Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 27 Aug 2013 21:36 #1

After reading your site for days and doing lots of research, we are thinking about buying the Sleep EZ all latex 8" special due to the price of $1245 (which seems a very good value for an all natural latex mattress) and the company's good reputation. I am wondering if you think the 2" comfort layer will be enough for our "stats" and what you think of Sleep EZ's reccomendation for us after hearing our sizes and sleep habits: soft top, medium middle, firm bottom. I know we can switch the order if needed and even replace layers if we don't like what we get, but would rather get it right the first time if we can! We are each about 180 pounds, one 6'2 and one 5'7. We are both a mix of side and back sleepers with more side. Also, as member of this forum, do we get a 5% discount at Sleep EZ and./or free pillows?

Your mattress forum has been SO helpful as we've tried to figure out what our best bet might be given our needs and budget. Thanks!

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 27 Aug 2013 22:23 #2

Hi moolee,

The SleepEz special is certainly a good quality/value choice and uses high quality materials.

Post #2 here has more about how to make comfort and design choices and if you aren't able to test a mattress in person then the guidance and suggestions of a manufacturer is by far the best way to make a choice. They know more about which options are more likely to work well for different body types and sleeping styles based on "averages" than anyone else. their suggestion would be a "standard" layering for that mattress for someone of your weight and sleeping style.

They don't offer the 5% discount on the SleepEz Special because it really is a low margin "special" and they only have a "pillow bonus".

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 28 Aug 2013 19:32 #3

Thanks for your response!

After talking with Sleep EZ more today and visiting a local latex mattress store to try some configurations out, I think I will really like the 8" special. However, I now have a few more questions:

1- EZ suggested covering my older box springs (which has actual springs and isn't firm enough to use as is) with plywood and using that for the base. But the mattress store sales person said never put latex on a solid surface and that I would need to put the mattress on a slatted surface (covered with fabric or not). What do you think? Will the latex mattress be okay resting diredctly on a plywood-topped base?

2- The 8" EZ special has a thin cotton/rayon cover with no quilting. The mattress store sales person said that you should always have a thicker cover on latex claiming that a thin cover will not protect the latex enough and that the mattress won't last as long. Should we be concerned about that? I was planning to use some sort of thin wool pad for protection on the mattress. Should I be worried about the sides and bottom not being protected with just the thin cotton covering?

3- EZ agreed we get two free pillows. Any thoughts on solid vs. shredded latex for the pillows? We can choose either.

Thanks!

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 28 Aug 2013 21:07 #4

Hi moolee,

It will probably be OK as long as there aren't other risk factors which can add to the chance of moisture and humidity building up in the mattress (see post #10 here ). My preference (and probably theirs as well) would be a slatted foundation such as the one that SleepEz sells or some of the others in the foundation post here but it would likely be fine in terms of supporting the mattress.

I wouldn't be concerned at all no. SleepEz has decades of experience with latex mattresses and has more knowledge about latex and suitable covers than most of the manufacturers in the country. They won't steer you wrong. While it's true that a very thin cover is not a good idea because latex can degrade with exposure to ozone and ultraviolet light (see post #6 here for a link to a list of substances that can degrade latex) ... the cover they use is thicker and high quality and will be fine. There are many people who prefer the feel of sleeping more directly on the latex which allows it to contour a little more effectively instead of a mattress with a quilted cover (such as wool or other fibers which can help with temperature regulation or polyfoam which can modify the surface "feel" of the mattress for those who prefer it).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 29 Aug 2013 16:48 #5

Thanks for your advice. Still liking the EZ option best for online.

But...just discovered a great local deal. Someone is closing out their Natura Organics line and I could get an Ecorestore for half of list, which would be under $1700 with the following specs: organic stretch ticking and 4.2 wool for quilt, 1" all natural talalay top, 2 " medium all natural talalay, and 6" natural dunlop core (doesn't say firmness level for core).

Wondering if you think this would be a good deal and that it might be a good option for me vs getting the 8" dunlop EZ special (2" soft and 3" each of medium, hard). I am assuming the Natura doesn't have a zipper for reversing layers, but not sure. Plus,obviously can't switch out layers like I could with EZ if I don't like it. But it does seem like good price for getting the wool covering and an extra inch of latex vs. the EZ 8".

For reference, what I've liked best that I tried out in person locally was another brand's 9" organic natural latex with 3" soft talalay on top, 3" medium talalay in middle , and 3" extra firm dunlop on bottom (they only had one with extra firm on the bottom).

Any advice appreciated!

Last edit: by moolee. Reason: typo

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 29 Aug 2013 18:52 #6

Hi moolee,

You didn't mention the size you are considering or whether it is mattress only or a set but it certainly uses good quality materials and appears to have very good value as well (assuming it's new and not a floor model or a return). It would have the advantage that you could test it in person to confirm that it was suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) so exchanging layers may not be as important to you.

It's always great to have more options so that you can choose between "good and good" when you are making final choices but in the end only each person can decide which of the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are part of every mattress purchase are most important to them. :)

I'm looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 29 Aug 2013 19:38 #7

I'm shopping for a queen. It might be a floor model. Is that always a problem? It doesn't include the foundation.

The list on the queen mattress for this model is around $3,300. Plus, I'm wondering if the warranty might be an issue if since the retailer is discontinuing the brand. Do you think I should contact the manufacturer on that? And I think I read somewhere (maybe this forum?) that Natura makes you buy one of their foundations or the warranty is void. Do you know if that's true?

I haven't actually seen it yet. Was planning on going tomorrow.

Also, given that I am trying to stay on a pretty tight budget and given what I am trying to accomplish (good value for all natural layers of Talalay and Dunlop combo of 8 or 9"), do you think I should consider anything beyond these two options?

Thanks!

Last edit: by moolee.

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 29 Aug 2013 21:56 #8

Hi moolee,

If it's a floor model then it would depend on how you feel about buying a mattress that has been used for testing by many people and how you feel about buying a mattress without a warranty or exchange policy (with most manufacturers floor models don't usually qualify for warranty coverage).

I would also be aware that if the Natura is from the pre bankruptcy days then Spring Air / Sommex (the new owner of Natura) may not honor any warranty issues if that is an important consideration for you.

Natura uses good quality materials in their latex mattresses but they were also overpriced IMO and I would compare them to other mattresses that are similar rather than their "regular" prices. The price you have been quoted though is very good value for a new mattress that has 9" of all natural Talalay and a thicker wool quilting.

These are questions that only you can answer. I don't know where you live so I don't know what is available to you locally (I'd be happy to link you to the local forum list if there is one if you provide your city or zip) and I also don't know all the specific criteria that are the most important parts of your personal value equation but I'm assuming you've looked through the list of the online manufacturers that are members here that were linked in the "read first" post and who also sell latex mattresses. The SleepEz special certainly seems to meet your criteria, uses all natural Talalay and Dunlop, and has some very good options for making adjustments and/or exchanging a layer if you need to so it's certainly a very good and flexible option.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 29 Aug 2013 22:04 #9

Helpful, thanks! We live near SF. I find foamorder.com's website very confusing. Do you think it would be worth it to call or visit them, though?

Advice re buying Sleep EZ all latex 8" special 30 Aug 2013 00:02 #10

Hi moolee,

I find foamorder.com's website very confusing.

I do too.

Do you think it would be worth it to call or visit them, though?

I don't think a call can ever hurt to see what options they may suggest and then you can decide if you think it's worth going there to see how what they offer compares to what you already have available.

There are also some good options available in the San Francisco area that are listed in post #2 here . I would tend to do most of your initial research on their websites and/or on the phone and then pick the 2 or 3 that you think are most worth visiting and within your budget range based on your phone calls and website research.

Last edit: by Phoenix.