Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 21 Jan 2013 18:31 #1

Hello everyone,

I have been looking to purchase a natural latex mattress. I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 150 pounds. Hubby is 6'1" tall and weighs 190 pounds. I have fibromyalgia and hubby has a bad back, disc bulges, sciatica etc.

We have been through 3 mattresses in the last 5 years The one we currently have is a Simmons something or other. Medium firmness no pillowtop. It was good for the first 1.5 years and now causes back and neck pain. I purchased a memory foam topper that worked well for awhile.

I'm currently looking at the 8" Natural Latex from Habitat Furnishings and the 9" latex from Foam Sweet Foam. I really like the 365 no questions asked return policy from Habitat.

We would like a mattress that is not firm but not plush. We need support for our bodies.

I would love any suggestions. I'm so glad I found this board.

Kay

Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 21 Jan 2013 23:18 #2

I would like to add that after searching this site for hours, I am now leaning towards the Sleep Ez 9000. DH and I are back and side sleepers.

I live in El Paso, Texas 79912.

Thanks,

Kay

Last edit: by kaybaby.

Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 22 Jan 2013 02:47 #3

Hi kaybay,

As far as online sources go ... I think highly of Foam Sweet Foam (NOTE: They are now a member of this site) and I would certainly consider them as a good option over Habitat which uses good quality materials but is not great value compared to many other latex sources that are available. Some of the better online merchants for latex mattresses that I'm aware of are in post #21 here which along with FSF are the ones I would lean towards working with. All of the manufacturers listed there are members of the site (they were invited to become members because I consider them to be among the best quality/value in the country) and there are a wide variety of different designs and price ranges available through them (and they also offer an additional 5% discount or a product bonus to the forum members here which can be a nice perk). They are also very knowledgeable and experienced and can give you good guidance on the phone as well.

A forum search on foam sweet foam (you can just click this) will bring up more informationand feedback about them.

A forum search on habitat (you can also just click this) will bring up more about them as well.

Of course if Habitat's 365 day return policy is worth the higher cost of their mattresses and the fewer options they have available for you (each person may have a different idea of what is important to them and a different " value equation ") then it may be worth considering anyway but IMO this is mostly meaningless and rather gimmicky (I can't imagine someone taking this long to decide if they liked their mattress or not) and they don't offer layer exchanges, have a more limited selection of design options, less ability to customize the layering both before and after a purchase, and in spite of all of this also have a much higher price tag in "apples to apples" comparisons.

There aren't a lot of latex options in the El Paso area but there are a few that would be worth considering that are listed in post #2 here . If nothing else they can give you some good general reference points about the firmness of latex that you prefer and this can be useful whether you make a local purchase or decide to purchase online.

Hope this helps.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 22 Jan 2013 15:37 #4

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will go by Popular Mattress, they are locally owned with their own factory. They primarily sell their own brand of mattress, but also sell Tempur Pedic. I will go and see if they have latex. Furniture Row (Denver Mattress) is where our current mattress is from, I will go by and see what they have on the floor by way of Latex.

I have slept on a Tempur Pedic, but did not like how far I was sucked down. I'm really more interested in Latex over Memory Foam.

Thanks again,

Vonda

Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 22 Jan 2013 18:02 #5

Hi kaybaby,

I had a brief conversation with Popular Mattress today and they sell traditional innersprings and latex hybrids (latex/polyfoam and latex innersprings) and some of them have a mix of latex and memory foam in the comfort layers.

They also sell some major brands (Tempurpedic, Simmons ) but I would tend to ignore these and focus on the mattresses they manufacture which would be much better value.

Denver mattress also sells mattresses they make themselves (including 2 mostly latex models) along with some major brands (which I would ignore there as well).

Cannot decide on Latex Mattress. Suggestions welcomed 22 Jan 2013 22:09 #6

Hi kaybaby,

Thanks so much for the leg work. I will visit both stores this week.

Vonda