mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Sheraton Sweet Sleeper

10 Oct 2014 11:47 #1 by cassy13
Okay, so let me just say that this information is very overwhelming and my head is spinning. :unsure: While I am super grateful just to have the knowledge that the basic run-off- mill mattress stores are rip-offs, I just don't want to have to work so hard to purchase a good mattress...and who has the time!!! I am hoping to take the easy way out with a little help from Mr. Phoenix and/or someone else viewing this forum.

Here is my story:

I wake up every morning feeling like I've been run over by a truck. I start out on my side but always end up waking up on my back, which leads to snoring and I also wake up with a sore throat (due to the aforementioned snoring). I recently went out of town and stayed at a Sheraton Hotel where I slept on a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. I felt great after waking up both nights, but did not realize it until I got home and slept on my mattress, which apparently is a piece of crap, because I woke up again feeling like I’d been run over by a truck! Anyway, I did some research and discovered that the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper is actually a Sealy Sweet Sleeper. I called Sealy and of course they refused to tell me where I could buy it other than directly from Sheraton. Even a mattress novice like me knows that the price probably has a 200% markup on it! With further research, I was able to determine that it is a Level E Posturepedic in Plush, and that is what I should ask for when I go to a store. So, more research landed me on this site, which has lead me to feel so overwhelmed and lost. I just want to wake up with the feeling I had from sleeping on that mattress. One more thing – I also found out that while this bed starts out feeling great, it wears within a few years.

My questions:

1) Does anyone know of a quality mattress comparable to or better than Sealy's Sweet Sleeper that will last for 10 years?

2) If so, where can I find it?

I am greatful for whatever anyone can offer!! :)

10 Oct 2014 13:48 - 10 Oct 2014 13:49 #2 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Hi cassy13,

Unfortunately there is no way to know which mattress would "feel" comparable to you or would be comparable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) outside of your own personal testing and experience. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict how any mattress will "feel" for you or how it will compare to another mattress based on "specs" or "theory at a distance" (see post #2 here ).

There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase that you can use to compare different mattresses in terms of suitability (PPP), durability, and value based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you but since Sealy isn't transparent about the type or quality of the materials they use there really isn't any way to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. In most cases ... I would tend to avoid the major manufacturers or any mattress that uses too much lower quality or unknown materials relative to their price range (see the guidelines here ) and this isn't a mattress that I would use as a "target" to find something comparable because the bar you are setting is much too low.

The best way to find a mattress that is the best "match" for you in terms or suitability, quality/durability, and value is to follow the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice ... and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you are at step 3 ... if you let me know your city or zip code I'd be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I'm aware of in your area.

In most cases ... the knowledge, experience, and transparency of the retailer or manufacturer that you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Last edit: 10 Oct 2014 13:49 by Phoenix.

10 Oct 2014 14:20 #3 by cassy13
Replied by cassy13 on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Okay Phoenix - no easy way to do this! Thank you so much for your response. I will do my reading and research (UGH)!!) and report back with several options. At least I was able to find a list of places in my area (Washington, D.C.) to start. If anyone out there has been to a great place where the staff is knowledgeable, please let me know!

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

11 Oct 2014 21:20 #4 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Hi cassy13,

Hopefully the post you found was post #2 here . I included some comments about many of the options on the list.

13 Oct 2014 08:53 #5 by cassy13
Replied by cassy13 on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Okay so I did my reading. I visited the Healthy Back store to try out mattress and fell in love with the Embrace Comfort mattress. I was surprised because I thought after all of the reading I'd done and how much you talk about the quality of the latex matress that that is what I would go with. However, I did not care for the latex mattress at all. Anyway, I won't give you the stats, return policy and warranty on the embrace Comfort becaue it appears that you already have them.

Questions:

1) Is there a comparable bed that would be lower in price.- I would be paying $2100 for the mattress and base

2) I was told that if I got the mattress only that is would compromise the feel of the mattress - is this true?

Also, this mattress is about $300 cheaper online so I will be speaking to the store about matching the price.Though I suspect that the online order does not come with free setup, but if I purchase it the store the setup will be free..

13 Oct 2014 13:03 #6 by cassy13
Replied by cassy13 on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
PS
I am in the Washington, DC area in Northern Virginia - 22206.

13 Oct 2014 16:39 - 14 Oct 2014 15:23 #7 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Hi cassy13,

This would depend on what you mean by "comparable" but there is more about the different ways that one mattress can "match" another one in post #9 here .

There is also more about the most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that help you to make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

In terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is the most important part of the "value" of a mattress purchase ... the Embrace Comfort wouldn't be a mattress that other manufacturers would try to "match" because it isn't widely available and isn't popular enough so you would usually see more specific comparisons between smaller memory foam manufacturers and larger more well known brands that are more widely available. Other than this ... the only way to know whether a mattress would be similar to you in terms of PPP, firmness, or "feel" would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

In terms of the quality of the materials ... you can see the specs of the Embrace line and my comments about them in posts #9 and #10 here . There are certainly many other mattresses that use the same or higher density and more durable materials in their mattresses that are in lower budget ranges.

In terms of the the other parts of your personal value equation that may be important parts of "value" to you ... that would depend on which mattress and which manufacturer or retailer you were considering because these will all vary widely from store to store and manufacturer to manufacturer.

If you are open to considering an online memory foam purchase then some of the better online memory foam options I'm aware of are included in post #12 here . You can also use these as a reference for making value comparisons.

Other than these ... the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia list I linked includes the better options I'm aware of in your area but I would need to know the specifics of any other mattresses you are considering at any of these to make any meaningful comments about them (see this article ).

No this isn't correct. Most memory foam mattresses do best with a rigid, non flexing, support system that is evenly supportive under the mattress and if another foundation, platform bed, or adustable bed you are considering also has a rigid, non flexing, and evenly supportive surface then it would be just as suitable and wouldn't chance the feel of the mattress. The only type of support surface that will change how a mattress feels compared to a solid non flexing foundation is something like a box spring or a foundation that has flexible slats which provide some "give" under the mattress.

Having said that ... there are some manufacturers that do require that you purchase one of their foundations as part of their warranty criteria but most warranties are valid with just a "suitable" foundation.

Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 15:23 by Phoenix.

14 Oct 2014 14:52 #8 by cassy13
Replied by cassy13 on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your previous response. I now see what you mean when you say that I might find a better quality mattress for less or equal to the healthy Back Embrace Comfort Bed.

I have narrowed my choice to the following. Would you steer me either way?

Brooklyn Bedding
11 inches
The Cool Supreme™ memory foam mattress consists of multiple layers (top->bottom): 4-way Stretch Cotton Mattress Cover, 1.5" 4lb Gel Memory Foam, 3" 5lb Memory Foam, 6.5" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core.

Rocky Mountain
Sundance 10 in.
• 3" of four pound Softcel Memory Foam
• 1.25" of Ultracel Convoluted Foam
• 5.75" of Ultracel Support Foam
• Ultracel mid-body Lumbar Support
• CoolMax by DuPont Smooth Cover
• Optional wood (southern yellow pine) foundation
• 10" mattress profile

14 Oct 2014 17:32 - 14 Oct 2014 17:33 #9 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Hi cassy13,

I have narrowed my choice to the following. Would you steer me either way?

Both of these manufacturers are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and both use high quality materials so there would be no "weak links" in either of them in terms of durability. Once you are down to finalists that are choices between "good and good" that fit all your criteria and you are confident that both would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you are happy with the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress if you aren't) and there are no clear winners between them, then your final choice will be a matter of "best judgement" based on your conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (see post #2 here ). In terms of their quality/value I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from either of them.

Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 17:33 by Phoenix.

05 Oct 2019 11:05 #10 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
Hi TC1.

Welcome to our mattress forum!

I have deleted your post because promotional posts or advertising aren't allowed on the forum (see the mattress forum rules here ). Please make sure you follow our rules if you wish to keep your posting privileges.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website