Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 10:43 #1

Hi Pheonix,

after weeks of research and searching, I have narrowed down my choice between a 100% all-Dunlop mattress at Hardy's OR some combination of a Spring/Polyfoam support core with Memoryfoam or high quality polyfoam in the comfort layer over at Lapensee in Ottawa. My question to you is, after I purchase either one of them, what else do I need?

I understand that for an all Latex mattress, you recommend a slatted wood foundation (like the ones posted on the front page of the forum). Would there be anything else needed to be purchased aside from that?

If I went for a mattress at Lapensee (with innerspring or foam core), should I purchase it with their wood foundation?

Before I narrowed down my mattress search, I was just going to purchase a complete bed frame from Ikea such as this one:
www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S19849842/ and then I was just going to purchase wooden slats to place inside the frame and have either the Latex Mattress or the innerspring/foam mattress lay on top of those slats. would the ikea frame with wooden slats as seen above act as good support for either of the mattresses in my final choice?

wssviper.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 11:50 #2

Hi wssviper,

Besides the mattress ... you will need a suitable foundation or base under the mattress, a bedframe (steel or wood) to use under the foundation and keep it off the floor and at your preferred height, and a mattress protector along with your sheets and bedding.

If you were to buy a platform bed that already had suitable slats as part of its design and good center support then this could replace both the foundation and the bedframe (it would have a suitable support surface and be up off the floor high enough for your preference).

Some of the 14" wire grid options listed in the foundation thread could also replace both the foundation and bedframe.

An adjustable bed would also replace both the foundation and the bedframe.

I would generally use the foundation that comes with the mattress or that the manufacturer recommends as my first choice yes unless you have a better option available or don't need a foundation because you have a suitable platform bed or are using an adjustable bed and the manufacturer has confirmed that the base you would be using under the mattress meets their warranty criteria.

If the slats are suitable for the type of mattress you have (the manufacturer will confirm this) and the frame is strong enough for you and has good center support to the floor to prevent any sagging over time then it would be fine.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 15:46 #3

hi Phoenix,

Thanks very much. Before I make the final purchase, I will confirm what the most suitable foundation/support for the chosen mattress will be, but for now:

The Malm looks like this in terms of support: www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/malm-bed-frame-high__AA-740446-2_pub.pdf

I was thinking of purchasing that platform bed, and purchasing separate high quality wooden slats (less than 3" apart) in addition. would that be a good combination? Would that type of construction offer good center support for a full All Dunlop Latex mattress?

Thanks,

Viper

EDIT: I see in this posthttps://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses/12421-kingsdown-gabrielle-queen-on-ikea-malm-frame.html#17252 that you say the malm isn't the best quality frame, but when purchased with a high quality slats such as these www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24827/ it would provide good support. My question is, do I really care about the quality of the frame? Can I not just purchase a fairly affordable frame like the malm as long as I get good slats to go with it?

Thanks!

Last edit: by wssviper.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 17:09 #4

I think one thing that you have to keep in mind, is that although the slats will keep the mattress well supported, the structure is responsible for holding up the weight of the bed and its occupants. Without looking at it in person I cannot say if the Malm is a good candidate to handle 500 lbs of bed and humans but that is something I would be concerned with.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 19:43 #5

Hi wssviper,

EDIT: I see in this post www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...alm-frame.html#17252 that you say the malm isn't the best quality frame, but when purchased with a high quality slats such as these www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/de...ments/bedroom/24827/ it would provide good support. My question is, do I really care about the quality of the frame? Can I not just purchase a fairly affordable frame like the malm as long as I get good slats to go with it?

I would tend to agree with Pist0lpete,s comments.

While the Ikea slats that go with the bed would probably be fine ... I don't think that the Malm has any center support under the midbeam and the construction and materials of the bed itself doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it would be the strongest choice although I don't have any personal experience with it. I think it's strongest selling point would be the price but probably not its overall strength.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 20:00 #6

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I am ready to get a high quality slatted wood frame.
If I plan on going with a 8" 100% Dunlop at Hardy's. I really get a good sense of Memory Comfort in Canada and I would like to get something from a Canadian Store. en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/wood . I like these guy's business practices and they are very transparent about their mattresses. Hence, I remembered their site and found some wood frames wood bed frames there. They seem a little on the pricy side, but I was wondering if you could comment on the quality of this one which I like:

The Bali 12 INCH found here: en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/wood-bed-frames.html . it is described as having 2" gaps in the slats , comes with a headboard and is described to have centre support. Shipping is free within Canada, and all taxes are paid by mfc for a limited time.

Would this be a suitable solution for the all Latex Dunlop 8" mattress? I do plan on getting a recommendation from Tony at Hardy's on a good foundation, but thought I would see what you think of this first.

Thank you!

Viper

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 07 Jan 2014 20:11 #7

Hi wssviper,

Mario with Memory Foam Comfort (MFC) is a member of this site so I have confidence he would give you good advice about the platform beds he sells but based on what I know of the Bali it would certainly make a strong and suitable choice for a heavy latex mattress (or any foam mattress).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 08 Jan 2014 15:15 #8

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for that , that def reassures me. But just to make sure this is a high quality item, if I were to talk to mfc over the phone, would I want to make sure it is Supported in the Center and that the slats are less than 3" apart? is that sufficient to indicate this is a high quality platform bed?

Coming down to final decision - what else do I need? 08 Jan 2014 17:40 #9

Hi wssviper,

Center support, slat distance, along with good quality wood and construction are the main things that I would want to know because these will be the biggest parts of its strength and how well it supports you and the mattress. As far as I know the Bali would be a good choice for all of these criteria.