mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Thinking of taking the latex plunge!

10 Apr 2013 16:34 #1 by worldgirl
Hi Phoenix.

Great site - I'm so glad I found it. Over the years, I've purchased and been happy with two Simmons Beautyrest plush pillowtop mattresses. It was time to replace, and I saw the Bay had a great deal on a top of the line Sealy right before Christmas, so I tried it out. One month later, there was a noticable impression already! I exchanged the mattress for another (more expensive) mattress I had my eye on - the Beautyrest Black Esteem III. Ahhh! It was like being on a cloud, largely due to the layer of memory foam on the top. Twice the price, but I was so excited...

They delivered the new mattress. But it didn't feel like at all like the mattress I had tried in the showroom! Way more firm. At first I thought I was imagining things, so I went back and tried the mattress again. The one in the showroom was so luxurious. But the top layer of what was delivered was definitely not luxurious and definitely not memory foam. After talking to the Bay and to the Simmons rep, they delivered another mattress. I declined delivery because it was the same problem - no top layer of memory foam. Simmons never did get to the bottom of this, saying the 'recipe card' wouldn't have changed. He said to wait a couple weeks for the 2013 version of the same model, and lo and behold, they've removed the top layer of memory foam! I suspect the new 'recipe card' snuck in a few months early. In any case, the salesperson at the Bay was fantastic throughout, and after all that, I am returning the mattress for a full refund. Which leaves me no mattress as of this Saturday!

I figured I'd visit Mattress Mattress. He gave me a "Beducation" and introduced me to latex mattresses. He said to google it. So I did, and then I found you :woohoo:

I live in Edmonton, so there are not a ton of options here. I am going to take a day to go down to Calgary next week to check out Labbe and Haltead as you've recommended. I'm a bit confused about Halstead because there is also Calgary Mattress Makers which is operated by Dean Halstead. Is that also a place you would recommend? Is the name a coincidence? www.calgarymattressmakers.ca/

Also, I'm wondering if you're familar with Sprout sproutsleep.com/sprout-offerings/index.php . They are close by, so I think I'll take a trip over there. They sell Sprout mattresses and also Tangerine mattresses - any opinion on those? tangerinefoam.com/

I wake up with pretty bad back pain probably 8-10 days of every month. I always thought it was due to my bad back - or being a woman if you know what I mean - but I'm beginning to think that's not true and I've probably been sleeping on mattresses that aren't the best for me. I'm definitely curvy and a straight spine is a big concern, as I'm strictly a side sleeper. But I honestly love the feeling of sinking into (but still being supported by) my mattress at night. There's nothing laying down for the night and saying "I LOVE my mattress!"

I must admit I'm a little intimidated by some of the prices on The Mattress & Sleep Companies website (ie the Green Sleeps). I know you've mentioned in other threads that their prices are high, but perhaps I'll visit there anyways. Wherever I end up, hopefully I can find something in the $2000 range. Is that wishful thinking?

Any feedback or advice you have would be great appreciated. Thanks in advance, and thanks for the great resource :)

10 Apr 2013 21:11 - 10 Apr 2013 21:13 #2 by Phoenix
Hi worldgirl,

Wow! I would normally have suggested that the difference in firmness was because your mattress was new and hadn't yet broken in (which usually takes about 30 days but can take up to 90 days or so) but the "missing memory foam" is a different matter completely. Even though little surprises me any more when it comes to major manufacturers ... I have to admit that this is rather bizarre ... even by their standards. I'm glad you had the presence of mind to recognize what was wrong.

The better options I'm aware of in the Edmonton area are in post #136 here .

In the Calgary area they are listed in post #2 here .

The two "Halsteads" are members of the same family but are completely different businesses and not connected in any way.

The two manufacturers I recommend are the two that are members of the site (which are the only manufacturers or retailers that I officially recommend) but of course it is always be a good idea to compare other mattresses based on the materials and components in each mattress and on your own personal value equation because the membership here is not the only source of good value.

I would also make sure that you've read post #1 here which includes all the information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible decisions.

I don't think it's wishful thinking no ... depending of course on the size, construction and materials of the mattress and what else comes with it. It may be wishful thinking for a Greensleep but I personally wouldn't hesitate to visit TMASC and talk to Daniel or any of the people there because they are exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable. The worst case is that it will give you some good reference points, some good information, and one more option in your final choices regardless of what you end up choosing. Sometimes it is well worth looking at more costly options and comparing them to other choices that you have so you can see whether any differences in PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) or any other objective, subjective, or intangible differences are important or significant enough enough to you to justify the extra cost.

Last edit: 10 Apr 2013 21:13 by Phoenix.

11 Apr 2013 03:28 #3 by worldgirl
Bizarre is right. They probably thought I was a bit crazy....but lucky for me, the EXACT same thing happened to another customer right around the same time, so there were two of us dealing with the same issue. We both ended up returning our mattresses!

I went to TMASC tonight and spent some time with Daniel. You're right - he was knowledgeable and simply awesome! I tried out a few beds and this was my favorite. Having a mattress you can unzip and customize is crazy cool! But with a price tag of over $4300, it's unfortunately over my budget:
sleeptek.ca/products/euro-4-mattress

I also liked the Sprout Mollis, and he's clearing out the floor model for half price which would end up being approx $1225 including a foundation:
sproutsleep.com/sprout-offerings/sprout-mattresses.php

I'm off to Calgary next week to visit Halstead and Labbe, and perhaps they'll have something similiar to the Sleeptek in my price range. Thanks for the advice!

11 Apr 2013 04:19 - 11 Apr 2013 04:19 #4 by Phoenix
Hi worldgirl,

Thanks for the feedback. I've had many great conversations with Daniel about mattresses and the industry and he is truly "mattress people" and passionate about what he does.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your Calgary experiences.

Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 04:19 by Phoenix.

04 Aug 2013 11:22 #5 by jwind55
Hello Worldgirl!

I also live in Edmonton and would love to know how you made out in Calgary with Halstead and Labbe, and whether you've purchased anything yet.

I've also made the rounds of The Mattress and Sleep Company, Tangerine Foams, Mattress Mattress (after starting with all the typical chains) - and have "made up my mind" MANY times, only to change it again just as many times. Since you seem to have been ahead of me on the same path, your experience could be extremely helpful to me if you have time to post again.

Many thanks,
Janice

05 Aug 2013 09:24 #6 by worldgirl
Hi, jwind55

Great to connect with a fellow Edmontonian. It feels like everything we have here is sooo expensive! I actually never made it to Calgary as my trip got cancelled. As luck would have it, I have another meeting there this week, so I'm going to try stopping by Halstead and/or Labbe, and I'll update the post if/when I do.

In the meantime, I'm becoming more and more interested in the Sleepteks. I saw the Euro IV in the TMSC showroom and really like it. It's taking me some time to get past the sticker shock, however. Carbon Environmental Boutique sells the Sleeptek Classic versions. They are priced better than TMSC. Unfortunately, Carbon doesn't carry the Euro lines. So I'm still in decision mode.

Let me know if you have any updates as well. Have a great afternoon!

07 Aug 2013 22:00 #7 by jwind55
Hi Worldgirl,

If you haven't already been to Calgary and back (and if you didn't already know this), there's also a store called EQ3 in Calgary that carries a latex mattress made by Natura. www.eq3.com/ca/en/p25712/pure-mattress There's already some info about it on this forum if you search EQ3.

The Euro IV is really the only Sleeptek I find somewhat soft, but not sure if it's soft enough that I want to spend that much $$.

I noticed you mentioned Tangerine Foam in a post back in April but Phoenix didn't comment on them. Their prices seem more reasonable but they only have one firmness, which is probably somewhere around a medium. Their Valencia and Clemintine are made with HD polyfoam over latex, but they will customize whatever thickness of latex you want (including all latex). I'm pretty sure the owner (Jabir) said it's 100% natural talalay, but my memory's not reliable. They also make the Sprout line and carry the Hypnos line.

I tried out Foam King's latex mattress but found it too firm (they only offer one firmness as well).

One place I haven't been to or researched yet is FDY Furniture - their website shows 3 latex or latex/foam mattresses.

And I finally tried out Ikea's Edsele last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. And they do have a trial period, but I'm not sure on the details yet.

I will for sure keep you updated and look forward to hearing how you make out as well!

08 Aug 2013 13:46 - 08 Aug 2013 13:50 #8 by Phoenix
Hi jwind55 and Worldgirl,

Strangely enough I didn't notice the mention of Tangerine foam when I read the post and didn't know about them (their focus on mattresses is relatively new). I had also been doing some research in Edmonton including some of the other stores you mentioned to bring the list more up to date but hadn't completed it so your comments and mention of several of the options there were a good excuse to update the Edmonton list today (which is now done).

Unfortunately they don't carry the custom Natura line any longer and only sell Simmons and Curtis and Chris mattresses (which are made by Springwall). I have also talked with Springwall and they will provide the specs of all their mattresses (including foam densities) which is great to see and very unusual for a mid size manufacturer. They will even provide this information directly to consumers if the retailer doesn't want to provide the specs themselves.

As I complete my research there I will add any more that are among the better options and worth including as well. The mattress options in Edmonton are better than they were a year ago. Thanks for putting the Edmonton research back on the front burner :)

Last edit: 08 Aug 2013 13:50 by Phoenix.

10 Aug 2013 21:55 #9 by worldgirl
I just thought I'd post a quick update. I managed to sneak in a visit to Halstead while in Calgary. Martin was extremely knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. He started off suggesting a coil mattress (I'm pretty curvy!), but I pretty much have my mind set on latex. So he showed me some latex mattresses. He mapped me on four different configurations and the one I liked was the one that I apparently mapped best on.

For a queen bed with a boxspring, then a split 7" 40 core, then a split 3" 20 insert, then a queen bamboo plush casing, the quote is roughly $2500. That was after a 15% discount as they're having a sale until the end of the month. It's still a bit higher than I wanted to go, but certainly less than the Euro at TMSC. Shipping to Edmonton is handled by another company, and I'm not sure of the exact quote (I think Martin said around $200). I will be back at the end of August and plan to make another trip to Halstead to spend a bit more time laying on the mattress I like. I never did see the mapping images. I'm going to ask Martin to send me a copy (I'm not sure if that's standard practice?) The one big concern I have is a few very negative posts on Homestars.com. It seems like some people are very unhappy in the past year or so. Odd thing is others rave about the place, so it's a tough call.

Carbon Environmental Boutique quoted me roughly the same price for the Sleeptek Classic 3000.

Thankfully I think I'm getting closer to a decision...! Let me know if you have any updates as well :)

10 Aug 2013 22:47 #10 by jwind55
Worldgirl! Thanks for taking the time to post again.

I just sent a post to Phoenix under a new topic here which would fill you in on where I'm at right now, but probably nothing there that would be much help to you at this point - sorry. Other than this "lovely" experience at MattressMattress , I haven't had much time to do any more looking.

I'm glad you're getting closer to finding something. Halstead seems like it may be a good option. Even though the price is on the higher side, it seems like pretty good value for something that's customized. I've also wondered about the discrepancy in reviews on them. It may be worthwhile to just ask him straight up about what you've read and see what he says.

When you say "40 core" and "20 insert" - are those the ILD #s?

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website