Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 05:44 #1

Posted this in the general forum, but figured I may get better responses here:

Me: 5'7", 205 lbs - side sleeper, primarily on right side (but usually end up partially on stomach/side due to hip and shoulder pressure) - also, almost always end up sleeping with right arm extended under pillow
Her: 4'11" 175 lbs - side sleeper, starts out on her back and then switches sides all night
Neither of us have any underlying diagnosed medical conditions causing pain.. I have issues with shoulder pain, she has issues with hip pain..
Current mattress - King Koil Laura Ashley Audrey Firm with 1.5" memory foam topper since its always been too firm

So I'm thinking we may want to try a DIY hybrid pocket coil/latex setup this time around. I'm thinking of using the Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa 8" from Arizona Premium Mattress as the base.. From what I understand, this is non-zoned (which I think may be a good idea given that she is only 4'11 and I am not the tallest at 5'7"). For the next layer, I was thinking of either 2" or 3" on Dunlop from APM (Medium, ILD 28-33) or from Sleep on Latex (Medium, ILD 34). For the top layer, I was thinking of either 2" or 3" in either Talalay from APM (Plush, 20-24 ILD), Dunlop from APM (Soft, 19-22), or Dunlop from Sleep on Latex (Soft, 20 ILD)

I would likely wrap everything up with the Bamboo-Wool zippered cover from APM. I wanted to know how my proposal sounded.. I'm probably most unsure of the thicknesses of the transition and comfort layers.. Would 3" transition and 2" top comfort be a better approach?

Mattresses we've tried previously and results (much of this detailed here years ago - www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses/18852-switching-from-air-to-brooklyn-bme-questions/59585 ):
Brooklyn Bedding BME Medium (2015) - I believe that was 7" HD foam with 2" middle dunlop layer with ILD of 28 and a 2" top talalay layer with ILD -- that didnt work out as I often felt like I was bottoming out on the mattress and developed lower back pain. We were both happy with pressure point relief on it though.

Personal Comfort Air Bed - I replaced the comfort layers with 2" SOL Dunlop (30 ILD) and 2" SOL Dunlop (20 ILD) - we were generally happy with these comfort layers as well -- but it was impossible to dial in the air mattresses for a good support layer without either being too soft (develop back pain) or too firm (develop pressure point pain)

Novosbed Sonata -- Returned, too firm
Novosbed Aria - Kept to use in guest bedroom, but ultimately dislike of memory foam was main reason it got moved out of the room.

Thanks
Rick

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 09:32 #2

Side sleepers do like it on the softer end of the scale so you picked the perfect coil. Talalay latex also works better because it's less dense and conforms to your body curves better than dunlop so you definitely want 3" of #20-24 on top but I would also recommend a 2" Talalay #25-29 as the transition layer. Alternately you could use dunlop in it's place. This should end up being just what you are striving to achieve.

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 10:03 #3

Do you have any thoughts on reversing the thicknesses of the transition and comfort layers, i.e. 3" of either dunlop or talalay as the transition layer, and then 2" of the #20-24 on top? I only ask because of my tendency to start sleeping on my side, and then twist my spine (i.e. upper body ends up mostly on side, stomach and legs end up almost flat against mattress) - my concern there is maintaining enough in the support sections.

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 12:02 #4

You can certainly do that but you may have to add more softness on top of the mattress if you get pressure points.

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 14:51 #5

Thanks again for all your help. I think I will try your suggestion with the 2" for the medium and 3" for the soft.

I had two more questions. First, the Quantum Edge Elite coils at www.mattresses.net/quedelbo.html -- references both the 6" and 8" coils, which one is it?
Second -- to pull all of this together, assuming the coils are 8" -- I should be ordering a 13" cover, correct?

Thanks,
Rick

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 16:22 #6

It is the 8" so yes, the 13" cover is what you will need to finish the project.

DIY Build Assistance 01 Oct 2021 17:08 #7

Thanks again for all your help... Just placed my order.

DIY Build Assistance 16 Oct 2021 14:43 #8

Hey RickNY!
I was wondering if you have received your order or an indication of when it might come in. I have placed 4 calls to APM and have left messages beginning 5 days ago. I am wary of ordering from them if they are currently having issues with customer service. As I understand, they are a great company, but I'm wondering if they are having internal issues that will affect my trying to order from them.

Thanks so much!
-Mamabear

DIY Build Assistance 16 Oct 2021 14:56 #9

I had no problem at all reaching them via the chat feature on their website. I was told the current lead time on all mattresses and DIY parts was currently 4 weeks. I ordered on 10/1, so that’s about what I expected.

DIY Build Assistance 18 Oct 2021 06:39 #10

Thank you so much for your reply! I will try the chat feature.
--Mamabear

Moderators: Arizona Premium
The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.