Any thoughts on Novusbed? 20 Dec 2012 18:03 #1

I'm looking for a king memory foam and am curious what you think of that brand. Frankly, the quality is more important to me than the pricing. We got a mattress from the Original Mattress Factory 2 1/2 years ago and it has already sagged and turned uncomfortable. No more box spring mattresses for us.

I'm also interested in opinion on adjustable bed frame. Is it worth it? Should I do split king or not?

I'm in the Minneapolis area.

Thanks much.

Last edit: by Kelor.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 20 Dec 2012 18:57 #2

I should also have mentioned that information overload makes me freeze. I would rather just have someone give me two great options and run with it!

Yor site is absolutely amazing!

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 20 Dec 2012 20:41 #3

Hi kbeaub,

You can see some of my thoughts about Novosbed in post #7 here .

The choice of an adjustable bed is a preference so only each person can answer for themselves whether or not it's worth it. For those who like the features and options they can provide (sitting up for watching a movie, working, or reading, massage for those who like this feature, or for elevated sleeping when suitable for those who would benefit from this) ... and I'm one of them ... it may well be worth it. For those who wouldn't use the features ... it wouldn't.

I personally have one not as a necessity or need but as a "luxury" which both of us enjoy (mainly for watching movies, reading, working on the computer in "relax" mode, or the occasional meal in bed :)). You can see some adjustable bed comparisons in post #2 here and the links it contains.

If you and your DH would want to use the adjustable bed in different positions (such as one reading and the other one sleeping etc) or if one of you has medical needs that would benefit from a different sleeping position from the other ... then a split king mattress may be a good idea. If not ... the adjustable bed will be split king anyway (they don't come in a single king) but a non split mattress would eliminate any issues from having a split in between two mattresses as a tradeoff for the lack of individual adjustment. Again ... this would be a preference choice and only you would know which was best for your circumstances. the remotes can be st to operate both of the split king units separately or together.

While I may not be able to narrow down your mattress choices to just two ... if you go by the memory foam list in post #12 here (along with Novosbed) you will at least have eliminated many of the worst online choices and you will have the means to make meaningful comparisons between them based on their specs (which better manufacturers or retailers will always provide) and on any other differences in service and options available between them (along the lines of post #46 here )

I would narrow down your choices to the one mattress at each manufacturer or retailer you wanted to consider (if you wanted fewer options you could always include just the ones who were members here) and then choose between your "best" choices at each one based on the quality/value of the mattress itself, the options provided both before and after the sale by each merchant, and on any of the other objective, subjective, and intangible considerations (including how you feel about talking with each one on the phone) and make your final choices between them.

In terms of the adjustable bed ... at least your list of sources is narrowed down to 3 :)

Hope this helps.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 21 Dec 2012 04:07 #4

Thank you so much. This is grat information.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 22 Dec 2012 18:46 #5

Ok. I went to several sleep stores have have decided I want a replica of either the Tempurpedic Grand Bed or the Luxe.
As soon as my wifes casts come off (long story), I will let her choose.

If I'm reading everything correctly, Memoryfoam.com has a bed nearly exact to the Luxe. Is that correct?

On edit: I now see that memoryfoam.com and selectfoam.com has a different makeup of their Grand Bed equivalent.

Memoryfoam.com

Unparralleled Luxury Comfort
2" of 8lb SELECT-HD™ in Pillowtop
4" 5.3 lb SELECT™ Support Layer
HIGH Conformity

Vs Selectfoam.com

3" 8lb SELECT-HD™ Memory Foam for unmatched pressure relief
2" 5.3lb SELECT™ Support Layer for help with joint and back pain relief
Highest level of body conforming for cradling comfort and support
Removable Cashmere cover for luxurious cooling in summer and warmth in winter

Last edit: by Kelor.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 22 Dec 2012 21:01 #6

Hi kbeaub,

Yes ... the Selectfoam models are designed to feel and perform very similarly to their equivalent in the Tempurpedic lineup. While no mattress that uses different variations of foam will feel "exactly" the same ... their mattresses are specifically designed and tested (both by Selectfoam itself and in side by side comparisons with Tempurpedic by customers in their bricks and mortar store) to be very similar to the Tempurpedic lineup.

The differences in layering (using similar or better foam quality) are because of the differences in the properties of the different foams so the layers will vary slightly from the Tempurpedic (even though the quality is the same or better) to take these differences into account. There are hundreds of different varieties of memory foam and polyfoam made by different manufacturers which have differences in feel and performance between them. In other words ... the goal is that the combination of materials (rather than any individual layers by themselves) are designed to be as close as possible.

Hope this helps.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 22 Dec 2012 23:41 #7

Thank you Phoenix.
The bed and Legg and Platt Prodigy adjustable base has been ordered. Juan at Selectfoam was very helpful.
They also have a Christmas special going on, which included another $300 off and a "9 piece bed bundle set". (2 pillows, mattress and pillow protectors, and sheets)

I will keep you posted as to how the process goes.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 23 Dec 2012 17:45 #8

Hi kebaub,

Congratulations on your new mattress ... and adjustable bed :)

Just as a matter of reference for other reading this ... there is usually an ongoing sale on their mattresses although the sale benefits can change from time to time.

I also hope you let them know you are a member here so that you received the additional 5% discount on your mattress.

I'm looking forward to your feedback when you've had a chance to sleep on it!

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 31 Dec 2012 15:31 #9

Still waiting for any shipments. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't gotten 2 of the 3 shipments so far. Juan did tell me that the mattress had to be made, so I wouldn't get it until either this week, or at the latest Jan 7.

The ones that are surprising that I haven't received yet are:

1) Bedding and Pillows - I hope these get here soon as this is our first king bed and I wanted to wait to buy more bedding after we determine if we like having the split king or just regular king sheets.

2) The Prodigy adjustable bed. According to Juan, I would likely be receiving this soon after the original order as it ships immediately. Getting the mattress before getting this part would be very disappointing.

I have sent an email to selectfoam to ask about status. Hopefully they will respond in a timely fashion.

on edit: When everything shows up, it will be time to buy at least one more set of sheets. Since I'm already in for a pound, thoughts on some spectacular sheets?

Last edit: by Kelor.

Re: Any thoughts on Novusbed? 31 Dec 2012 19:10 #10

Hi kbeaub,

Just speculating because I don't know all the details of how they ship but I think that the bedding package is included with the mattress so these may arrive together.

Also speculating ... the adjustable bed has to be shipped with truck freight rather than UPS which can take much longer (especially over holidays) from initial shipment to destination but of course they could probably tell you more about this as well.

I'm not what I would consider to be a bedding expert but if I had my choice in sheets I would choose between bamboo or other viscose fibers (for the soft feel and moisture wicking qualities of viscose) ... high quality Supima or Egyptian cotton (in a medium/high thread count not the highest possible thread count for breathability and overall quality and durability) or perhaps best of all Linen (flax fibers) because of their coolness, strength, and how they soften and become more comfortable over time.

There is more information and links to some resources for sheets and bedding in post #26 here along with post #3 here .

I know that Costco also has some good value cotton sheets from time to time.

Hope this helps