mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

WARNING: Select Foam has been removed from the TMU membership list

10 Dec 2015 19:40 - 28 Nov 2018 22:44 #1 by Phoenix
Hello All,

As many of you know I posted a link to a caution some time ago about purchasing from Select Foam in the online lists that include them because too many of the members here that purchased from them have experienced delays in their orders, delays in issuing refunds, and other after sales service issues where they have been non responsive, difficult or impossible to reach, and they have certainly not worked hard enough to resolve their customer's issues in a timely manner. This is not the type of service and commitment that I would expect from the members of this site.

Over the course of the last few weeks I have noticed additional instances of the same type of poor after sales service and delays and lack of response and communication and there appears to be a growing number of outstanding issues that haven't been resolved. As I have done many times in the past ... I talked with Matt (the owner) to let him know that this was unacceptable and he told me he was just getting on a plane and promised to look into all the outstanding issues that have been mentioned on the forum and get back to me so that I could have some assurance that they would be quickly resolved. Unfortunately this didn't happen and I am still waiting for a return phone call (see posts #23 and #25 here ).

In addition to this ... since a recent change in their suppliers there is now also some question about whether the quality/density of the memory foam that they are advertising on their website is what they are actually using in their mattresses and toppers and I would also want reliable confirmation that the density of their foam materials is described correctly (see post #7 here ).

Overall ... I am very concerned about their lack of customer service and delays and I am also concerned that these growing issues and delays may be symptomatic of possible financial issues with their company and I would encourage the members here to avoid them completely until it becomes clear that they have resolved their customer service issues, that the foam densities that they are listing in their mattresses are correct, and that their company is healthy.

Given their continuing pattern of poor customer service and delays ... I have decided to terminate their membership here because I no longer believe that they "compete well with the best in the industry" in terms of their quality, value, AND service or are truly committed to solving the ongoing issues that they are experiencing.

For those that have already made a purchase, I would also strongly consider cancelling your order and if they aren't able to provide an immediate refund (within 48 hours) I would also strongly consider opening a dispute with your credit card or with paypal (depending on how you paid) because of the additional risk that could be involved in completing your purchase if these issues are a "symptom" of financial issues as well.

I am certainly very disappointed to have to take this action because as a company they have always had real potential but their strengths as a company have been overwhelmed by their weaknesses and their inability to resolve them and giving them more time to resolve their issues is no longer a feasible option. At some point the elastic stops stretching ... and breaks.

NOTE ADDED: They now seem to have gone out of business.

PS: I have made this post a sticky post so it will appear at the top of the forum (in the index view) and I will leave it there for a couple of weeks so that anyone that is considering a purchase from them will be sure to see it.

Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 22:44 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

11 Dec 2015 21:08 #2 by GW208
What a shame and sorry to hear that. I'm sure you agonized over this decision for quite some time but they only have themselves to blame for this.
Thank you for putting the integrity of this forum first and foremost.

11 Dec 2015 21:53 #3 by Phoenix
Hi GW208,

Yes I did ... but over time and multiple conversations it became more and more clear that it was the only right thing to do. Promises to improve and resolve outstanding issues in a timely manner need to be kept.

Thank you for putting the integrity of this forum first and foremost.

Thanks for the kind words and support ... I appreciate it!

29 Dec 2015 20:26 #4 by oscarspaz
Appreciate what you did to keep the integrity of this website.

30 Dec 2015 03:53 #5 by Phoenix
Hi oscarspaz,

02 Jan 2016 06:35 - 28 Nov 2018 22:45 #6 by chrismv48
This is disappointing to read. We ordered a Regalis mattress from them a few months ago and were planning on exchanging it for the Cirrus Luxe. This wasn't any fault of theirs; I just didn't realize I needed a much softer mattress until I tried the corresponding Tempurpedics in store.

While I did experience much of the shenanigans with customer service, I was looking forward to exchanging because it does still seem like they ship a quality product despite their lackluster customer service.

At this point, if you strongly recommend we get a refund instead, can someone recommend a suitable alternative? We're looking for a memory foam mattress comparable to Tempurpedic's Cloud Luxe: www.tempurpedic.com/tempur-cloud-collect...empur-cloud-luxe.asp

Thanks,
Chris
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 22:45 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

02 Jan 2016 10:13 - 28 Nov 2018 22:47 #7 by Phoenix
Hi chrismv48,

They certainly used to ship a quality product and it's possible that they still do but at the very least I would want confirmation that the foam densities that they list on their site are correct. The only way to do this would be to know the correct weight of the mattress so you can calculate what the mattress "should weigh" and compare it to what the mattress actually weighs.

At least some of their law tags appeared to show that the weight of the mattress was lower than it should be (see post #7 here ) but their supplier (FXI) also indicated that the law tag was incorrect and that they needed to correct them (see the PS at the end of post #17 here ).

If you can confirm that the Cirrus Luxe is the correct weight (they could send you a picture of a corrected law tag to confirm this before you did the exchange) then at least you could be confident that the densities are correct and that the materials are still good quality/density so the only risk you would be taking would involve the exchange process itself and your confidence that the Cirrus Luxe would be a good "match" for you in terms of PPP..

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I'm aware of (in the optional online step) and several of them make good quality mattresses that are designed to be reasonable approximations of many of the Tempurpedic mattresses (including the Cloud Luxe) which would be well worth talking to and considering.

If you want to include local options in your research as well then if you let me know your city or zip code I'd be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I'm aware of in your area as well.

Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 22:47 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

02 Jan 2016 10:28 #8 by chrismv48
Hi Pheonix,

Thanks for the quick response!

My zip code is 10001 (Manhattan). We've already visited quite a few of the stores here, but maybe you know of some we've missed.

In the meantime, I'll ask Select Foam to send a picture of the law tag.

02 Jan 2016 11:35 - 28 Nov 2018 22:48 #9 by Phoenix
Hi chrismv48,

The better options or possibilities I'm aware of in and around the NYC region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your individual criteria and the quality/value guidelines here ) are listed in post #2 here .

In the meantime, I'll ask Select Foam to send a picture of the law tag.

It will be interesting to see if they have been "corrected".

Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 22:48 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

03 Jan 2016 15:56 - 28 Nov 2018 22:49 #10 by chrismv48
Hi Phoenix,

So I decided to do the same calculation you did in this post with the Regalis Luxe. This would be another data point which we can use to determine whether Select Foam's listed attributes are accurate.

Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive:

The weight of the Regalix Luxe Queen size mattress should be:

Top layer = 60 x 80 x 1.5 / 1728 x 7.2 = 30lb
Middle layer = 60 x 80 x 2.5 / 1728 x 5.3 = 36.8lb
Bottom layer = 60 x 80 x 9 /1728 x 1.8* = 45lb (note that the bottom layer density is not listed on the website, so I'm using your 1.8lb density estimate from the above linked posted)
Total weight = 111.8lb

Now this is where things get weird. The weight according to the law tag is 62.7lb, and the weight according to FedEx is 133lbs. 62.7lb seems way too low to be accurate to me, so I'm inclined to think the true weight is maybe 130lbs if you deduct a few pounds for packaging from the FedEx weight. The remaining ~19lb variance could be due to the bottom layer being denser than 1.8lbs.

So this seems to support the claim that the law tags are wrong. The only thing that seems suspicious was when I measured the individual layers on the mattress; the top layer was closer to 1" than 1.5". Probably not enough to get upset about though.

Please let me know if you see anything off about my calculations/conclusions!

I'll still try to get a picture of the law tag for the Cirrus Luxe before they send it when I speak with them tomorrow.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 22:49 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website