Decided on ViSpring 29 Jun 2015 17:09 #1

Hi Phoenix,
This forum was greatly instrumental in helping me decide on a quality bed.
The Mattress Underground is equivalent to attending a University Of Beds, overwhelming and necessary.
Thank you for your commitment and dedication to educating all of us to narrow down on so many beds that are produced, and exposing not so good products and what to ask and not ask the salesperson.
I spent many hours at Urban Mattress in Denver and their patience with me to lay on different beds on the floor helped narrow down to a few choices.
The first on my list was Latex, I really thought I was 'sold' for the Latex until I laid onto the Vi Spring Regal Superb.
Switching back and forth between the Latex and ViSpring there wasn't too hard a decision except for the price v.s. quality sleep. Vi Spring won.
I also bought the Vi Spring horse hair topper.
The bed is in the making as I type this to you.
When the bed arrives and I get some sleeping hours on it, I will report back with you on the results.
Thank you again.

Decided on ViSpring 29 Jun 2015 17:20 #2

Hi Maxie,

As you know from your reading here, the Vi Spring mattresses are exceptionally high quality and they are one of the better "ultra premium" hand built mattress manufacturers IMO.

It sounds like you did some great research and ended up choosing a mattress that was the best "match" for all the criteria that are most important to you and as you mentioned the most important part of the "value" of any mattress purchase is the quality of the sleep it provides.

Most importantly ... congratulations on your new mattress :)

Since there haven't been many forum members that have purchased it ... I'm especially looking forward to your comments and feedback when you've had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

ViSpring won 13 Sep 2015 16:52 #3

Hello Phoenix,
and here is my update since I got my new bed, Vi Spring Regal delivered LAST WEEK!
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and I'm so thankful to have read and studied the knowledge you provided for ALL OF US and for the people that have participated in this forum, THANK YOU ALSO!
Phoenix, I did as you suggested from the beginning to read and get familiar with the terminology and how beds are put together BEFORE trekking to bed stores.
A few sales people tried to sway me to make purchases that were NOT in my category for a bed. It was amazing to experience sales trickery and the pressure. Some sales people didn't tell the full truth about the construction and warranty of their beds or they didn't have the answer.
SO.....VI SPRING WON!
I have the Vi Spring topper over the Vi Spring Regal mattress and it's got the support and comfort I long for a bed.
It's been difficult getting up in the morning because I don't want to get out of the bed, it's that comfortable and worth every dollar (LOTS).
Thank you and I'll be checking in periodically to give updates.
Maxie

ViSpring won 13 Sep 2015 19:02 #4

Hi Maxie,

I switched your post to your previous topic so that the members here that read it can also read your update(s) as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial feedback ... and it's great to see that you are sleeping well on your new mattress and that your purchase turned out well for you :)

I'm looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share as well.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Update on my new ViSpring 03 Mar 2016 08:39 #5

:) It's been a year or close to it that I bought the ViSpring mattress and foundation that goes with it and the ViSpring topper.
I made the right choice in purchasing this expensive bed. The quality and workmanship is excellent.
It did take a few weeks to get used to the mattress that doesn't move or wobble like spring loaded mattresses I have had in the past.
It is very heavy for a lady to flip each 4 months to maintain the structure and no sagging.
I rotate the mattress once a month just to personally maintain it.
The ViSpring topper is on the medium firm side and once in a while I lay that on top of the mattress when I want something different for a few nights.
This is a lovely bed and will last a lifetime with TLC.
Most importantly is when you go to the store, lay on each ViSpring mattress and have a friend or salesperson notice any part of your body that sags. It helps to have a good alignment when you lay on your sides and no sagging in the hip-butt area.
Hope this helps.

Update on my new ViSpring 03 Mar 2016 09:17 #6

Hi Maxie,

I switched this post into your previous topic as well so that the people who read it can also read your previous comments.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments along with another update ... I appreciate it once again :)

Update on my new ViSpring 14 Jul 2016 20:16 #7

Hi Pheonix,
I'm checking in.
It is July 14, 2016 and my lower back is hurting where I dread sleeping on the Full size Vi Spring Regal mattress that I purchased a little over a year ago.
I put on the Vi Spring topper and when I get up in the morning, my lower back, pelvis and hips are very sore.

I've removed the Vi Spring topper and put on a softer topper by Stearns & Foster Lux Down Alternative Fiberbed and my back and pelvis and hips hurt even more when I get up in the morning.

Two weeks ago I had surgery to remove a stoned gall bladder and had to sleep on a recliner chair for 1 1/2 weeks and taking large amounts of Ibuprofen for pain and inflammation while healing from the surgery. I didn't feel back pain while sleeping in the recliner although I had pain around the abdomen from the surgery.
The recliner supported my lower back but after 1 1/2 weeks sleeping in the recliner, I realize that I am mostly a side sleeper. I sometime rest on my back but not sleep on my back.

I tried to sleep on the Vi Spring bed with the topper by Stearns & Foster and I'm convinced the back pain, pelvis and hips pains were not caused by a stoned gall bladder.

As much as I dearly LOVE the Vi Spring bed, I don't know how else to make the adjustments to the mattress other than changing toppers.
I am 5' 0" and weigh 129 lbs. At 66, I never thought getting old-er would be like this, catering to aches and pains.

Do you have suggestions?

Thank you!!!!
Maxie

Update on my new ViSpring 14 Jul 2016 21:01 #8

Hi Maxie,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience on your mattress seems to have changed rather dramatically from your last update just a few months ago.

When did your experience start to change?

Do you have suggestions?

While it's not possible to "diagnose" mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of "comfort", firmness, and PPP or any "symptoms" they experience ... there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here .

The changes in your sleeping experience seem to have happened quite quickly so it's possible that they are related to medical or physiological issues that have changed your needs and preferences in terms of PPP since it's unlikely that your mattress would have changed to any noticeable degree since 4 months ago. It's also possible that you may end up sleeping well on your mattress once again once you have fully healed.

Other than that ... it's not possible for me to know for certain if your sleeping system (mattress and topper) is too firm or too soft but the most common (but not the only) cause of lower back pain is a a sleeping system that is too soft and since adding an even softer topper seemed to make things worse this could be pointing to a mattress/topper combination that is too soft as well.

Have you tried sleeping on just the mattress without a topper? If you have how did it change your experience and your "symptoms"?

If the mattress by itself (without a topper) is also too soft then it would be very difficult to fix because the most effective solution would normally be to remove the layers or components that are too soft and replace them with firmer or thinner layers which of course wouldn't be possible but there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful for a mattress that is too soft at least on a partial or temporary basis.

While it would be less likely based on your comments ... if your mattress is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, "comfort" and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good "match" for both of you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can't test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I'm aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty that can be involved with purchasing a topper where you can't test the combination in person ... a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase and any costs involved just in case the topper you choose doesn't turn out as well as you hoped for.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Update on my new ViSpring 20 Jul 2016 11:12 #9

Hi Phoenix,
Here is the update from your response to my lower back and hips aches.
First I want to thank you so much for your quick reply and suggestion. I did as you said to remove the topper. The next morning I got up without any pain!!! Then the third morning without the topper, I got out of bed with a pain in the middle area of my left bum and neck. Would this have to do with my pillow. What do you think?
What do you look for in a pillow?
Does a bad pillow throw off the alignment?
This morning I woke up with the pain in the middle area of my left bum and no neck pain.
What is causing this area of pain?

Maxie

Update on my new ViSpring 20 Jul 2016 11:45 #10

Hi Maxie,

That's good news!

I wouldn't pay too much attention to a single nights experience which may be an anomaly that could be the result of many things ... some of which may have little to do with your mattress ... and I would look for longer term and more consistent "patterns" in your experience over the course of a longer period of time (such as a week or two).

The pain in your neck could be pillow related (although it could be from your sleeping position as well) but it unlikely that a pain in your bum would be the result of a pillow.

Your mattress is also two sided so I would make sure that you are rotating and flipping it on a regular basis to even out the compression of the natural fiber layers and help maintain the comfort and support of the mattress (see post #2 here ).

What do you look for in a pillow?
Does a bad pillow throw off the alignment?

A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses ... there are certain "needs" that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective "feel" based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here and the other topics and sources of information that it links to that may be helpful.

What is causing this area of pain?

There is no way for me to know for certain and if you haven't been doing so on a regular basis I would flip/rotate your mattress to see if it makes any difference. It's possible that it could be from the firmness of your mattress or it could be from a sleeping position that is straining the muscles in the area as well.

I don't know your normal sleeping positions but if you are a side sleeper it may be worth trying a relatively thin pillow in between your knees and if you are a back sleeper it may be worth trying a pillow under your knees to see if it makes any difference as well.

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.