Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 05:04 #1

A couple questions around these: Link

1) Does anyone know what HeveaPUR is? It seems like a marketing gimmick but it doesn't mention if it's talalay or dunlap.

2) They have their models setup with 8" = firm, 9" = medium, and 10' = softest. Normally it seems most places just have everything the same height. Does anyone see any issues with this model?

3) More of a general latex question. Does latex soften over time? We bought the Evening Dreams Comfort Plush ( Link ) last year but had to rotate the mattress every week as I'm 280lbs and over the week my side would soften too much. This didn't happen till 60-90 days in or so. When I'm in the store should I plan on getting one slightly firmer than I'd really like?

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 07:20 #2

Warder45:

I saw your question and wanted to provide a quick reply - I'm sure Phoenix will provide more complete details for you.

HeveaPUR is a registered name for a Dunlop latex. It is GOLS certified (there is currently no GOLS certified Talalay latex).

Yes, all foams soften over time. Latex will tend to change the least as time goes on.

As an aside, the GOTS and GOLS certifications for the product you mentioned have expired. Perhaps just an error with that company keeping their web site up to date.
Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator™ Owner of Mattress To Go
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 07:27 #3

Thanks for the info! It's not surprising as the sales person mentioned they are phasing those models out and new models will be available shortly.

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 07:31 #4

I don't know that the model changeover would have anything to do with the certifications expiring. Companies are often lax in updating their web sites for things like this and they could be completely current with GOTS/GOLS. It could be a simple remerchandising of their lineup, which brands tend to do every 1-2 years.
Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator™ Owner of Mattress To Go
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 07:31 #5

Hi Warder45,

HeaveaPUR is just a trade name that they use for latex. In their iChoice HeveaPUR mattresses the HeveaPUR latex is Talalay. They say it's 100% natural in the description but I would confirm this because their ILD numbers match the numbers for Talalay Global's blended Talalay latex.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexfoam.com/products.html

In their HeaveaPUR mattresses they say that the latex has an organic certification which would mean that it's Dunlop because there isn't any certified organic Talalay latex.

The thickness of a layer and the firmness of a layer will both affect how soft they feel so it's quite common for softer latex mattresses to have thicker comfort layers and be thicker overall than firmer latex mattresses.

3) More of a general latex question. Does latex soften over time? We bought the Evening Dreams Comfort Plush (Link) last year but had to rotate the mattress every week as I'm 280lbs and over the week my side would soften too much. This didn't happen till 60-90 days in or so. When I'm in the store should I plan on getting one slightly firmer than I'd really like?

All foam materials will soften over time but latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials so it will soften less and more gradually than other types of foam materials.

The softness of a foam material will also affect its durability because softer layers are less durable than firmer layers that use the same type of material and foam materials will also soften and break down faster for those that are in higher weight ranges than for those that are in lower weight ranges so I would be cautious with mattresses that use softer latex layers (particularly with an ILD in the low to mid teens) because they are more likely to soften or break down more rapidly with your weight and there would also be a higher risk of alignment issues when you sleep on the mattress as well.

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it's "false firmness" and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here ) but the mattresses on the showroom floor will generally already be broken in so you wouldn't need to take this into account.

For most people there will be a range of firmness levels that will be suitable for them to sleep on but for some people that are less sensitive the range would be wider and for some people that are more sensitive the range would be narrower. I would choose the mattress that your careful testing for alignment and pressure relief indicates is the best match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) but if you find that there are two mattresses that would both be suitable choices then I would choose the one that is slightly firmer.

PS: I called one of their stores after I wrote my original reply to ask them about the latex in the HeveaPUR mattresses and they told me that it was Talalay that comes from Sri Lanka but the descriptions say that the latex has a GOLS certification and there isn't any Talalay latex that has an organic certification and there also isn't any Talalay latex that is made in Sri Lanka and when I told him this he said he would check further and email me what he was able to find out. If it really is Talalay then the description that says it has an organic certification would be incorrect.

Last edit: by Administrator. Reason: Updating link to https: status

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 10:49 #6

Thanks for the info! One more question.

The only other latex mattresses I can find in the area are at Sleep Doctor. However I can't find any information online around them. They labeled them the Celeste and Latex Eurotop. I know they are hybrid's with foam core and latex topper but I couldn't get more info out of them. Anyone been able to track down the ILD? They look very similar to the Dream foam bedding, with the same covers and such.

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 11:20 #7

Warder45:

Can you please provide a link to the products in question?

Being a product with a foam core, these items wouldn't be "true" latex mattresses, so comparisons to the earlier models you mentioned would be a bit of apples to oranges. Also, knowing the ILD of a layer of latex foam isn't a reflection upon the quality of the foam, but more the indication of the plushness, which of course will vary in a finished mattress based upon the combination of all of the other comfort layers.
Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator™ Owner of Mattress To Go
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 11:37 #8

Unfortunately I can't find these mattresses online anywhere. They were next to the restonic in store but all those had restonic signs. The 5 latex mattresses all had Sleep Doctor signs with printed labels and prices. They had 3 with polyfoam cores and 2 total latex. I'm wondering if the store owner didn't order these from dreamfoam bedding and mark them as Sleep Doctor mattresses, tripling the price.

A little backstory, my GF just moved to DC for work and I let her have our newer foam bed. I'm now on my old college 'Westin' mattress (11 years old now) which is causing my lower back pain every morning and I'm not sleeping well on it. I'm looking for a replacement, but since it'll move to a guest room in 1-2 years; the decision I'm wrestling with is go with a dreamfoam bedding mattress or take advantage of the markdown on the full latex Denver mattress ones. If I go with DF, I was hoping that I could use this Celeste Firm to help with my 'Ask Chuck' number.

EDIT: Looking at it closer, it seems DF and the Sleep Doctor are different, at least in the covers. SD had a brown side with handles vs the DF seems to be all white. They both have the same top with bamboo stitched into it.

Last edit: by Warder45.

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 11:44 #9

Personally I can't be of assistance with a private label item - there would be no way for me to know what is in the product. Your best source for that information would be the actual retailer. My advice has always been to only deal with retailers who are upfront and offer complete specifications for their products. If they don't, I would consider another retailer who is more assistive. Maybe someone else here has more knowledge of the products in question.
Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator™ Owner of Mattress To Go
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Denver Mattress HeveaPUR 12 Aug 2016 11:54 #10

I completely agree. One of the reasons I'm even entertaining the thought of the Denver Mattress ones even though they are 3 times the cost of a DF, is because they are very open about their stuff and they have an excellent return policy.

The Sleep Doctor store didn't have a refund policy, only a exchange.

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.