Budget latex foam mattress choices: Now with Aloe Alexis thoughts/impressions 18 Apr 2013 01:43 #1

I'm a college student shopping for a mattress to use when I move into an apartment this summer. I've been doing some research and I've settled on something with latex foam in the comfort layer. I've come up with a few cost-sensitive options:
  1. Ultimate Dreams latex @ Amazon ($600, free pillow)
  2. Brooklyn Bedding Cotton Camilla ($800, 2 free pillows, 5% discount)
  3. Firmer innerspring mattress/boxpring combo with 2" Talalay topper from BB ($230 + $500?)
My goal is to save money where possible while not cutting enough corners to sacrifice comfort and durability. I'm looking for something on the slightly soft side of medium but with good support. I sleep mostly on my back and side, as does my girlfriend. I also don't want to sink into the mattress as with memory foam. Am I correct in thinking that 2) with its 1" soft reflex foam layer will sink in less than the 1.5" layer of 1)? I've just sent an email to Brooklyn Bedding regarding that, but I thought some additional opinions might help me decide.

I like that the Cotton Camilla has a zipper and comes with a 120 day free exchange policy, shipping included, for the latex comfort layer. I also like that I can easily swap out the other layers if/when they wear out in future years. These seem to make the added expense worth it.

The third option would be to buy a firmer innerspring mattress locally. Midwest Mattress is on the member list and offers a 5% discount. I could then add a topper from Brooklyn Bedding and hope it will work out. I like the idea of having some extra springiness but 1) and 2) are a tested combination.

My current thought is to go with #2 and pair it with a metal frame ( link ) and a cover ( link ).

Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

-Michael

Last edit: by amd20x6.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 18 Apr 2013 03:57 #2

Hi amd20x6,

Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should consider?

I think you are exactly on track and are making choices between good and good. Once you have eliminated all the worst options (which you have) then your final choices will really be dependent on your own personal value equation which nobody else can decide for you.

One part of this would be to decide on your confidence level that you are making the best possible choice in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and ask yourself what your options would be if for some reason you make the wrong comfort choice. The ability to exchange a layer (or a topper) may be an important part of "value" for you and would be well worth considering as part of the "value" of your purchase. You can see more of my thoughts about making final choices between "good and good" that are along a similar line (but between different options) in post #2 here .

Overall ... from a quality and value perspective ... I don't think that you could go wrong with any of your options and you are certainly have better choices than the vast majority of people who buy lower quality/value mattresses from major brands and chain stores.

I'm looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :)

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 18 Apr 2013 16:19 #3

Thanks for confirming my research so far and for the fast response.

The ability to exchange layers definitely adds some value to me. I don't like the idea of buying the $600 dreamfoam sight unseen only to find that I bought something too soft. Likewise, I don't want to buy something too firm then have to spend extra on a softening layer to put on top. The results might not be as predictable and I don't want to put myself further from the support layers.

I'll head to the local mattress stores this Friday to see what I find. I've found a couple nearby that sell mattresses with latex foam in them. Hopefully I'll be able to determine their composition and work with Brooklyn Bedding to find a similar firmness level.

I've pretty much decided against buying an innerspring and topper separately. I'm sure it could work out well but I could also end up with an innerspring mattress that's too firm on its own and a topper that feels out-of-place on top of it.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 18 Apr 2013 17:06 #4

Hi amd20x6,

I agree with you here unless you have the chance to test the specific combination together in person. If you buy a mattress and a topper separately it can still be a better option than some of the worse choices many people have (such as if they are exchanging a mattress and there are few good quality/value options in the store) but in most cases when you buy a mattress and a topper separately you are introducing a variable that is difficult to predict when the components aren't designed specifically to work together in terms of their progressive firmness levels and design unless exchanging the topper is as risk free as exchanging a layer in a mattress that offers it.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 19 Apr 2013 17:35 #5

Here's what I found from my research. Store info (set price) in order of preference.
  1. Midwest Mattress Restonic Nevada Luxury Plush, 2" talalay comfort (20-24 ILD?) over 5" talalay core(40 ILD?) over 4" polyfoam ($1499)
  2. Lebeda Heritage Plush, 3" talalay comfort layer over 805 coils ($1049)
  3. Midwest Mattress Restonic Rose Hill Plush Eurotop, 1" talalay, 1" memory foam ($899)
  4. Mattress Firm Sealy Posturepedic (Plush), no latex/memory foam ($525, 50% off sale price, floor model)
  5. Lebeda Opulence Pillowtop, ?" talalay comfort layer over 2125 coils ($3k+)
  6. Lebeda Reve (Pillowtop), ?" talalay comfort layer over 805 coils ($1.3k?)

So it looks like I prefer plush mattresses. I like the combination of support and softness. I'm going to ask Restonic and Lebeda about the ILD of numbers 1) and 2). Midwest Mattress' numbers were off the top of the salesperson's head and I'd like to verify them. Lebeda dodged the issue and didn't want to say.

I know I really do like latex because of my experience at Lebeda. The salesperson had me try a good number of mattresses to narrow it down. While I was back on a cheaper mattress I mentioned that I was looking into latex foam, and he mentioned that my favorite (#2) had a talalay layer in it. So I thought it was just a traditional innerspring when I had tried it but really liked it.

I was going to check the table at Brooklyn Bedding but their website blew up and every link tries to send me to a logo mug store. Strange. A quick whois search shows their domain to be parked...

I'm glad I did research online first. I was given a lot of misinformation- "memory foam is more durable than latex" for one. I did not like a single memory foam mattress. I was probably OK with 3) because it only has an inch of it.

Last edit: by amd20x6.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 20 Apr 2013 02:52 #6

Brooklyn Bedding is still down. I'm hoping this is a mistake and not a sudden disappearance!

Budget latex foam mattress choices 20 Apr 2013 03:22 #7

Hi amd20xt,

It almost looks like their site has been hacked or something.

They have been around for many years and I have no doubt they plan to be here for many more but if I find out what is happening before their site comes back I'll post it here.

I'm guessing they are probably more frustrated even than the people that are trying to reach their site.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 20 Apr 2013 05:12 #8

Hi amd20xt,

I just received an email from Brooklyn Bedding and apparently their server crashed and they are in the process of moving to a dedicated server. They should be up and running by tomorrow.

Budget latex foam mattress choices 20 Apr 2013 11:10 #9

Good to know. Thank you!

Budget latex foam mattress choices 21 Apr 2013 01:26 #10

Hi amd20x6,

Just for clarity ... ILD information is not part of what I would consider to be "necessary disclosure" and when you are testing mattresses locally it is not really meaningful because your own testing will tell you much more about the relative softness and firmness of a mattress and it's suitability for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in a much more meaningful way than any ILD information or any other "comfort specs".

ILD is legitimate proprietary information about a mattress design because it has no connection with the quality of a mattress and there is no real reason for a local manufacturer to disclose them (although some of them do anyway).

PS: The Brooklyn Bedding site has been back up since this afternoon :)

Last edit: by Phoenix.