Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 01 Apr 2014 15:46 #1

I'm considering the BB Tri-Comfort (and comparing to the Spindle Abscond ).

I only found a couple mentions here of "tri-comfort" (with the hyphen), and searches for "tri comfort" (without the hyphen) bring up every post with the word "tried," "trial," and "comfort." (Good reason to give your product a unique name!)

Does anyone have any personal experience/feedback on the Tri-Comfort?

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 01 Apr 2014 18:59 #2

Hi sdmark,

There hasn't been a lot of feedback about the Brooklyn Bedding Tri-Comfort because it's relatively new but it's certainly an interesting design. Their comments about it are here and there are a couple of other mentions of it on the forum ( here and here ) as far as I know.

Hopefully any of the members here that have purchased it will see your post and share their feedback about it.

The materials are the same as the "mostly synthetic" version of the Spindle Abscond (continuous pour Dunlop with a mostly synthetic blend) but the design is different. (Note: Spindle now only uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop in their mattresses). They use two 4" layers and they also custom fabricated their own 3 zone convoluted design that is unique to them with a firmer section under the pelvis/lower back where support generally needs to be greater and a softer section in the head and foot area of the mattress to "allow" the shoulders to sink in more easily. This is a little different from the 7 zone design and three inch layers that Spindle uses.

Both of them are great quality/value options for those that are looking for a lower budget alternative to Dunlop with a higher natural rubber content and I think that both of them would make a great final choice .

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 01 Apr 2014 22:26 #3

Thanks for the links, Phoenix; I had missed part of one of those. I'd also not paid attention to the "convoluted" part of the BB description.

I was already confused about both the BB and Spindle products since Mountain Top apparently only makes 5.5", 6", and 7" cores:

www.mountaintopfoam.com/our-products/

I figured Spindle might be splitting a 6" core for their layers. I wonder what the BB model starts off as before being split.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 01 Apr 2014 23:03 #4

Hi sdmark,

www.mountaintopfoam.com/our-products/

If you use a convoluter to split a 7" core with 1" convolutions from peak to valley you would end up with two 4" convoluted layers.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 02 Apr 2014 07:20 #5

Phoenix wrote: On the same page they also say they make make toppers from .5" to 3" in the same firmness range and formulations as their cores.

I saw that but the topper did not mention 7-zone design which is what it sounds like Spindle uses. Of course, Mountain Top or their distributors may offer other variations than what is listed on this consumer-facing page.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 02 Apr 2014 21:53 #6

I got some more information on the Tri-Comfort from Brooklyn Bedding. I had the impression that some of the specs may still be in flux, as it was uncertain at first whether it had a zipper. As of this morning:

- It is Mountain Top continuous-pour blended Dunlop latex. One rep thought it was 40% natural blend, but the Moutain Top site only lists 20% and 85% natural as a blend options, so maybe it's the 20%.

- The Medium is ILD 34 bottom and 28 top. The Soft is 28 bottom and 24 top.

- It is a split 7" block. Each layer has 1" convolutions over 3" solid. They bought their own machine from Germany to do the cuts.

- It does have a zipper cover, and comfort layer exchange is possible. You could also flip layers inside the bed.

- It has a 120-day return policy. It comes compressed and rolled, but due to its construction, it could be dismantled and returned in 2 or 3 boxes via FedEx Ground, which would be much less expensive than having to use freight for a one-piece mattress.

Re. the Spindle Abscond, as mentioned elsewhere, it's three 3-inch solid layers of Mountain Top Dunlop for a total of 9 inches. I learned from Neal that the synthetic soft is actually 10% natural, whereas the synthetic medium and firm are 100% synthetic. Due to my background of having had mattresses soften and sag, he recommended the 100% natural version.

Last edit: by sdmark.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 03 Apr 2014 00:21 #7

Hi sdmark,

Thanks for the additional information about the Tri-Comfort ... I appreciate it :)

I believe the latex is the synthetic (or mostly synthetic) continuous pour based on a conversation I had with them.

Mountaintop also confirmed this with me when I talked with them because in the lowest ILD they needed to add some natural rubber to the formula to create the feel and performance that they wanted.

I would also be a little cautious about comparing their specific ILD's with other types of latex because Mountaintop doesn't test for ILD in exactly the same way as other latex manufacturers.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 09 Apr 2014 10:52 #8

Based on the information provided by Brooklyn Bedding, I ordered this mattress on April 2. I went with their recommendation of a medium.

In the meantime, after seeing Phoenix's comment about the latex composition, I asked the sales manager about the exact percentage of natural vs. synthetic. He now says it is "mostly synthetic."

The mattress arrived yesterday. I discovered another inaccuracy re. the depth of the convolutions. I measure 1.5" at the center of the mattress and 1.75" at the head.

More importantly, the mattress feels too soft. I can't detect much difference from the Sealy pillowtop that became too soft after 17 months.

I was interested in the latex composition and the depth of convolutions to gauge the quality and quantity of the latex, but also because I am looking for a "soft over firm" feel. I hoped that a higher natural content and relatively shallow 1" convolutions would provide that. Unfortunately, that's not what I received. I've emailed BB asking for suggestions.

Mark
Attachments:

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 09 Apr 2014 11:11 #9

Hi sdmark,

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures ... I appreciate it.

Synthetic latex is a higher quality and more durable material than the polyfoam used in your Sealy mattress so it won't soften as quickly as polyfoam although both polyfoam and latex come in a wide range of firmness levels. As you probably know from your reading here it's not really possible to predict how a mattress will "feel" based on specifications or the depth of the convoluting because there are so many variables and because there are so many subjective elements involved that can vary between different people.

I will be interested in hearing what they suggest. Your comfort layer is probably soft enough for the "feel" you were looking for but I would suspect that you may need a firmer base layer.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it? 09 Apr 2014 11:30 #10

What I meant was that this mattress feels as soft on day 1 as the Sealy did after 17 months, at which point I had to abandon it because it was contributing to back pain.

Interesting that you think of the base layer. Maybe I do need a firmer base, but my sense is that I sink too far into the top layer, just like I sink too far into the Sealy's pillowtop. Medium over firm might be the right combination in solid latex, but the deep convolutions make it softer.

Mark