mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Please recommend a place to buy in Toronto!

31 May 2015 08:43 #1 by Vlad353
Good morning dear members!
We are looking for a latex/mostly latex mattress, have checked some big name local stores and amazon as well. We hope we can find better prices somewhere else ;)
We are reading thru forum topics of course too.
Can anybody possibly give me some last minute updates?
Also we are looking for some condo type (but not IKEA type) leather beds, sectionals etc - any suggestions what places to check?
Thank you a million!

31 May 2015 09:03 #2 by WadeB
If you know the feel you want check out memoryfoamcomfort.ca they have the best price I can find in Canada and their wood bed frames are also nice and very well priced.

31 May 2015 09:07 #3 by Vlad353
Thank you! We prefer latex mattresses. There is a mention of a manufacturer dormio.ca on the forum, do you have any info on them or any other similar?

31 May 2015 09:24 - 23 Jan 2019 23:21 #4 by Phoenix
Hi Vlad353,

The better options or possibilities I'm aware of in and around the Toronto area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here ) are listed in post #1 here .

Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 23:21 by AdminTMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

31 May 2015 09:26 #5 by Vlad353
Thank you Phoenix!

07 Aug 2015 11:12 #6 by dzwick
Hi Phoenix and others in the Toronto market,

as a registrant I am completely new to this site but I have been reading this site for close to a year now, on and off. A colleague of mine came across mattressunderground when he was buying a new mattress and spent a lot of time here, learned a lot and ended up at Dormio. He told me to check it out and I have been here since. I studied the many discussions about Toronto because that is where I live and have been trying to find a good solution for our new mattress. Ok, so for almost a year now I have been reading this site, searching online, trying some stores, and over the last two weeks I really needed to get this process finished, revisited those links Phoenix had posted about various Toronto options. Toronto (Canada) is funny in a way. The middle market seems to be missing in many categories. At least that is how we felt when my wife and I moved up from the US a decade ago. And with the mattress market that again seemed to be the case. You can go to places like Dormio and get great products but you pay a very high premium. Or you can get a lot of sketchy cheap options. I am not talking about the chain store options because we all know (well I know now) that this stuff is overpriced for the quality. It took a lot of research following leads from this site to find that middle of good quality for a reasonable price. Good value options. But thanks to mattressunderground you can find them in Toronto. So, after tons of back and forth between various materials (memory foam, latex, hybrid. We did not want coil), and spending many hours on manufacturers and retailers websites, then back to mattressunderground looking again at the links for Toronto, making calls to manufacturers and such, we identified that the reasonable options for us would be:
1) Novosbed's classic (we tried the correspinding Tempur and liked it quite a bit)
2) Dreamstar Bedding Natural Escape (4 in talalay latex over 6 in soy biofoam 2lb) in firm
3) Dreamstar gel memory foam mattress firm
4) Galaxy was in there for a moment but they seemed a bit more expensive for quality (e.g., they use 3lb memory foam for top layer)
5) at some point we were so desperate that we almost clicked 'buy' on Casper just to get this over with...I think it would have been ok but we kicked them off the list in the end because we knew Novosbed and Dreamstar have better components for almost the same price.

before I tell you what we decided, let me explain why we did not go with any of the other manufacturers like sleepworks.ca. It just seemed too difficult to deal with them for one customized mattress and you can't try it out before if made to order and in the end you may safe $100 if you took say the Dreamstar information and had someone else put that together. It just did not seem worth it.

we were close to going with the novosbed when I gave Dreamstar a call and I reached a guy called Andy who was really helpful, ready to meet me in their show room (Ton Furniture) and have me try out the mattresses I identified on their website. THere was absolutely no pressure selling going on. He was immediately telling me about the materials they use. He took me back into the manufacturing space where they where busy putting together mattresses. You could see women sowing the tops onto matresses (quited bamboo in my case), I could see the sheets of foam (they use Carpenter), the latex is processed in the US, the glue non toxic. The shop floor did not smell bad at all. It really seemed like a solid, transparent and competent operation. The natural Escape felt really nice. So did the firmer latex version they have of 8 inch HD foam and 2in latex but in the end i wanted a little more of the latex feel. The firm gel memory foam mattress felt perhaps even the best right off the bat but I just couldn't get away from the knowledge that 4" talalay latex shouldn't really develop sag for a long time, while I am always unsure about the memory foam. They do use 5lb foam for comfort layer so it's comparable to Novosbed and probably very durable. But anyway, we got the Dreamstar Natural Escape in firm. They'll make in in the next 5 days, deliver next week. Andy threw in a high quality protector as well. We got a really good feeling about this company. Andy had no urgency at all to sell me anything but was in the showroom if I wanted advice. I hate pushy sales people so this was excellent. They are really busy so I don't think my sale is that important to them. But Andy was great helping me out. So yeah, we will have to get two mattresses for our kids within the next 2-3 years and Dreamstar will be my first stop. Andy told me for example how he customized the Natural escape for his 5year old by making it half the foam and half the latex, so the mattress is lower (safer for loft beds and so on). Andy also offered to customize the firmness of the Natural Escape to anything we'd like (they offer standard firm (more medium-firm to firm) and plush (soft to medium). Because all that means for them is change the foam base when they assemble the mattress.

So, there you go. Since I have been benefiting so much from reading this site and Phoenix's great work here(although let me say how painful wading through all of this volume of information has been as well, esp. because suddenly finding a mattress became such a big deal when before learning about it, all I did was go to the SleepCanada or whatever), I decided to pitch in. This is my story of buying a mattress in Toronto. We are eagerly awaiting the mattress to replace what can only be described as a 13 year old and very broken big brand one. We are very happy that we come across the underground because now we feel like we actually have an idea what we are sleeping on. Once we have splept on it for a while, I'll post an update. We so hope it will be a positive one. In sum, based on my experience, (and I am not an expert obviously, so this is all based on what I can see and judge as a somewhat informed consumer), I think that for folks in Toronto who are looking for good quality but can't spare the time to be calling and visiting all these manufacturers in the area, Dreamstar is a very legit option worth checking out.

07 Aug 2015 11:58 - 07 Aug 2015 11:59 #7 by Phoenix
Hi dzwick,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed and helpful comments about the Toronto market and about the choice you ended up making ... I really appreciate it. I've also added a link to the Ton Furniture description in the Toronto list so that others in the Toronto area can benefit from your feedback as well!

You certainly did some great research and ended up making a great quality/value choice ... and most importantly congratulations on your new mattress :)

I'm looking forward to your comments and feedback once you've had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Last edit: 07 Aug 2015 11:59 by Phoenix.

17 Sep 2015 15:51 - 17 Sep 2015 15:54 #8 by dzwick
so it's been a little more than a month and all I can say is that this mattress has worked out really great for us. you can feel the latex in a really good way. you don't sink in but it's not too firm either. My lower back pain is gone in the morning which is amazing. I never was sure but kinda suspected that maybe the mattress has something to do with the fact that I have lower back pain and need to do gentle stretching before putting on my underwear and socks in the morning. I am a tummy sleeper. So, turns out, no more issues!!! I am soo happy about that. I wake up and feel really good. The first week was a little restless. and I did have my doubts but then we started both to sleep very well and now we just love this mattress. probably took a while because this one is just so different than the old one. It sleeps a little warmer than expected. probably because of the plush quilted mattress cover. it's probably about an inch or inch and half thick so that may be it. but we just slept with thinner blanket and it was fine. Overall, we are super happy that we finally went through with the new mattress purchase and so glad that we ended up with this one. I recommend it as a good value option for those that want quality but don't want to spend $3500. and this place also sells frames that adjust to sit up and such for good prices. so maybe we'll do that some day. the natural escape works with such frames apparently. anyway, there you go. after a year of researching this site and the toronto market, that is where we ended up and at least in our case, it was worth it in the end. so thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions that helped us along the way.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 15:54 by dzwick.

17 Sep 2015 16:16 #9 by Phoenix
Hi dzwick,

Thanks once again for taking the time to share another update.

It's great to see that your choice worked out so well for you :)

27 Jun 2020 09:13 #10 by Dsk22
Hi, I came across a company called Dozy in Toronto and was wondering about their highest end model, the Richmond. It's a hybrid with pocket coils as the base layer, 2 inches of 4lb "open cell"memory foam, 1 inch 40 ILD talalay latex, and 2 inches of 2 lb transition polyfoam I believe.

They said they might be able to source 6lb for the memory foam rather than 4lb, which would be good as I'm also looking for a bed for my 6'7", 250lb brother. I just wanted to know if those specs were good - I wasn't sure about the 40 ILD latex as I've only seen up to about 30 before.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website