Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 22 Aug 2014 12:49 #1

*** MODERATOR NOTE: This is a new topic that was "split" from this topic ***

We went and tried out the Tempurpedics and Natura latex beds last night. I was really comfortable on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, but for some reason- not as much so, on the Cloud Luxe Breeze. I sleep really hot and was trying to like the breeze better- lol.
At another store my husband fell for the Natura Latex. He likes a firmer bed than I do and I think he appreciated the wool and the fact it had a long warranty. Of course he liked the most expensive one they had.
So I was ready to just make a decision today, one way or another because as everyone knows - buying a mattress is the hardest thing to do. I would rather shop for a used car, or start over building my house, than shop for another mattress, so hopefully I made the right decision today. Before I finally did decide, I came across a couple I had not heard of before today - the Casper and Tuft and Needle (I think that's what it was). At any rate they soon fell into the closed tab file, along with the 20 or so other contenders.

I searched and looked at comparable mattresses all morning and finally narrowed it down to Brooklyn Bedding and these three models.

1) PureCool Luxe (still trying to like the Tempurcloud luxe breeze better than the tempurcloud luxe)
2) Cool Luxe
3) Aloe Alexis

After a long online chat with Mario and dozens of questions later I talked to my husband and narrowed it down to Cool Luxe and Alexis. Still more questions later, Mario helped me see why it made sense to go with the latex choice. (I pray I'm not one of those people who gets hot on latex.)

So in 7-10 business days we will be the proud owners of a King Size Aloe Alexis. I opted for the mattress protector and also received a nice Mario Special discount ;) along with two free shredded latex pillows. All out the door (with Back to school special) for $1545.

So I will be back after I get a chance to try it out to give an honest opinion, to maybe help out the poor souls who are still where I was yesterday.
Hopefully I won't regret giving in and agreeing with my husband :lol:

And thank for all your work here, Phoenix. Have a great weekend!

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 22 Aug 2014 16:22 #2

Hi Centaurita,

2) Cool Luxe
3) Aloe Alexis

I can see that your "finalists" reflected the "battle of preferences" between you and memory foam and your husband and latex :). Just to ease your mind about sleeping temperature though ... latex tends to sleep cooler than any type of memory foam (including gel memory foams) so from that perspective you are making a good choice although some people will sleep warmer on any mattress because of some of the other variables involved in sleeping temperature. There is more about all the variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

I think you did some good research and asked some good questions and most importantly of all ended up making a great choice. Congratulations on your new mattress :)

I'm looking forward to your feedback once you receive it.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 20 Sep 2014 21:02 #3

I'm back to give a quick update on our new Aloe Alexis mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. It arrived as expected. We got a King size and put it directly on the slats of our new bed. The slats are spaced about 3 - 3.5" apart.
I unpacked and assembled the bed by myself. It came with 5 pieces packed in 2 boxes. Box 1 was the base foam layer inside the cover. Box 2 had the two bottom layers of latex + the two top layers of latex. It was more difficult than I anticipated and I would not recommend doing it by yourself if you are not used to physical labor.
I noticed as I was assembling it that one of the bottom layers of latex seemed thicker than the other, but assumed it was due to packing and shipping. When it was complete it definitely had one side thicker than the other.I assumed it would all work out and that first night I slept better than I had in a very long time. It has been about 2 weeks I think and I haven't slept that good again, but my husband seems to be doing very well. I have sleep issues, so I did not expect any miracles. I can say without a doubt that it is cooler than my old memory foam which is a giant plus.
The bed still was lopsided after 10 days so I took it apart and swapped the top layers around. Both tops are the same number as well as the bottoms so this was not a huge deal. It is actually much better, and I can't really tell from across the room any more if it is still lower on one side.
All in all I'm happy I chose this bed. My husband is completely satisfied and he tells everyone it is the best bed he's ever slept on. He also adores the shredded latex pillow. I'm still debating whether to exchange the layers on my side for more softness and I'm really concerned if I do, that I will have that awful lopsided look again when the bed is made.
The only other negative I have is that I sent an email to BB about the thickness differences 4 days ago and have not received a response. ( I measured them and they are indeed different by 1/4" top layers and 1/8" bottom layers).
I do feel like there are more positives. First, I don't wake with numbness in my hands as often. Second, the movement from the other person is felt even less than on the memory foam. Third, I think my tossing and turning to get comfortable has dramatically decreased.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 20 Sep 2014 21:31 #4

Hi Centaurita,

Thanks for the update ... I appreciate it :)

The layers are cut to standard thicknesses so it's unlikely that there would be enough of an actual difference between them to notice (although I suppose anything is possible) but latex is also very "jello like" and can be easily stretched or bunched when you put it inside the cover which can cause one side to look thicker than another which may be what you were noticing. This isn't unusual with latex but if you lift up one end and "wave" it into position while carefully either "pushing" or "pulling" you can even out any parts that are stretched or bunched and how evenly it lies in the mattress so there are no uneven parts of the layer. It's certainly not something I would be concerned with if you need a layer exchange.

They normally reply much more quickly than this so if you haven't received a reply after 4 days then the email has probably gone astray somehow (either yours or their reply may have gone to a junk folder) and I would either call them or use the chat on their website.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 21 Sep 2014 12:24 #5

Thanks Phoenix! I will take your advice.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 23 Sep 2014 16:34 #6

I've spent days poring over your site. Ordering an Aloe Alexis King right now. Thanks for all your great ideas.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 23 Sep 2014 18:21 #7

Hi K-Lo,

Welcome ... and I'm glad the site could help you.

As you know ... I think highly of Brooklyn Bedding and you've certainly made a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :)

I'm looking forward to your feedback once you've received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 07 Oct 2014 08:30 #8

I just purchased the Aloe Alexis yesterday, based on the reviews on the forum, and couldn't be more excited to get it!

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 07 Oct 2014 11:49 #9

Hi brianscotty,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well ... and I think that you also made a great quality/value choice :)

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you've received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Pure Cool Luxe or Cool Luxe or Aloe Alexis 17 Oct 2014 06:27 #10

Finally got the bed put together last night (intervening vacation). Some glitches -- one of the mattresses was the wrong density. Mario who responded very quickly said he'd get the right one to us right away, along with the missing latex pillows. First impressions -- and I know one night is too early to have anything important to say -- I love the Aloe cover. Very cool and plush. I'm getting used to the lack of firm edges -- also moving from queen to king, so that's an adjustment too. We realized that we set up the layers in the wrong order - putting the firmer on top of the less firm. Will fix. All that being said, I was very comfortable last night. Things will shake out/settle and we'll determine if we need to change up layer firmness. I am conscious of some lower back discomfort this morning but....my upper back was bothering me yesterday so it may have just moved down my back AND I was lifting and moving bed parts.

Giving it some time and I am very optimistic. My husband who was the impetus for a new bed in the first place woke up happy. (By the way, we mentioned Mattress Underground for our 5% discount.) And there was no smell whatsoever.

Last edit: by K-Lo.