Denver Mattress Co 28 Dec 2013 23:31 #1

I had a Denver Mattress Co "breckenridge" mattress for a couple of years to find it sagging after experiencing increasing back pain in the AM's in the lumbar and sacral areas. It's under warranty and I am in the process of picking out a new mattress. I am middle aged, 140 lbs and a side sleeper and have never had back problems in my life until now. :(

I feel I do need both softness and support, but I am wary of choosing the wrong mattress having now experienced what a bad mattress can do to your back! My bed is a platform variety with drawers underneath. The mattresses I have laid on in the store are Richmond, Madison Plush, and Teluride. They all feel similar to me and soft/comfortable, but I don't want to make a decision based on comfort alone. Are these mattresses good options for me or would I be better off to consider others? I cannot get my money back thus am restricted to getting a mattress from DMC.

I know nothing of how good or durable these mattress models are and the salesperson does not seem very attuned to my particular circumstances so I hope this forum can offer some assistance. Thank you!

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 01:05 #2

Hi 1sweetdream,

It sounds to me like you have a defective mattress because the materials in the Breckenbridge should be more durable than your experience seems to indicate. Defects in a mattress tend to show up relatively early in the life of a mattress.

The Richmond Eurotop, the Madison Plush, and the Telluride all use good quality materials and have no obvious weak links in the mattress. The top layers in all of them are the same with 1.5" of 1.8 lb polyfoam and 1" of 1.8 lb polyfoam (the soy based bioflex) so the differences are in the way they are quilted and in the foam underneath them.

The Richmond has 2" of 5 lb memory foam and then 1 1/4" of convoluted 1.8 lb polyfoam underneath the quilting.

The Madison Plush has 2 3/8" of 1.8 lb polyfoam underneath the quliting.

The Telluride has 2" of blended Talalay latex and then 1 1/4" of convoluted polyfoam underneath the quilting.

In terms of materials ... I would give a slight edge to the Telluride followed by the Richmond Eurotop followed by the Madison Plush (latex is usually more durable than 5 lb memory foam which in turn would normally be more durable than 1.8 lb polyfoam).

Another factor would be the relative softness of each mattress because a softer mattress may have less "room" for foam softening before you are outside of the comfort and support range that is ideal for you so if all the other factors are equal and there is little difference between them that you can feel I would tend to choose a little firmer rather than a little softer because it's generally a less risky and more durable choice.

If you do choose another Telluride then hopefully it won't have the same defect but this isn't likely. It would be interesting to take the mattress apart to see which layer or component was the source of the sagging but of course it's not possible for a customer to know this.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 04:46 #3

Phoenix said:

The Richmond has 2" of 5 lb polyfoam

That would be some seriously badass polyfoam... but I'm guessing you meant to say "5 lb memory foam."

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 09:04 #4

Hi Bedimpediment,

You're right ... and thanks for catching the mistake (now corrected) :)

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 09:53 #5

Thanks Phoenix. Which one would be the least soft? I agree, too soft wouldn't be good for me. Since they all feel close in terms of softness, which one offers the most support? I am not sure what happened with the Breckenridge because I am not a large person, yet there was a 2.5 inch sag in the mattress in such a short time period. The worst is that I didn't even think about it - just felt stiff and tightness in the AM's, until one morning I could barely walk and a friend told me I should take the mattress pads off and check the mattress to see if it had gone bad. Sure enough, it had.

My fear at this point would be a mattress that would hammock me and make it difficult to turn in bed because I turn frequently and am a side sleeper. I do need softness as I am a very active person and need the comfort at bedtime so I can fully relax. I would be open to looking into other mattresses at DMC beside the ones I mentioned if there is one that would be better for my back. I very much appreciate your words of wisdom and look forward to your response. Thank you :-)

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 10:56 #6

Hi 1sweetdream,

I don't have any personal experience with any of them and even if one felt softer to me I still wouldn't know which one would feel the softest to you. There are different types of softness (see post #15 here ) and softness/firmness itself is subjective and depends on individual perceptions, body type, and sleeping positions so your own testing using the testing guidelines is the only reliable way I know to assess which one would be softer and is the best "match" in terms of PPP for you.

I would make sure that you test each of them for at least 15 minutes completely relaxed, with loose clothing, in all your normal sleeping positions, and with your favorite pillow (or a pillow that is suitable for you). With the Richmond I would spend a little longer to give the memory foam a chance to soften with your body heat. The closer you can "replicate" your sleeping habits the more effective your testing will be.

I'm happy to speak to the quality of a mattress but again your own testing or experience is the only reliable way to know if a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ).

As long as a mattress uses good quality materials so that you have some reasonable assurance that it won't soften or degrade too quickly relative to the price you paid (assuming that there are no defects) ... then your own experience (with the help of a knowledgeable and experiences salesperson) is the only reliable way to know which of their other mattresses would be suitable for you. Nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress. All of the mattresses that they make themselves use good quality materials as far as I know but if your testing indicates another candidate may be a suitable choice then if you list the layers here (or link to the specs) I'd be happy to make some comments about whether it has any obvious weak links in the specs.

It may also be worth considering their iChoice mattresses (outside of the airbeds) but these are in a significantly higher budget range and may be outside of the budget range you are comfortable with.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 14:02 #7

Phoenix, Thank you. Is latex the best option in ichoice?

This is the Ichoice Latex:

3" Talalay Latex Top
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
2" Talalay Latex
1" 1.35 Density Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Support System:
4" Talalay Latex Core
3" 1.8lb High Resilient Foam

I'm not sure it's within my budget, but curious how you feel this one stacks up against the Richmond/Telluride/Madison Plush. Thanks :-)

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 14:41 #8

Hi 1sweetdream,

Is latex the best option in ichoice?

That would depend entirely on whether you prefer memory foam or latex in your comfort layers. Post #2 here has more about the differences between them but your own personal testing is the most reliable way to know which one you prefer.

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 21:16 #9

Hi Phoenix, I read the articles and am now sure that I need latex over memory foam. Thank you so much. I am a side sleeper and change positions frequently, also would be good to have some degree of "bounce" to push back and support my lumbar while I'm turning. I do not like the feeling of being "in" a bed, but rather would prefer being "on" (providing it feels soft and comforting).

The question now is on whether the Telluride will be too soft to give the support for my spine that I need after the (defective) Breckenridge almost did me in! I know "too soft" is a relative term, but based on it's materials beneath the initial top layer of latex, do you feel it would give good spine support or am I just asking for (more) trouble? Thanks again.

Denver Mattress Co 29 Dec 2013 21:36 #10

A side note: I also read a bit about the chemicals in memory foam. The Richmond has "antibacterial" memory foam- are the chemicals in it concerning? Thank you!