Casper vs T&N 02 Mar 2015 07:39 #1

I'm considering both the Casper and Tuft & Needle mattresses. I've read through a lot of the Tuft & Needle 10 thread here and am not worried about the quality of their mattress. I haven't been able to find much here about the Casper though. How do they compare as far as the quality of the materials go?

Here is what Casper has to say about their materials: (I found this in their FAQ)

We tested hundreds of materials and thousands of combinations before we decided on our proprietary, patent-pending construction. The Casper hybridizes three layers of foam. The bottom: 6.5 inches of 1.8 pcf poly foam, 1.5 inches of 4.0 pcf memory foam, and 1.5 inches of 3.3 pcf synthetic dunlop latex foam. While foam density and thickness give you a picture of what's below the cover, they are not really indicators of comfort. Beyond the density and ratios, each foam's responsiveness - its give and flex - is proprietary to Casper.

All of the foams used in the Casper have environmental certifications that ensure they are healthy to be around. Our polyurethane foams (memory foam and poly support foam) are Certi-Pur certified, meaning they are: Made without ozone depleters Made without PBDE flame retardants Made without mercury, lead and other heavy metals Made without formaldehyde Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million) Our top latex layer is OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, Class 1 certified--their highest standard that guarantees the foam to be safe enough for babies and children.

I would like to know your thoughts on the two mattresses. Thanks!

Casper vs T&N 02 Mar 2015 12:42 #2

Hi shadowfox606,

I would like to know your thoughts on the two mattresses. Thanks!

You can see some of my comments about how Tuft & Needle and Casper and some of the other "one choice fits all" mattresses compare in post #3 here .

A forum search on " Casper Tuft Needle " (you can just click the link) will also bring up all the forum posts and feedback that mention both of them. Some of them also include some comments from a few forum members here that have tried both of them (see post #2 here ).

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Casper vs T&N 02 Mar 2015 17:34 #3

This is my first post on the forum.

The whole mattress shopping experience has been a bit of an ordeal. We did the local mattress store experience (which is how I've bought mattresses in the past) but were turned off by the insane prices, and for some items, questionable reliability.

That's when we started to consider online purchasing.

After a fair amount of research we decided to go with Casper, although I did look at Tuft & Needle, Leesa, AtlanticBeds.com and www.matt-to-go.com .

The Caspers (two twin XLs for a split king arrangement) arrived and I set them up on our newly purchased Leggett & Platt adjustable bed bases.
I ran my hand across the two mattresses and noticed one of them (let's call it mattress "A") had a noticeable valley running from head to toe in a very straight line in the middle of the bed.
I emailed Casper customer support, received an automated response with a case # but have not heard from them since. That was ten days ago.

Even though there was a valley in my mattress ("A"), if I wasn't right in the valley, it felt very supportive and I slept decently. This is my first foam mattress experience coming from a traditional inner spring. My wife was not as fortunate. After two days she had back and neck pain to the point that she could barely walk. I swapped her mattress ("B") for mine and found that it was very soft and unsupportive, a totally different feel than the mattress I had been sleeping on. I have not been very comfortable on the swapped mattress and wake up each morning with lower back pain. These were supposed to be identical mattresses!

After more research, yesterday I ordered a single Tuft & Needle twin XL. All the reviews said that it was a firmer mattress which is what both of us need.

I then read that they had made changes to their original product and that people that previously said it was too firm were now reporting that it was "improved". Hopefully, they did not "improve" it too much.
I hope T&N's quality control is better than Casper's.

I haven't contacted Casper again because at this point we need something to sleep on until we get everything sorted out. I don't feel like it is even worth having them send out two new mattresses. What would they send? "A" or "B"? Maybe one of each again. Ugh.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Casper vs T&N 02 Mar 2015 18:11 #4

Hi mpg61,

This is my first post on the forum.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :)

It sounds like your email and/or case number has somehow slipped through the cracks. In situations like this where you haven't received a reply to an email in about 24 hours (or a maximum of 48 which would be unusual for most companies) I would phone them to find out what is happening.

It sounds like your mattress "A" at least may be defective (which happens with any manufacturer on occasion) but I don't know if your mattress "B" is normal in terms of firmness or if was also somehow made too soft. I would probably talk to them about your experience (the valley in mattress "A" and the softer feel in mattress "B" compared to the "good" part of mattress "A") and see what they say and if you decide to replace them vs a refund then I would probably have them send two new mattresses which I would think would both be the way they were "supposed" to be (either the same as the firm part of "A" or the softer "B".

I hope T&N's quality control is better than Casper's.

I haven't seen any complaints about the quality of their mattresses but you can see the details about the changes they made in posts #2 and #6 here . They are still in a similar firmness range to their old mattress so some people wouldn't notice any difference in how they feel but the new foam will be more contouring which for some people will "translate" into a softer feel even though it may actually be more supportive.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Casper vs T&N 03 Mar 2015 10:02 #5

My brother bought his Casper a little over a month ago, and after a week or so he came to love it.

I am going to try an experiment: I have on order both a Casper and a T&N, in twin XL. I will put them side by side on my king side bed and my wife and I will spend up to 60 days trying them out, rotating them as Phoenix recommends for initial use and switching them around the 30 day mark.

I'm curious to see if we like one over the other, or both, or neither.

Thanks to this forum for turning me on to T&N.

Casper vs T&N 03 Mar 2015 11:07 #6

Hi adam1991,

Congratulations on your new mattress(es) :).

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and feedback about how they compare for both you and your wife when you receive them!

Casper vs T&N 03 Mar 2015 21:56 #7

adam1991-

What a cool experiment- and curious to what you think because I've tried both the Casper and have a Tuft and Needle.

I was an inch close of buying a Casper, and a friend of mine ended up buying one first- lucky for me, because I got to try it and discovered it wasn't for me (I had pressure point pain in my shoulders on my side after a few minutes of just testing the mattress).

I ordered a Tuft and Needle, and it has turned out to be the perfect mattress for me. No pressure point pain since day 1, although it took me a few weeks to adjust to how different an all foam mattress.

Have fun with your experiment, and please due tell us what you think about the "feel" of both- I personally found the Casper to be more "bouncy" and lively, the Tuft and Needle more "solid" and not lively. Both on the firm end of medium-firm, but in different ways and hard to describe...

And what happens if you both prefer the same mattress- who will get stuck in the less desired one until the replacement arrives :)

Last edit: by sheep123.

Casper vs T&N 07 Mar 2015 19:00 #8

shadowfox606,
I'm currently in possession of both a T&N and a Casper mattress and am glad to share my experience. I started looking at purchasing a mattress online because we hated our 10 year old inner spring mattress. After researching various mattresses on this forum I ordered the T&N first because it was about $250 cheaper than than the Casper. I was looking for a medium firm mattress made from quality materials that both my spouse and I could sleep on comfortably. We slept on the T&N for almost 2 weeks; it's a definitely a medium-firm to firm mattress. As sheep123 mentioned, the polyfoam in the - layer is "solid" feeling, but at the same time not causing pressure pain. My biggest complaint about the T&N is the "dead" feeling in the foam. Each night that I slept on it, I was always "aware" of the mattress - where I was, how I moved on it, where my spouse was, etc. I wasn't able to forget the mattress and just sleep. I found that the T&N fulfilled 2 of the three Ps for me - posture/alignment and pressure relief, but not for personal preference.

I ordered the Casper once I knew the T&N wasn't the mattress for me. In terms of firmness the Casper is very similar to the T&N. I have read many folks say that they thought the T&N was firmer than the Casper, but that is not my experience. Phoenix has writen that firmness and softness differs greatly between individuals. That really didn't make sense to me until I directly compared the T&N to the Casper. To others the T&N may be firmer that the Casper, but for me the difference in firmness was negligible. I've slept on the Casper for less than a week, but at this point, I love it. Even though the two mattresses are similar in their firmness, they sleep very differently. Where the T&N seems "dead", the Casper is "livelier" - without actually being bouncy. The top comfort layer in the Casper is latex, so this adds a more dynamic element to the mattress that the T&N doesn't have. Even though it's livelier, it is still has great motion transfer - meaning I don't feel my husband moving or turning over. Where I couldn't forget I was sleeping on the T&N, with the Casper I get in bed and sleep. I've never slept on latex before - and I know there's not a lot in the Casper comfort layer - but I definitely like the "feel" that it adds to the mattress.

So far the Casper fits all three Ps for me and I'm looking forward to sleeping on it for many nights to come. Next week I will contact T&N to return that mattress. Hope this helps!

Casper vs T&N 07 Mar 2015 19:28 #9

Hi Watson4321,

I think that one of the first things that becomes apparent for anyone that has been in or around the industry for a while is how personal and subjective firmness, softness, and "feel" can be and it's a common source of surprise for many people that are shopping for a mattress that tend to think that the same mattresses will feel similar to different people when they really don't.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback in such great detail ... I appreciate it :)

Casper vs T&N 07 Mar 2015 21:56 #10

Lol we made our own tuft and needle /Casperish. We love the tuft and needle the company and the bed concept. However too firm for me. While reading that the Casper had a low 13 ILD i did not want to give up our tuft and needle. So purchased at sleep on latex a natural latex 1inch med 30 ILD and a 1inch soft natural 20 ILD. Now it's gread the firmness and bounce we need and my back is ok and can sleep on my side. :lol: