Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 22 Sep 2021 12:15 #1

Hi Ken,

I need some help solving some issues with my current DIY Hybrid Build.

I currently have:
  • 6" QEE from APM
  • 2" Medium Talalay #25-29 DiyMattressILD
  • 2" 3LB Memory Foam
  • No Cover Yet -- I am planning on ordering

Sleepers
5'4" 130lb side, back, stomach / 5'7" 165lb side, back

Problems
  • My shoulder hurts when sleeping on my side, it's not sinking in much..
  • My hips are sinking lower in experiencing some lower back discomfort, not terrible but I can feel it. Not sure if a Combi-Zone coil is/was right since we're both short people.
  • Memory foam is OK. It sleeps a little warmer than I like. I prefer it over the springiness of soft latex but also will entertain a soft latex layer as my comfort if you suggest.

What would you do here to solve some of these issues? I am willing on spending $$ to get it right.

Thanks!

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 22 Sep 2021 12:45 #2

I should mention, at my disposal, I currently have access to:
  • (1) 3" Medium Dunlop ILD 34 ILD (25%) / 76 ILD (40%)
  • (1) 2" Firm Dunlop 37-40 ILD

And am willing to cut latex with an electric knife if zoning is needed.

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 24 Sep 2021 22:54 #3

Try putting your 2" 3LB Memory Foam under your 2" Medium Talalay, meaning bottom to top
and see how that feels.
6" QEE from APM
2" 3LB Memory Foam
2" Medium Talalay #25-29 DiyMattressILD

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 24 Sep 2021 23:02 #4

If that doesnt feel better I would do
6" QEE from APM
2" 3LB Memory Foam
2" 20 ILD From SOL (Sleep on Latex) or lower ILD bit would definitely keep the memory foam under your comfort level due to the shoulder pain and hip sinking.

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 26 Sep 2021 22:26 #5

thanks for the input, i will give it a shot. what’s the reason for recommending memory foam under the latex layer?

also am considering:
6” QEE
2” Med Talalay
1.5” soft talalay
1.5” serene foam - not sure if the ILD

any thoughts on that?

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 26 Sep 2021 22:28 #6

I guess i’m airing of the side of more plush because i’ve read/heard ticking/encasements
make the bed firmer.

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 27 Sep 2021 09:13 #7

The spring and latex are a pretty firm combination and the memory foam will do little to relieve pressure points ad you will just sink through it. 3" of soft latex somewhere in the mix would be my suggestion. You can still use your memory foam on top but you just don't have enough cush right now.

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 27 Sep 2021 10:57 #8

Thanks Ken - do you recommend #18-24 ILD Soft or something softer than this? Also, since this is up to me to decide on where it falls in my stack, does it matter if it's Talalay or Dunlop?

Help Rectify DIY Hybrid Build 27 Sep 2021 12:30 #9

I would do the natural talalay 20-24 on top first. You can always move it down.

Moderators: Arizona Premium
The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.