mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

My experience with local manufacturers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area

21 Jan 2014 11:54 #1 by RidgeWhitlock
So I've spent the past month researching, driving, and trying out mattresses around DFW, watching my budget for a mattress slowly increase along with my frustration level. I thought I'd share my impressions of the various local manufacturers in the hopes that it might save someone else a bit of time in their own search. I should note that I started out with a $300 budget for a two-sided full-sized innerspring, which has escalated to about $600, and may go up to $900 for an all-latex mattress if I choose to subsist on ramen noodles for a while.

United and Holland: This was the first location I visited, since I live in Denton. I was particularly interested in their two-sided Dream Machine 7000 latex/innerspring, which appeared to be reasonably priced and well-made. Unfortunately, the owner became very standoffish when I started asking for information about construction and thickness of the comfort layers, to the point where he suggested that I was attempting to steal trade secrets. He was so generally unhelpful and my sales experience so poor that I choose not to return on principle.

Their cheaper mattresses are sourced from Royal Sleep Products out of Fort Worth, who I called (twice) and was unable to get any specific details on their materials, although based on the prices I'd assume it was lesser quality foam (1.2lb or lower density).

Furniture and Floors/Golden Mattress Company: Shawn at Furniture & Floors in Fort Worth was extremely pleasant to deal with and not at all pushy. I'd been having difficulty finding certain models by Golden to try out, and while he didn't have what I was looking for in his own store, he was happy to let me name-drop him so I could check out the manufacturer's showroom in Dallas.

The person I spoke with at the factory showroom willingly gave out ILD and density information on the mattresses I was looking at, which was regrettably 1.2lb density for almost everything except the Chiro (1.7), which was much too firm for my sleeping style and had a very thin comfort layer. That said, they do make a couple of models (Legacy, Park Avenue) that are two-sided and come in a range of comfort options which would be good on a tighter budget.

Mattress Factory: I was fairly disappointed trying out the innersprings here. While they're all two-sided, appropriately priced, and Peter is very clear on what foams he's using (generally 1.5-2lb), all his mattresses are on the firmer side and it didn't seem like there was nearly enough thickness in the comfort layers to make them work well for a side sleeper (me). Adding to this was a generally cheap-feeling quilting/ticking layer and a remarkable lack of edge support in the innerspring.

Now, for latex, this is probably the *best* place to go in DFW. Prices are as good as you could hope for, two-sided construction, and latex is used in the quilting layer as well (rather than foam), which seems to be a rarity. The mattress I tried in the store seemed to be firmer than I expected for the ILD rating, leading me to think it was Dunlop, but apparently he uses Talalay for the top layers, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Regardless, any firmness level is available and for sheer longevity this seems like the ideal choice.

Sleep Craft: Exceptionally nice, if somewhat pricey, innerspring mattresses (delivery costs are included, which helps). Todd is extremely easygoing and will happily allow you to spend as much time as you need testing the beds in his store, but be prepared to endure some political conversation. Uses 1.8lb foam in the quilt and 2.2lb in the comfort layer for the base Alexander Plush model, although he also has all-latex and latex/innerspring models as well. 24ILD for most everything in the showroom but can be made at any firmness. Anything with latex here is substantially more expensive and still uses polyfoam in the quilting layer, so I don't think they represent as good a value over Mattress Factory's all-latex or even Sleep Craft's standard innerspring, but there are a much wider variety of options to choose from.

21 Jan 2014 13:58 #2 by jankdc
Some questions that I have are

what size bed are you looking for?
How long do you want it to last?

My understanding with the polyfoam is to get something with at least 2lb density. Another option (though it still adds up) is to get a firm mattress with a topper.

21 Jan 2014 16:33 #3 by Phoenix
Hi RidgeWhitlock,

Thanks for sharing your Dallas experiences ... I appreciate it and hopefully it will be helpful for others in the area.

Part of the issue here may have been if you were asking for "comfort specs" such as ILD which many manufacturer don't disclose because they are not related to the quality of a mattress and with careful and objective testing your body will tell you everything you need to know about PPP regardless of any of the comfort specs of the mattress.

The specs you need to make informed choices would be to verify the quality of the materials and to make sure there isn't more than "about an inch or so" of lower quality or unknown materials in the mattress.

Of course I don't know if this is the case but if a consumer begins to ask about ILD information it can easily lead to the assumption that they are indeed trying to find out information that may be proprietary and that a consumer doesn't need to know with a local purchase that they can test in person.

Every layer of a mattress will have an effect on all the other layers so this may be connected to layer thickness or the firmness of the support layer below it or even to the type of cover and quilting they use which can also have a significant effect on the mattress. When you test mattresses it can be difficult to isolate the "feel" of one particular layer from the others although the layers and components closer to the top of a mattress will have a bigger effect on the initial feel of a mattress than the deeper ones.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.

21 Jan 2014 21:16 #4 by RidgeWhitlock
Hi Phoenix, thanks for making such a wonderfully useful, informative site.

While my dealings with U&H were fairly early on and I did not have a full grasp (not that I feel I have one now, either) of everything I should/should not be asking for, I don't believe I spent much time questioning the subjective comfort of the mattress or any ILD specs. I can certainly understand your concerns, but it is hard to determine the value of a mattress which consists, at least in part, of latex, without knowing how much of it is actually used. It would be easy, for instance, to use a very small amount of the material and bury it under so many layers of low-quality polyfoam (Golden does this in some of their mattresses as an example), that the latex is only really present as a marketing tool.

Is this the case with this manufacturer? My gut says no, but my gut is renowned for poor decision-making. Regardless, I was not successful in getting information about foam density, which would have been the very first thing I asked about, and I don't believe taking his word on "it will last the warranty period" is a good idea when so many other manufacturers were completely forthcoming. I maintain that were I a competitor and I desperately wanted to understand how the mattress was layered, I would buy one and cut it open. This is assuming there was something unique and special about this model, which is probably not the case.

Ultimately, I did not feel the owner was particularly tactful in fielding my questions. Despite quality and materials being the primary decision-making factors here, I do expect a mutual understanding that I am there as a person trying to make an informed decision on an expensive (for me, at least) purchase, not to screw someone over. I certainly never experienced the sense with anyone else I spoke with that I had offended them simply by asking questions, even if they could not answer them.

21 Jan 2014 21:56 - 21 Jan 2014 22:13 #5 by Phoenix
Hi RidgeWhitlock,

I completely agree with this and I would also want to know the amount of latex in a mattress as well as the type and blend which should all be information that a manufacturer "should" supply.

I completely agree with this as well and the "it will last the warranty period" is not a meaningful answer IMO because a material may soften and result in the loss of comfort and support even though there isn't a deep enough impression to trigger the warranty coverage.

I completely agree with this as well. If a manufacturer or retailer isn't able to provide the information you need to make an informed decision when you are seriously considering a mattress I would pass them by.

It's somewhat surprising that your experience was so negative because I hadn't heard this type of feedback about them before and they appeared to be more open about their materials when I talked to them (which was some time ago) but if any manufacturer or retailer isn't willing or able to disclose the information that their customers need to make informed choices in terms of quality or value then I would "reluctantly" pass them by.

Thanks again for your comments and we are definitely on the same page.

I've added a link to this thread to their description in the Dallas thread to make sure that other members here are aware that they may not be willing to provide the information that they need to make an informed choice but it would be unfortunate if your experience was the norm.

Last edit: 21 Jan 2014 22:13 by Phoenix.

24 Jan 2014 17:39 #6 by tril
Thanks for your very helpful info on DFW retailers, RidgeWhitlock. I'm going mattress hunting this weekend, and the Mattress Factory is on my list. Fortunately, I'm looking for a firm mattress so your disappointment might be my delight! I'm also very interested in their latex mattresses so your positive comments also helped there.

Thanks to you too, Phoenix. After spending hours reading the info on this site, this is the first time I feel somewhat competent to go mattress shopping!

24 Jan 2014 18:05 #7 by Phoenix
Hi tril,

Welcome ... I'm glad you found us and that the site and this thread could help you :)

I'm looking forward to your feedback after you've done some testing.

04 Nov 2014 17:27 #8 by Ptery83
I am considering trying out the Mattress Factory for a latex mattress very soon. Did either one of you end up purchasing a mattress from there? If so how did everything work out? From what I've read it is a good place to get a dependable latex mattress locally but haven't made the trip to test it out yet. Thanks for any feedback.

04 Nov 2014 18:34 - 04 Nov 2014 18:35 #9 by Phoenix
Hi Ptery83,

Hopefully some of the other members that have purchased there will see your post and comment about their experience.

The Mattress Factory is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality,value, and service.

There is also more about the most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses. Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the most important part of the "value" of a mattress purchase is the quality of the construction and the durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer.

Your own testing will tell you more than anything else or anyone else's experience about whether a mattress is a suitable match for you in terms of PPP (a mattress that is "perfect" for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on) and I would be very cautious about using one person's or even a group of people's experience on a mattress as a reliable guide to how suitable a mattress may be for you (see post #13 here ). Knowing the quality of the materials inside it (see this article ) will tell you about whether the mattress has any weak links in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress.

I'm looking forward to your feedback if you do decide to pay them a visit :).

Last edit: 04 Nov 2014 18:35 by Phoenix.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website