mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Innerspring with latex

11 May 2014 15:33 #1 by Grateful
Hi,

Do you have any advice on an innerspring mattress with latex. I'm considering the Sleep Ez Euro Pillowtop with latex after trying the Kingsdown Summerset. The latex was on the firm side but still hit all of the pressure points. I've also tried Ikea's innerspring with latex topper but it was too soft.

I'm grateful for your website and any advice.

11 May 2014 21:11 - 22 Jan 2019 03:58 #2 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Innerspring with latex
Hi Grateful,

Do you have any advice on an innerspring mattress with latex.

An innerspring/latex hybrid can be a great choice in terms of quality and is a favorite combination for some people I know who could sleep on anything they wanted to but there are also hundreds of versions of the same general type of mattress so which innerspring/latex hybrid may be best for any specific person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) can vary widely. The best way to know whether a specific innerspring/latex hybrid would be a good match for you would either be your own careful and objective testing or if that isn't possible then a more detailed conversation on the phone with an online retailer or manufacturer that you are interested in (see post #2 here ). There is more about an innerspring/latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here .

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and they include several latex/innerspring mattresses of various types that would certainly be worth considering. There may also be some local options available to you as well that you could test in person (if you let me know your city or zip code I'd be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I'm aware of in your area).

The SleepEz Euro Pillowtop could be a great quality/value choice but it probably wouldn't be similar to the Kingsdown Summerset (Somerset?) and since Kingsdown doesn't generally provide the specifics of the materials inside it I would avoid it (or any "blind" purchase) anyway. The Somerset appears to use gel memory foam and/or polyfoam in the comfort layers ... not latex. I also believe that the SleepEz latex Eurotop is only available locally not online (although you can confirm this with them).

Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 03:58 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

13 May 2014 19:31 #3 by Grateful
Replied by Grateful on topic Innerspring with latex
I'm going to visit Brickell Mattress in Miami this weekend and possibly Florida Organic as well. After that I should be able to decide if I still want innerspring with latex or just latex. I have herniated disks and find that I need a firmer mattress. I will let you know how things go.

13 May 2014 20:36 - 22 Jan 2019 03:59 #4 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Innerspring with latex
Hi Grateful,

I will let you know how things go.

I'm looking forward to your feedback after your visits :).

You may have seen this already but just in case ... the better options and possibilities I'm aware of in the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area are listed in post #2 here .

Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 03:59 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

20 May 2014 20:47 #5 by Grateful
Replied by Grateful on topic Innerspring with latex
Here is my update on mattress shopping in South Florida. Florida Organic never returned my phone calls. On the other hand I visited Brickell mattress and had the best mattress experience ever. Pedro was the most knowledgeable person I have every met in the industry and he was extremely kind as well. I enjoyed the Kostar by Carpe Diem but was drifting off to sleep on the Elite by VISpring. I like this one the best. I am trying to decide between downsizing to a Queen set or buying just the King mattress due to the price. I have a King size solid wood sleigh bed now and could use the existing box springs temporarily if I had to. Also would you suggest any comparable companies? I looked into Marshall Mattress out of Canada and they seem similar however there are no showrooms in the U.S. and I don't see where I can purchase online. I can see that their Bespoke have 15 yr. warranty while the ViSpring have a lifetime warranty. I'm curious about the price difference.

20 May 2014 22:46 - 23 Jan 2019 06:25 #6 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Innerspring with latex
Hi Grateful,

I would be very cautious and make some very careful value comparisons when you are looking at mattresses in this price range to make sure you are considering it for reasons that are important to you and that it really is a better choice in terms of PPP than mattresses that are in a much lower budget range.

You can read more about mattresses in more premium price ranges such as VI Springs in post #2 here and post #2 here .

I would also be aware that the warranty only covers defective workmanship or materials which is very different from the gradual loss of comfort and/or support over time which is the reason you would need to replace the mattress and a warranty has little to nothing to do with the useful life of a mattress (see post #174 here ).

Once you are past about 10 years on a mattress then I would consider anything beyond that as a bonus and in some cases your own changing needs and preferences over time may lead to the need to replace a mattress even if it's still in good condition.

When you are in these much higher budget ranges with more specialized mattresses I would also be very cautious about choosing a mattress that I hadn't tested in person.

Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 06:25 by AdminTMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

21 May 2014 15:26 #7 by Grateful
Replied by Grateful on topic Innerspring with latex
I appreciate all of your advice and I have been carefully weighing my decisions. I tested out all of the mattresses that I was interested in at Brickell Mattress. The latex were too soft for me and I don't like the sinking feeling of memory foam. The Elite VISpring is their entry level mattress and is no where near the cost of the others. I like the feel of a futon mattress and this combines that feeling with excellent support. What other companies are comparable in a lower budget range? Is there anyone who has owned a VISpring for 10 yrs. that could share how the feel the mattress has held up?

21 May 2014 17:37 - 21 May 2014 17:38 #8 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Innerspring with latex
Hi Grateful,

I would be cautious with their entry level mattress unless it was "perfect" for you based on your BMI and the only reason you were choosing it was that it was the best choice for you not just because it was the lowest cost model. You can see some recent feedback about the VI Spring Elite from one of the forum members in this topic .

Post #2 here may also be worth reading about comparing a VI Spring to other mattresses and post #4 here also has a list of other innerspring/natural fiber mattresses (including some of the ultra premium brands) but these are the types of mattresses that have more complex designs that aren't as easy to compare based on just the materials and components and you would need to test them in person to see how they compared because there is a wide range of differences in the general innerspring/natural fiber category both in terms of the type of innersprings, the fibers used, and the design and construction of the mattress.

Last edit: 21 May 2014 17:38 by Phoenix.

25 May 2014 21:32 #9 by Grateful
Replied by Grateful on topic Innerspring with latex
I am learning an immense amount of knowledge on mattresses. I will be in Massachusetts in a few weeks and will check out Gardner mattresses for the Ivory plush top. I also spoke with Tim from My Green Mattress and he could make me a two sided custom mattress with pocketed coils, cotton, wool and a layer of latex. (I don't think it's tufted) Even though I loved the VIspring Elte in the medium, it seems that it goes best with its own box spring and that sends the price for a King over $6000.

25 May 2014 21:41 #10 by Raksha14
Replied by Raksha14 on topic Innerspring with latex
I've found Gardner Mattress to be, so far, an admirable company. They have a good reputation; I believe that everything is made locally. I'm seriously considering getting one of their mattresses, but haven't made up my mind yet.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website