Do I need to reconsider my options? 25 Feb 2016 15:11 #1

ADMIN EDIT: This post was originally a reply to this post in a different topic but was split into a new topic of its own because it was outside of the scope of the original topic it was posted in.

I have made an adjustment as I previously mentioned, by putting the Luna mattress protector on in lieu of my mattress pad. The effect is negligible. I realize from reading through the forum posts that there is a lot of trial & error involved in finding the right mattress. I just need to reconsider my options. Do I even want a hybrid type mattress? I see there is a new company, Voila, that offers their hybrids in various firmness. Or I may be better off avoiding foam & going for a latex mattress, I need to do some more research.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 25 Feb 2016 16:52 #2

Hi Loiroi,

I split your post into a new topic of it's own since it was about a different mattress and was outside of the scope of the original topic you posted in. Unless you are the original poster ... I normally prefer that the members start a new topic if they are asking about a different mattress or if their comments or questions aren't closely related to the original topic.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range ... the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a "better/worse" choice (see this article ).

Every category of mattresses can include hundreds (or thousands) of different mattresses with different designs and different firmness levels so each category will generally include some mattresses that you may sleep well on and other mattresses that use the same type of materials and are in the same category that may be unsuitable for you to sleep on (regardless of which materials and components are used in the mattress).

In other words ... how well the specific design of a mattress "matches" your body type and sleeping style in terms of Posture/alignment and Pressure relief/comfort and your individual preferences is generally more important than the type of materials themselves (which is more of a preference based on the "feel" and response of different materials and components). Like most things ... different people can have very different preferences and there is no inherent reason that one type or category of mattress would be "better" for you than another one outside of cost considerations and your personal preferences.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn't turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can't speak to how any mattress will "feel" for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances (the only way to know this will be based on your own personal experience) ... outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can't see or "feel" and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The Voila mattress doesn't list the specifics of the materials and components inside it that I can see but if you can find out the information in the "mattress specifications you need to know" article and post them on the forum I'd certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could be a cause for concern.

If for any reason they aren't willing or able to provide all the information you need to know to make an "informed choice" then I would avoid it completely because it would be a very risky purchase.

Last edit: by Administrator. Reason: Updating link to https: status

Do I need to reconsider my options? 26 Feb 2016 07:18 #3

Hi Phoenix, thanks again for your thoroughness & expertise. I did notice there was no mention of the composition of the mattress. I called Voila, but the service rep didn't have the information available. They promised to get back to me, so as soon as I hear from them, I will post it. She did say that Talay was in it & the materials came from outside the US.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 27 Feb 2016 15:43 #4

This one looked intriguing to me too but I wasn't able to get much information from them either on the materials used and I am put off by the fact it's a Chinese made mattress although that likely explains the very competitive pricing.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 05 Mar 2016 16:06 #5

They never responded to my initial inquiry about the composition of their product, despite my having given them my phone number.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 05 Mar 2016 18:16 #6

Hi Loiroi,

Thanks for letting us know.

I hope that at some point someone will be more successful than you were in finding out the specifics of the materials inside it but of course it's also possible that they are just choosing not to disclose this information as well.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 12 Nov 2016 07:34 #7

Hi Loiroi,

Thanks for letting us know.

Hello everyone,

I have found two mattress review websites that have listed the specifics of the Voila mattress in different firmness levels.

This is for the 'Hybrid Plush' model:

cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-x577eti/products/78/images/292/hybrid-12-inch-isometric__43709.1461336680.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

The 12″ Plush Voila is composed of the following layers:

Stretch polyester cover – with breathable mesh side fabric
Flame resistant cover– 1633 / 1632 CFR flame resistant cover
2.5″ 3.0lb gel Visco foam edge to edge
.75″ 2.5lb support foam edge to edge
.75″ 2.5lb side wall edge foam, inside of this cavity is .75″ latex
fiber insulator pad
6.25″ five zone pocketed coils with edge support
6.25″ 2.5lb edge support foam with ventilator holes for airflow
fiber insulator pad
.75″ medium base foam
1″ firm base foam
Base Cover

What is everyone's thoughts on these materials/specifications?

Last edit: by oznefu.

Do I need to reconsider my options? 12 Nov 2016 11:51 #8

Hi oznefu,

This post is basically a repost of one you made in another tread, so anyone interested in an answer to this should take a look to my reply in post #8 here .

In the future, please posting similar comments in only one forum would be a great service to me and the readers, as it helps to consolidate information better and also makes it easier for forum members to conduct research.

Thanks! :lol:

Last edit: by Administrator. Reason: Updating link to https: status
The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.