Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 18 Sep 2013 09:14 #1

Hello everyone. I just purchased an 11" Cool Supreme from Brooklyn Bedding and I'm going to keep this post updated with my status. Hopefully my experience will be useful to someone in the future.

First a little about me, I'm 30 years old, 5'10" and 170lbs. I've usually always slept on firm mattresses and never really had a problem. My wife and I bought a firm king size innerspring mattress with a pillow top about 2 years ago. It was fine for maybe the first 6 months to a year. But then I started having problems. I'm a side sleeper and would wake up in the middle of the night with terrible hip pain, almost a burning feeling. Now it's to the point of being in pain every night/day.

So I started the long process of mattress shopping. I decided to go the memory foam route since that seems to be the best for alleviating pain. I also decided not to get the firmest one I could find. Between this site, sleeplikethedead, and many others I did my homework. I wasn't convinced that for memory foam you had to get an expensive brand since its more about the materials used and less about the manufacturing. I was tempted to go with latex because I was worried about the "sleeping hot" side effect of memory foam. So after looking around I decided to give Brooklyn Bedding a chance. Went with the Cool Supreme because it claimed to be closest to the Cloud Supreme from Tempurpedic which I had tried in a store.

I got the mattress yesterday and got it unpacked. It took its shape within a few hours but I'm still giving it the recommended 24 hours before a full nights sleep. There is some off gassing smell, but I don't think its too bad. Our bed frame is one with slats so the mattress is going right on to that. I bought a few sheets of hardboard to lay between the slats and the mattress to help even out the weight and give the mattress a more solid base. We also got 2 latex pillows with the order, they seem nice.

It seems to be about the firmness I was hoping for, fairly firm but you still sink in a little. Since I think too firm of a mattress was my problem with the old one, I'm hoping its not too firm. If you want a soft one you really sink in to, probably try a different one.

Like I said I will try and keep updating this post as time goes on. Some reviews I have read on memory foam mattresses seem to suggest people love them for the first 6 months and then they start giving out. So I will try to update you all next week, next month, in 6 months, and next year with my experience. In the mean time though don't hesitate to reach out.

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 18 Sep 2013 10:05 #2

Hi steve7,

Thanks for the feedback ... I appreciate it ... and congratulations on your new mattress :)

I'm also looking forward to your ongoing updates. I think that updates that are written months later are much less common and difficult to find. High quality memory foam certainly won't give out in 6 months but it's not unusual at all for lower quality/density memory foams.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 25 Sep 2013 08:59 #3

Well we're one week in on the new mattress.
The off gassing smell (which was very minimal anyway) went away in a day or so. Still seems to be a pretty firm mattress even though it's listed as medium plush from the manufacturer. Seems to be good quality from the initial review. As a side note, we like the latex pillows we got from them however for myself I probably needed the low profile pillow.

The jury is still out on my pain relief. There have still been a few nights I've had some hip pain, but seems to be less than with my old mattress. So hopefully some more updates to follow. My wife loves it though so I guess that's all that matters :)

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 20 Oct 2013 06:51 #4

Ok, 1 month in and I'm probably going to talk to Brooklyn Bedding about an exchange. I think the Cool Supreme is a great mattress so I dont want to discourage anyone from getting it. My issues are around the pain I usually seem to have sleeping on it, so its a personal preference thing and not necessarily anything bad about the mattress.

I've been back and forth on the firmness with it and initially thought it felt pretty firm. I think over the month it has settled in to more of the "medium-plush" feel that they advertise. So now when I wake up I've sank into it a few inches, so good thing if that's what you're looking for.

The reason I'm thinking about an exchange, I travel for work so occasionally I spend a few nights in a hotel. Recently I spent a week in a hotel and had a pain free and full nights sleep experience. I tried paying close attention to that mattress versus mine. It seemed like the hotel mattress was an innerspring with no pillow top or comfort layer on it. So it was pretty basic.

Since my last mattress was firm and I read that could be the problem I went with this medium plush one, but I'm wondering if my problem on the last mattress wasnt that it was firm, but that it had a 3" pillow top I sank in to too much. Maybe I just need to buy a sheet of plywood and sleep on that!

So I'll talk to Brooklyn Bedding this week and see what they have to say. Hopefully I'll be able to review my experience with either an exchange or return with them.

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 20 Oct 2013 17:00 #5

Hi steve7,

Thanks for taking the time to share your latest update.

I would be careful making this assumption as there would almost certainly be comfort layers of foam or fibers above the innerspring that would be perhaps the most significant part of how the mattress felt and performed (even if there was no pillowtop). There may also have been a bedding package that was part of its feel and performance (which is often the case with hotel mattresses). Even ultra firm mattresses have softer comfort layers on top of the support components so it's usually the thickness and firmness of the comfort layers rather than having none at all.

If only it was that easy as buying some plywood ... choosing a sleeping system would be a lot less difficult :)

The most important thing that I would pay attention to is the thickness and softness of the comfort layer regardless of the firmness of the support system or the mattress "as a whole". The most most common reason for hip pain for side sleepers is a comfort layer that is too firm or too firm or thin where you can feel the firmness of either the sleeping surface itself or the support layers "through" the comfort layers. These are pressure point issues. In your case though another reason may be that your hips are out of their neutral alignment and sinking down too far which can hyperextend the hip joint and can lead to the burning feeling you were mentioning previously from joints, muscles, and ligaments that are stretched beyond their neutral alignment. This is more of an alignment issue except instead of spinal alignment it's about joint alignment.

Accurately identifying the underlying cause of any symptoms you are having can go a long way to making the most suitable choice in the next round.

Thanks again for your ongoing feedback :)

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 22 Oct 2013 08:13 #6

Thanks for all your input Phoenix, its definitely been a journey trying to get a good nights sleep. In regards to your last post, I do think my last innerspring mattress was probably cheaply made and that was probably causing me issues more than anything. Regardless of the pillow top I noticed some sagging so it was probably failing as a whole.

Growing up I always slept on firm mattresses without much of a pillow top. So when the wife and I were looking for a new king size thats why I went with a firm innerspring, but as I said I might have just bought one that was poorly constructed. I got the Cool Supreme from Brooklyn Bedding because I read a softer mattress might be what I needed, but not sure if thats it.

I'm a skinny guy but it feels like my hips take all the weight when I sleep, so I think my hips sink in the most while the rest of my torso and legs stay more elevated. I've tried the pillow between the legs tricks and also putting some towels under my hips and that seems to help a little. I also go to a chiropractor pretty regularly so I should be getting put back in alignment when things go haywire.

Like I said I travel for work and usually a hotel mattress has been great for me, nice and firm, so thats what I'm basing my opinion on to try firmer. I'm traveling right now and the mattress seems like its just a normal innerspring without much of a comfort layer and I had a pain free night. I just got off the phone with Brooklyn Bedding and I'm going to try their Cool Symphony which advertises and being medium firm. There's another inch or so to the base layer and the top comfort layer is 4lb instead of 5lb, so hopefully that firms it up a little without being overkill. Either way Brooklyn Bedding has been great to deal with and I bought from them because of their exchange policy, so its nice to see they stay true to their word and are making the exchange process relatively easy. (if only they'd come carry it up the stairs for me!)

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 29 Oct 2013 06:28 #7

I think I'm going to put a hold on exchanging my Brooklyn Bed until I can do some more research. I was home for the weekend and had hip pain each night, I'm back on the road this week sleeping on the same type of mattress I have been for a couple weeks and got the best nights sleep last night. This time though I tore off the sheets to have a look at this thing. Its a Jamison bed that says 100% polyurethane on the tag and had the word "supreme" on the tag. Did a quick google search and it looks like this bed is known as the Marriott bed., which I think translates to the resort supreme on their website.

I went to Jamisons web site and they don't give a lot of details on the construction and materials specs used other than stating its a 7" high density base with a 1" super soft foam and 2" hypersoft blend comfort layer. I originally thought I was sleeping on an innerspring because it seemed very "springy", so if I push down on to it, it just springs right back into shape. Does anyone know more details about the construction of this mattress?

So given this I'm wondering if I might just not prefer memory foam? I know I could reach out to Jamison now and get that same bed, but I'm concerned about the longevity of the mattress and if it will hold up over the years. If I went with latex instead of memory foam, does latex provide the springy feeling of traditional innerspring or does it behave like memory foam?

Last edit: by steve7.

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 29 Oct 2013 07:48 #8

My 3 year old can bounce on my Aloe Alexis (Latex from BB). It feels nothing like memory foam to me!

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 29 Oct 2013 12:34 #9

Hi Mike7,

Latex is a highly resilient fast response foam and memory foam is a very low resilience slow response foam and they are as close to opposite as two types of foam could be.

There's more about the differences between them and how they compare in post #2 here but personal testing is really the best way to "feel" the general differences between them (both types have a range of different versions and softness levels) and decide which one you prefer.

Polyfoam such as supersoft and hypersoft is also a higher resilience material than memory foam and like latex is also a fast response material.

The density of polyfoam and memory foam is the single most important factor in its durability.

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Supreme - An owners saga 29 Oct 2013 14:19 #10

Thanks for the reply jefmoody, do you know what firmness level you have and how do you think the mattress feels in actuality compared to that firmness level? Do you like it overall? Any complaints or comments?