Allura VS. Luxe 05 Nov 2013 13:38 #1

Hello!

I bought a Tmperpedic Cloud Luxe and husband loves it. But I don't! I need something a little firmer, would the Allura be a logical next step? How much better would it be?

Thanks
Julie

Allura VS. Luxe 05 Nov 2013 16:24 #2

Hi Julie1211,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and missing information to give a specific answer your question but the only way to know with any certainty is with your own personal testing or experience in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Each person's experience on a mattress will vary with their body type, sleeping positions, physiology, preferences, perceptions, health, physical condition, and circumstances. "Comfort", firmness, and softness are so subjective and relative to each person that there is really no way to predict how a mattress will feel or perform for someone else based on 'theory".

Having said that ... the Cloud Supreme has a little bit less of the 4 lb memory foam in the top layer and uses their firmer 5.3 lb memory foam in the second layer (instead of the softer 7 lb memory foam in the second layer of the Luxe) so overall it would be a little firmer but have a similar surface "feel" for those that like the feel of their 4 lb memory foam that they use in the Cloud Series. They "rate" the Supreme as extra soft and less conforming than the Cloud Luxe which they rate as ultra soft and highly conforming (and is the softest mattress they make). With a thinner layer of the 4 lb memory foam you will sink into the Supreme a little less than the Luxe.

The Allura on the other hand uses their 7 lb HD memory foam in the top layer (which is firmer but more conforming than their 4 lb memory foam) and in the soft version would also be in the soft range (but firmer than the Cloud Series for most people) and highly conforming but would have a different feel than their Cloud series mattresses because of the differences between the different types of memory foam and the layering and construction. It will respond more slowly than the 4 lb memory foam and would have a different feel.

It would also be more suitable for higher weights that tend to sink into a mattress more deeply or want more durable materials or for someone that wanted a more supportive "feel" that comes from higher density memory foam.

So the "next step up" in firmness with a similar feel would probably be the Cloud Supreme and the Allura soft would be another step up from that for most people but would have more of a different "feel". Again though ... only your own personal experience can really tell how any mattress will feel and perform for you.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Allura VS. Luxe 05 Nov 2013 19:15 #3

Thanks for your great feedback! I appreciate it!

I liked the Luxe when I very first had it delivered and then after approx 2 months I could start to feel the difference between where I slept on the bed every night and where the bed is repeatedly empty - like the very center of the bed where no one sleeps. I want that new feel- it's perfect for me!

Thanks!

Allura VS. Luxe 05 Nov 2013 21:25 #4

Hi Julie1211,

I don't know your body type (higher weights will soften foam more quickly than lower weights) but higher density memory foam is more durable and will soften more slowly than lower density memory foam as well and stay more consistent over a longer period of time.

Allura VS. Luxe 06 Nov 2013 13:03 #5

So here is what I did…

We exchanged the Luxe for a Luxe Choice. So now we can adjust the firmness on a whim! I hope and pray this is the "right" move. I wanted something that could change with my body as I get older. I'm 40 now and so I'm thinking by the time I'm 50 I'll have different complaints. I'm 5'4 and I love sleeping on my side and back. What do you think about the Choice models Mr. Pheonix? And I'm very happy that I didn't have to shell out another 664 dollars to get the Allura.

Allura VS. Luxe 06 Nov 2013 18:47 #6

Hi Julie1211,

You can read my thoughts about airbeds in general in this article .

For those that do choose to buy one then I think a firmer center zone can be a good idea.

Last edit: by Phoenix.