phoenix (California).
Looking at the King Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil - Latex. Also considering the Eco Sleep Hybrid although the price of the Ultimate is not really a concern.

A couple questions:
  1. Has anyone been able to compare Nest's Hybrid Latex with Arizona's Ultimate Hybrid. Do they feel similar? I am not concerned about the quality/longevity of either product after reading the reviews here, they both seem to be great products. Although Arizona's has a slight edge on price and customizability.
  2. I have no idea how to pick between the Dunlop and Talalay Natural latex. I would assume medium firmness, but that is also just a guess based on the Nest model we tested.

For the bed/frame, we were simply looking at one of the platform bed frames from Zinus.

I would welcome any recommendation/suggestion/comment!

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask more questions if I forget an important aspect! :)

09 Oct 2019 13:35 - 09 Oct 2019 13:45 #2 by Dunbar
I had a Nest Latex Hybrid that I ended up returning. I have nothing bad to say about Nest as they were very easy to work with. It just didn’t work out for me. The medium was too soft for me and the firm was too firm (5’9” ~160lb. back sleeper) I wouldn’t worry about it sleeping too hot as it almost slept too cool for me in the winter months! But the quilting is what I believe made the medium too soft for me. As a stomach sleeper you are probably going to want the firm model but that will almost certainly be too firm for your partner. So you should consider the split firmness option. I actually visited the Arizona Premium Mattress showroom when I was in Phoenix over the holidays and really wanted to buy from them but couldn’t wrap my head around returning the components if it didn’t work out for me. I ended up going with the standard Avocado mattress with a 3” 24 ILD topper and that seems to be working for me so far (two weeks in). I chose Avocado because they opened a showroom near me, so I could try before buying, and have a generous return policy. If you did a king split latex hybrid with two Twin XL toppers you could basically have to completely different firmness levels in one mattress. If you’re in Southern California one other option is Flexus. They have hybrid latex that uses the same 8” coils with 3” of talalay latex. I visited their Covina showroom to try that bed out when I was shopping.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 13:45 by Dunbar.

09 Oct 2019 14:30 #3 by Arizona Premium
I can't really speak about the Nest products, only about our products. One important thing to know is that we use a zippered mattress cover which means you have access to all the components. It's makes it easy to make a change if it's not just right for you. We do offer dual firmness choices on the topper which might be of great interest to you. Avocado has no zippered cover so you cannot make any changes to the feel. Nest does not manufacture their own products. I believe Brooklyn Bedding and/or Diamond mattress makes their mattress lineups for them so that why the prices are a little different, we make our own products.

Talalay will have a little softer and more conforming feel vs Dunlop. Dunlop does work best for heavier people who are primarily back or stomach sleepers. None of our stuff sleeps hot because we only use latex and/or coils in our mattresses. Based on your info I would say that Medium or dual firmness Medium/Soft Talalay would be the way to go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

09 Oct 2019 14:59 #4 by atz198
Dunbar - Thanks for you insight!

Ken - Thank you for the suggestions. A couple more questions:
  • What are the main differences between the Blended and All Natural Talalay toppers?
  • Related, can you offer a bit of insight on your new Eco Sleep Hybrid vs Ultimate Hybrid? I guess the differences are Blended vs All Natural Latex, and Caliber Edge / Bolsa vs Combi-Edge for the coils. I was wondering how that $400-500 difference translates in the feel and longevity of the mattress?
  • Regarding the pillows (looking at your website), would you also recommend picking Talalay over Dunlop? And for the profile, low for the stomach/side sleeper and high for the side/back sleeper?

Thanks in advance!

10 Oct 2019 10:02 #5 by Arizona Premium
The main differences between the Ultimate Hybrid and Eco Sleep is of course Natural Talalay vs Blended Talalay and the springs. The Eco uses 6" coils vs 8" on the combi zone so there is an obvious 2" height difference. The Combi zone spring has the extra zoning in the middle for even more support. The Eco with the Bolsa upgrade is a tremendous value as are all our designs. The bolsa is still a QE series spring meaning it has the Quantum Edge, same as the Combi zone just doesn't have the extra coils in the middle and it's 6" high instead of 8". With the 8" coil you will have a little more bounce factor as well. Between the 2 there really is no wrong choice. Both will get the job done for years to come. The key to both is having the zippered cover. You will have the ability to change the topper down the road if necessary instead of having to buy a new mattress.

As far as the pillows go it's tough to give advice because we are all so different in our preferences. I like the low profile Talalay simply because I have a very soft latex mattress and sink into it more. The high profile will kink my neck a bit. Firmer mattresses reduce the sink factor so the High Profile is usually a better choice for most. The dunlop pillow is kind of right in the middle height wise but is slightly firmer than the Talalay pillows.

10 Oct 2019 11:11 - 10 Oct 2019 11:13 #6 by Dunbar
Atz198 If you go for the Eco Sleep hybrid I’d highly recommend getting the Bolsa upgrade for the edge support alone. The Nest Latex Hybrid has the basic 6” coil unit like the standard Eco Sleep. It lacks edge support and made it nearly impossible for me to sit on the edge of the bed while getting dressed. Of course at that point I think the combi-zone unit is only about $80-100 more than the 6” Bolsa so you might just consider geting the 8” coils at that point. It’s supposed to be the best coil unit on the market.

I’ve tired two different latex pillows now and always end up with bad neck pain within a few days. I should probably try removing some fill from them to see if they feel any better.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 11:13 by Dunbar.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website