Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 06 Oct 2014 20:07 #1

Hi everyone:)

Thanks for this great resource. I have a few questions. Before I start I want to mention a few things.

1. I am budget minded but I try to pay for quality - preferably inside $1000 but that may not be feasable? It's for a queen bed.
2. I will most likely not be able to try out mattress before hand.

After reading this site on and off for a few weeks I decided to make an account to ask specific questions.

One of the things that made me look at their aloe alexis line is 7" 2.17lbs base - which makes me think that it would last longer. I wonder though if their 8" 2.17lbs base for the bamboo bliss line would be better? (from what I can tell main difference is alexis has 2 layers of latex but bamboo only one 3" layer). Being 1" thicker, would make it than more durable?

Other concern is the price since I would need to pay $1499 for alex + $200+ for bed/foundation. Is there anything else that's similar quality/durability but within my budget? I am looking at this platform bed - is this a good choice? www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Scandinavia-Queen-size-Solid-Wood-Tapered-Leg-Platform-Bed/5048116/product.html ? if not, does anyone have any ideas?> I would love to stay below $250 shipped for platform bed - durability is my main concern.

I am not too picky re latex or memory foam or springs - I have only slept on springs before and while I do own memory foam pillows, I would likely not want only memory foam. I figured I may like coil system but only if coils are 13gauge and lower?

I also prefer as cool as possible... I summer even with a/c running, I rarely use any planket and even when it's 30f outside at night, not only I have windows open but I barely use any cover...

Thanks in advance :)

Last edit: by ceasar2k6.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 06 Oct 2014 21:51 #2

Hi ceasar2k6,

I'm glad you did and I'm certainly happy to answer your questions ... not to mention that your mattress forum membership here also entitles you to the bonus/discount that is offered to the members here by the manufacturer and retail members of the site.

The difference in the thickness of the base layer would be insignificant but the extra 3" latex layer in the Alexis would certainly make a difference in durability in your weight range. The upper layers are the weakest link in a mattress and with your weight you would compress the deeper layers of the mattress (underneath the top 3" latex layer) more than someone that was lighter and latex is a more durable material than even high quality 2.17 lb polyfoam. There is also more about the benefits of having more latex in a mattress in post #2 here that compares a latex/polyfoam hybrid to an all latex mattress and in post #2 here which talks more about the Alexis which would be more "in between" a hybrid with 3" of latex and an all latex mattress.

If you are looking at online options then post #21 here includes a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex and have a range of different features, options, designs, and budget ranges. I don't know all the prices off the top of my head so you would need to check the individual websites. Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons. While I don't know which mattress would be the "best" value for someone else because each person has their own criteria that are important to them ... I do think very highly of Brooklyn Bedding and like the other members here I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality,value, service, and transparency.

I am looking at this platform bed - is this a good choice? www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Scandinavi...5048116/product.html ? if not, does anyone have any ideas?> I would love to stay below $250 shipped for platform bed - durability is my main concern.

I don't know the spacing between the slats (closer together would be better but I would look for about 4" or less) but other than that it looks like it has good center support to the floor and would likely make a suitable choice. There is more about different types of support systems (foundations, platform beds etc.) that are suitable for different types of mattresses and links to some good options in the foundation post here . It also links to instructions for several DIY foundations and platform beds that may also be worth considering if you are comfortable with making one yourself for the sake of additional strength and lower costs.

Coil gauge is only one of the factors in the suitability and durability of an innerspring (see post #10 here ) but at your weight I agree that a lower gauge and firmer innerspring would likely make a stronger and more suitable choice if you did decide to consider an innerspring mattress (although it's usually the upper layers of a mattress that are the weakest link in terms of durability).

Post #2 here has more information about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature (including the mattress protector and the sheets and bedding you use) but latex is the most breathable of all the foam materials and will generally sleep cooler than other types of foam materials (including memory foam).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 07 Oct 2014 02:41 #3

if I understood you correctly - alexis is better suited due to 2x3" layers of latex, which is very durable. If that's the case, what else is as durable as latex - perhaps cover that's woven from special material? or maybe it's worth having 2" 4-5lbs memory foam to to provide extra support?

I don't know the spacing between the slats (closer together would be better but I would look for about 4" or less) but other than that it looks like it has good center support to the floor and would likely make a suitable choice. There is more about different types of support systems (foundations, platform beds etc.) that are suitable for different types of mattresses and links to some good options in the foundation post here. It also links to instructions for several DIY foundations and platform beds that may also be worth considering if you are comfortable with making one yourself for the sake of additional strength and lower costs.

I believe the website says that slats are 3" apart, which should be fine. I wanted a platform bed, so hopefully that one works well. I been using frame + foundation for a long time and my hope is that platform bed is as good

I am not really into DYI, so that's out of my league.

Coil gauge is only one of the factors in the suitability and durability of an innerspring (see post #10 here) but at your weight I agree that a lower gauge and firmer innerspring would likely make a stronger and more suitable choice if you did decide to consider an innerspring mattress (although it's usually the upper layers of a mattress that are the weakest link in terms of durability).

I agree and I watched some videos about different coil system and I think the end point is implementation is key, where is the best system implemented poorly, nothing is going to save it.

I guess, I wanted to ask if you have any models of top of your head that are suitable for my weight. If you happen to know 2--3 of them, it would be so helpful since not only I can then pick one I like (if i got coil way) but also call the store and be able to use my discount.

Ideally, I would like to have a cheaper alternative to the alexis, but I suspect there may not be able with 2x3" latex later but if you or anyone else know some, I'd love to hear more

I also read the coolness reply and I found it very helpful since I have not bought any sheets yet.

thanks in advance:)

Last edit: by ceasar2k6.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 07 Oct 2014 04:49 #4

As an Aloe Alexis owner, I can say that it was money well spent -- I even bought a second one. I cannot guarantee you will like it (Nor can anyone) but after a few weeks of adjusting to the feel of Latex I learned to love it. I bought the metal foundation they sale also...I like it too and I assure you it is sturdy.
Good luck and pleasant dreams on whatever you choose,
Jeff

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 07 Oct 2014 11:32 #5

Hi ceasar2k6,

In general ... latex is the gold standard for durability and is the most durable of all the foam materials (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam). There is more about the many variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to. A cover can have a significant effect on the feel and performance of a mattress but in most cases it will have little effect on its durability (unless it includes layers of low quality quilting foam or fibers that are too thick in which case durability would be reduced).

Memory foam is too soft to be very supportive and is only used in comfort or transition layers where it can help with contouring ... not in support layers. There is more about primary support, secondary support, and their relationship to pressure relief in post #4 here .

Unfortunately ... there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific suggestions for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ).

The list I linked earlier includes the members here that sell latex mattresses online but you would need to decide on the "value" of each of them based on the guidelines in post #13 here and the parts of your personal value equation (including price) that are most important to you. Lower cost can sometimes mean a mattress that is either less suitable or less durable (depending on the design or the type and quality of the materials in the mattress).

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 09 Oct 2014 10:23 #6

Hi

thanks for the detailed replies. I did some research/reading on my own and I think I found something that confused me. I am hoping you guys can help me clear this up.

let me give you an example:

14' aloe alexis has a 7" base + 2 x 3" latex + 1" cover = 14" - the 7" base is the sturdiest part and designed to last a long time
10" abscond by spine is 3 x 3" latex + 1" cover. Where is the 7" base which would provide the support or is that handled entierly by foundation, which they sell separately. If that's the case, then that or some other foundation is required and it will not work well in just a platform bed?

Is it safe to assume that same would apply to other mattresses that do not have high quality core (7" of density)?

lastly: assuming the cost of aloe alexis and ascond + their base is same, wouldn't ascond then provide better support for me since it has 3 layers (9" total) of latex versus 2 (6" total) in aloe? I am assuming the quality of each is comparable?

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 09 Oct 2014 11:40 #7

Hi ceasar2k6,

You may be confusing the design of a mattress itself with the foundation or platform bed that it needs to support it. The mattress and the the foundation/platform bed that is used underneath it are separate parts of a sleeping system. The 7" base in the Aloe Alexis is the firmest part ... not the "sturdiest" part (latex is more durable than polyfoam). The 10" abscond is latex from top to bottom and isn't a polyfoam/latex hybrid so it doesn't need a polyfoam support core. They are completely different mattresses with different designs and components that interact together differently. The Abscond doesn't need a polyfoam support core underneath it since it is all latex.

Both of them would need to be placed on a foundation or a platform bed that will provide even and non flexing support under the mattress.

PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is a function of the complete design of the mattress, the firmness of each layer, and how all the layers and components interact together ... not just on how much of one material or another is in the mattress. Any material can come in a range of firmness levels and can be either "supportive" or "pressure relieving". There is more about primary support, secondary support, and pressure relief in post #4 here and more about some of the specs that are part of the feel and performance of a mattress in post #2 here but you may be getting overinvolved in "mattress design theory" which is a very long learning curve that can take years ... although it's a very interesting study (at least for me) :)

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 09 Oct 2014 12:54 #8

Ok that's what i meant. I was reading last night and it struck me that maybe I was missing something crucial. I guess what i am asking is... based on those 2 mattresses, which one would be longer lasting for me (for my size/weight). For some reason I think it's alexia due to 7" core and being able to replace latex layers down the line>? Obviously my thinking could be flawed?

I read the post 2 linked earlier and had to re-read it a few times. Still, it seems overly complex to me, so i may have to re-read it again.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 09 Oct 2014 13:48 #9

Hi ceasar2k6,

It would depend to some degree on the firmness choices you made (firmness is a factor in durability) but both of them use latex in the top 6". The Brooklyn Bedding Alexis is blended Talalay and the Spindle Abscond is 100% natural Dunlop and both of these are high quality materials and neither one has any weak links in the design so they would be very similar in terms of durability since the upper layers are the single biggest factor in the durability and useful life of a mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here .

Both of them also have replaceable layers.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Q's 09 Oct 2014 14:04 #10

Hi
that's a very good point. i generally prefer firmed mattresses, such as i like them not to be as hard as a board but i also don't like to sink is, so I guess level 5 for alexis?