Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 23 Sep 2014 21:14 #1

Hi,
I'm new here, just before I make the plunge and buy a new mattress from Dreamfoam Bedding. My son is 6' 4" and 230 lbs. It's either going to be the Aria or the 12" supreme but I'm hoping the 12" supreme will be soft enough, for someone so big, but not sticky hot. Any experience with these models? Also, I'm going to purchase an Ikea slat bed frame. I have written to Chuck but would love to hear other people's experiences.
Thanks!
Great site, I really appreciate this!!!

Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 23 Sep 2014 21:57 #2

Hi Headlightslui,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own.

The first suggestion I would make would be to talk with Dreamfoam on the phone about which of these would likely be the best choice for your son (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ). IMO ... there are too many unknowns and variables involved to use email as a way to choose a mattress (see post #2 here from earlier today). They will know more than anyone about which of their options will most likely be the best "match" for different body types and sleeping styles based on "averages" and the more information you can provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choice.

Dreamfoam makes mattresses that use high quality materials for their budget range and have great value but I would also be aware that with your son's higher weight that it may also be worth considering higher density materials unless budget is the most important criteria because this would also increase the cost of a mattress. There are some foam density guidelines in post #4 here that may be helpful.

Post #13 here also has more information about the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase that may be helpful as well.

Finally ... I don't know if you are looking at their Amazon listings or their Dreamfoam site but if you order from Dreamfoam then you have the benefit of having a 45 day comfort guarantee and they also currently have a 10% discount on their mattresses (see their facebook page here ).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 25 Sep 2014 13:44 #3

Thanks so much, Phoenix! I have spoken with Mario, today, at DF, and yes, I am ordering directly from them. $600 is my budget for a queen size bed for my son, and from reading reviews, and with Mario's suggestion, I'm going with the Aria. I really can't spend more money, and there are so many things I like about this company that I'm willing to go with it. If it really doesn't work, we will send it back for the $100. That said, I totally appreciate your thorough response. I am about to read through your links before I press the "order" button, and I have read your wonderful instructive posts, some of which you have linked to in your response. I will go over to donations for your site, after I order the mattress. Many thanks!!! Carol

Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 25 Sep 2014 15:08 #4

Hi Headlightslui,

You are certainly making a high quality/value choice in your budget range and with your son's higher weight it would make sense that they would suggest the Aria which is a little firmer.

Congratulations on your new mattress :)

I'm glad that the site could help you and I'm looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 25 Sep 2014 15:27 #5

Thank you again! Next question, lol!
I am probably buying the Hemnes frame for the Aria mattress. I've read some of the entries on the site about the best slatted base, but I'm a little confused: to folks recommend the Laxeby or the Luroy, for a 200 lb plus person? Thank you again, this has been pretty amazing, actually.

Choosing between the Dreamfoam Aria or 12" Supreme 25 Sep 2014 17:18 #6

Hi Headlightslui,

It's not really possible to recommend one over the other because they are different and each one would have a different effect on the mattress that was on top of it in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). In most cases ... a memory foam mattress is designed for and will do best with a solid non flexing support system with good center support to the floor (in a queen size or larger) so from this perspective the Sultan Lade would be the best choice. A flexible support system under a mattress will be a more "active" component of the sleeping system and can have an effect on how the mattress feels and performs compared to a solid non flexing support system. For some people this may be better if some additional give under a mattress would help with pressure points or alignment while for others this may be more risky in terms of alignment because the heavier parts of the body may sink down too deeply which can lead to alignment issues. The only way to know which one would apply to you would be based on your own sleeping experience. If you were to put the mattress on the floor and it worked well for you with a non flexing support surface then I would be cautious about adding a support system that had flex while if your "floor" experience indicated that you may do better with some additional "give" under the mattress then a flexing support system could be a good choice.

A flexible slat support system that doesn't have any flex in the center where the flexible slats come together can also change the feel of the mattress in the middle for some people compared to the parts of the sleeping surface that are over the flexible slats which may be an issue for some people that tend to sleep more in the middle of their mattress. The effect of flexible slats will be more noticeable with thinner mattresses than with thicker mattresses or for heavier people than for lighter people.

The advantage of the Laxeby over the Luroy is that the tension of the slats in the Laxeby can be made firmer so that the firmness of the slats can be customized under the heavier parts of the body which would lower the risk of any alignment issues that may come from using flexible slats under your mattress.

I'm also not sure that they are still selling the Luroy since it is no longer listed on their page for slatted bed bases here although it is still on their site if you search for Luroy.

Last edit: by Phoenix.