Christeli Briella Mattress 10 Feb 2014 00:15 #1

After 2-3 weeks of reading forum posts here and all of Phoenix's great advice, I finally purchased my mattress from Christeli aka Luxepedic aka Park Place. I bought the Briella model, which is supposed to approximate the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe model. Here's a rundown of the Briella:
  • 1" or so of a quilted aloe vera cover with "tufting" which is probably polyester fibers- verified by Christeli not to affect the "feel" of the memory foam at all
  • 5" of 5.3lb memory foam
Below the above comfort layer is a separate adjustable firmness "Ortho-Core" support half. It's 2lbs in density, has edge support and has an additional layer on the bottom and top, which I am assuming vary in density and can adjust the "feel" of the mattress slightly to fine tune it. I really liked that aspect of this mattress and seemed pretty genius. Granted, it probably won't be a dramatic difference, but should be enough for someone who wishes there mattress was just a *little* firmer or softer.

Based on reviews online, this forum, and my research, the composition of the mattress is actually closer to a discontinued Tempur-pedic model called "The Celebrity" (also 5" of 5.3lb) than the actual Cloud Luxe (2.75" of 5.3lb and 2" of 7lb), but I will get a feel of the mattress once I receive it this week. Not 100% sure why Tempur-pedic discontinued "The Celebrity" though, which is a little discouraging, but should overall meet my needs.

I also took your advice and bought the Sleep Suite Organic Cotton mattress protector and think its sleeping pretty cool so far on my current mattress.

Will update this with my review after I receive the mattress this week. Stay tuned!

Last edit: by eko4prez.

Christeli Briella Mattress 10 Feb 2014 11:52 #2

Hi ekoprez,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and congratulations on your new mattress :)

You certainly made a good choice in terms of quality/value and I hope you have the chance to share your thoughts and feedback when you have received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Cloud Luxe (2.75" of 5.3lb and 2" of 7lb)

Just for clarity and reference ... the Cloud Luxe actually uses 2.75" of the Tempur ES memory foam in the top layer (@ 4 lb density) over 2" of their HD 7 lb memory foam.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Christeli Briella Mattress 13 Feb 2014 23:09 #3

Thanks for the info!

I just received my mattress today and I was surprised how much heavier the box was that contained the topper. Being that it's 5" of 5.3 lb foam it makes sense.

So far, it's much more comfortable than my 14" Novaform from Costco. Not entirely sure how the flippable Ortho-Core base works, but it may be some density layering going on below? At any rate, its soft but not as soft as the Cloud Luxe, but I hope that will come in 30 days time. I'll report back in a few weeks on comfort. I may even revisit the Cloud Luxe in a store to compare again.

Only gripe from my partner is that edge support doesn't seem to work that well. Hoping this also improves as the memory foam expands.

Last edit: by eko4prez.

Christeli Briella Mattress 14 Feb 2014 01:25 #4

Hi eko4prez,

Thanks for the update and feedback ... I appreciate it :)

I'm also looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you've had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

The Ortho-Core has a different firmness level on each side (not density) so you can flip it to the softer or firmer side to change the feel and support of the mattress.

As you mentioned ... a mattress will be firmer when it is brand new and will break in and soften over the course of the first 30 - 90 days or so as the foam loses any of its initial "false firmness", the layers settle, and the cover stretches and breaks in a bit as well. Once this initial period is complete then further changes will be much more gradual over the years.

Christeli Briella Mattress 15 Feb 2014 15:09 #5

Just curious, what is going on inside the Ortho-Core that makes one side firmer and one side softer? From the cut-away here , it looks like theres a thick layer of polyfoam sandwiched between two thinner slices. I was assuming one of the slices may be higher in density to provide a more "firm" feeling, but based on your response it doesn't seem to be the case. Any guesses on what's going on under the hood?

Christeli Briella Mattress 15 Feb 2014 15:18 #6

Hi eko4prez,

Just curious, what is going on inside the Ortho-Core that makes one side firmer and one side softer? From the cut-away here, it looks like theres a thick layer of polyfoam sandwiched between two thinner slices. I was assuming one of the slices may be higher in density to provide a more "firm" feeling, but based on your response it doesn't seem to be the case. Any guesses on what's going on under the hood?

If you look at the cutaway you will see that there is a thinner layer on each side of the Ortho-Core. One of these layers is firmer and the other is softer.

Density is a "quality spec" that is the most important part of the durability of a material and not a "comfort spec" which determines the softness or the firmness of a foam. Any density of polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels. That's why you can't tell the quality/durability of a material from lying on it (lower density and less durable foams can be just as soft or firm as higher density more durable foams).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Christeli Briella Mattress 25 Feb 2014 05:52 #7

There's no delicate way to ask this, how much do you weigh? I tried the dreamfoam from amazon becasue I liked the cloude luxe, but my rear end sinks too far into the mattress getting me all out of alignment. I felt like the cloud luxe gave me the sinking into the mattress feel without sinking in too far. I am 5'7 200 lbs. Could you comment on the softness vs support of the Briella?

THANKS!!

Christeli Briella Mattress 25 Feb 2014 21:12 #8

I've been meaning to update my experience here after my first week. To answer your question Blackbird, I'm about 5'6 170 lbs and my partner is about 5'7 150 lbs.

The first week has been with the Briella great. I came from a Costco 14" Gel Memory Foam mattress which was described online as a medium feel, but was very firm for me, even after a month of 'breaking in' time. So compared to that mattress, this one is infinitely more comfortable (read: soft).

After the first week, I visited my local mattress store and laid on the Cloud Luxe again to see how well the Briella compares. What I can say is that it comes very close overall. The Cloud Luxe in-store may have had the advantage of being completely broken in, and I am also sleeping on a mattress protector which makes it a tad more firm, but despite these factors the Briella still is soft yet supportive. The Cloude Luxe is a bit softer though.

The only thing I don't like about the Briella is it's tack & quilted top. It has firmer memory foam sewed into the top and you don't really get that "hand imprint" feeling since the 5.3lb memory foam is under the quilted top. Also, it makes the bed look lumpy, so I would have preferred a flat surfaced mattress like the Luxe, but it doesn't detract from the "feel".

However, for the price and comfort, the Briella is very good. It's weird, I have woken up many mornings shocked that it's the morning. On old mattresses, I'd toss and turn and be more cognizant of how much time has passed, but with the Briella I wake up and am in disbelief, kind of like when you take a nap mid-day and wake up not sure if it's actually 7AM or 7PM. It's a good feeling.

I'd also say that this is a side sleeper/back sleeper mattress. If you are a stomach sleeper, I'd go with the more countering but firmer Danieli model.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm happy to help.

Last edit: by eko4prez.

Christeli Briella Mattress 25 Feb 2014 21:25 #9

Hi eko4prez,

Thanks for taking the time to share such a thoughtful and detailed update ... I appreciate it :)

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Christeli Briella Mattress 05 Mar 2014 20:46 #10

Mattress is great and the warranty is being updated on their website. Vinnie at Christeli cleared things up and I'm happy with my purchase and the customer service I've received.

Last edit: by eko4prez. Reason: Spoke with customer service on the issue