Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 09 Oct 2016 21:48 #1

Hi Phoenix,

I'm in the market for a mattress in Australia. I read your guide and it's very helpful. I also read the article you wrote on *Simplified Choice* mattresses and found particularly the section on each different choice trustworthy. I would like to make a request now that Australia has so many choices of our own that if you got the chance for you to be able to do a small review of some of the major players.

I've listed the brands I found:
- Koala
- Ecosa
- Greywing
- Sleeping Duck
- OzMattress
- Ergoflex
- Lazybed
- Onebed

I have spoken to multiple online support about their brand and have found that the websites even all look the same, use the same customer facing chat service and the same financing company which is suspicious.

Thank you very much for your support and help. Australia is a much smaller market than the US, however, there's still enough room for obfuscation.

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 10 Oct 2016 08:08 #2

Hi joshuatvernon,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ... all the way from Australia.

While most of the focus of the forum is on North America ... I also think it would be helpful to have some information about some of the Australian simplified choice mattresses and It will be a good complement to the list of Australian retailers and manufacturers in post #7 here .

To start with and just to make sure that everyone that reads this is on the same page ... the first post in the simplified choice topic would be well worth reading.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the "value" of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn't turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will "feel" for someone else or whether it will be a good "match" in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress ... outside of PPP (which is the most important part of "value"), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress.

This is the part of your research that you can't see or "feel" and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

This is the part that I can help with as long as I know all the information I would need to know (see this article ) to make any meaningful comments about the durability and useful life of the mattress so I'll list each of them and either mention what you would need to find out before I can make any meaningful comments or if all the information I would need is available then I'll make some comments about the durability of the materials in the mattress.

There are also a couple of others I'm aware of that I'll include as well which are ...

Sommuto
Sleep Republic

and I'll also add any others that I come across.

It may take a week or two to find the time to look at the Australian simplified choice mattresses so watch this space and I will edit this post and add information as I get to each of them.

- Koala:

Top layer: They call this a Kloud layer which is probably a type of what I call high performance polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Base layer: 38 kg/m3 polyfoam which translates to 2.37 lbs/ft3 which is a high quality material that would be suitable for any weight range although I would want to know the thickness of this layer as well.

- Ecosa:

Top layer: 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex. This is a high quality material but I would want to know the thickness.

Middle layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Base layer: Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer as well.

- Greywing:

Top layer: Latex. This is a good quality material but I would want to know the thickness and the type and blend of the latex.

- Sleeping Duck:

Top layer: 20 mm (.79") Synthetic Dunlop latex (80% natural 20% synthetic). This is a good quality and durable material

Second layer: 20 mm (.79") Gel memory foam. I would need to know the density of this layer.

Third layer: 80 mm (3.15") Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Support core: 5 zone pocket coil with coil edge support. This is a good quality component.

- OzMattress MOD:

Quilting layer: Polyester fiber. I would need to know the thickness of this layer.

Top layer: Latex. This is a good quality material but I would want to know the type and blend and the thickness of this layer.

Second layer: Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and the density of this layer.

Support core: Zoned innerspring with a firmer center zone and steel coil edge support.. This is a good quality component.

Stabilization layer: Polyfoam. While this wouldn't be the weakest link in the mattress I would want to know the thickness and the density.

NOTE: Based on the picture it appears that there may be one additional layer and if this is the case then I would need to know the specifics of this layers as well.

- OzMattress Supra:

Quilting layer: Wool. This is a good quality natural fiber but I would want to know the thickness.

Second layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and the density of this layer.

Support core: Zoned innerspring with a firmer center zone and a polyfoam surround for edge support.. This is a good quality component but I would need to know the density of the polyfoam around the pocket coil.

- OzMattress Grand Master:

Quilting layer: Natural silk and natural wool blend. These are good quality natural fibers but I would want to know the thickness.

Top layer: Buckling column gel sections that are inside cutouts in a memory foam layer. The buckling column gel is a good quality material but I would need to know the thickness of the buckling colums and the type and thickness and density of the foam layer that they are embedded in..

- Ergoflex

Top layer: 9 cm (3.54") 5.3 lb density memory foam. This is a good quality material

Second layer: 1.97" Convoluted polyfoam. I would need to know the density of this layer.

Base Layer: 9 cm (3.54") Polyfoam. I wiould need to know the density of this layer.

Last edit: by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 24 Oct 2016 02:26 #3

Hi Phoenix,

In New Zealand we only seem to have Koala and Ecosa, so I'm interested in this too. Here's what I've managed to get out of Ecosa's support so far:

- Ecosa:

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) Ecosa brand gel memory foam.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on that!

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 24 Oct 2016 12:27 #4

Hi monopcalypse,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! from New Zealand! :lol:

- Ecosa:

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) Ecosa brand gel memory foam.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Thank you for finding out that information about the Ecosa mattress.

The top layer of Dunlop latex is a durable material. The middle memory foam layer is bordering on what I consider the “minimum” for durability for those in moderate BMI ranges. This is approaching the 4 lb. minimum that I like to recommend. Above 90 kilos, I’d recommend something that is 5 lb. density for memory foam.

The base layer is intriguing for me. I’d want to confirm with Ecosa that this specification is actually correct. A density of 3.75 lb. (listing exactly the same as the memory foam) is outside of the normal range for a base polyfoam in a mattress (usually we see 1.5 lb. – 2.5 lb. here in North America). This chart from the Polyurethane Foam Association places this polyfoam in the range of automotive seat cushions or carpet underlay.

Without confirming the base layer of polyfoam, but assuming it is at least a minimum of 1.8 lb., this product would tend to have componentry that is suitable for people in a moderate BMI range. Of course, having a good return/exchange policy is important with any online purchase where you can’t test the item in person, and Ecosa has a 100 night trial, so that’s a good thing.

Let me know if you’re able to confirm that polyfoam base layer. Those numbers just don’t seem to be right, based upon my experience and what the industry tends to use in these mattresses.

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 25 Oct 2016 22:43 #5

Hi Phoenix,

I thought the density of the base layer seemed unusual too, so I double-checked and got this reply: "That is just our design, a firmer base for support and longevity with a softer materials on top for comfort." I'm also waiting to hear back about whether the foam is certified to have low VOC emissions, since they're quite vague on their website.

Thanks for your comments.
-- Mono

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 26 Oct 2016 09:33 #6

Hi monopocalypse,

Yes, that’s just a bunch of gibberish. And didn’t answer your question. Quite often, the people in the chat forums or on the telephone are customer service representatives who really know nothing more than what is typed for them in a booklet about the product. Sometimes it takes an email to the appropriate person to get a more detailed answer, if one at all.

I’ll look forward to your findings.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 16 Nov 2016 13:12 #7

Well I still haven't managed to get anything useful from Ecosa support, but I have found a few more retailers in NZ. Here's a summary of all of them. Prices are for a queen size in NZD, including any sales at time of writing.

- Napp ($1048):

Top layer: 60mm (2.36") 45kg/m3 (2.81 lb/ft3) Hygroflex Indulge hybrid memory/HR foam.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 45kg/m3 (2.81 lb/ft3) memory foam.

Base layer: 140mm (5.51") 35kg/m3 (2.18 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Note: The owner responded to my questions himself and was very forthcoming with technical information. The foams are all GECA approved, and the mattress uses water-based adhesives. The mattress is manufactured and guaranteed by A. H. Beard (a large Australian company). Hygroflex has a support factor of 1.85, so calling it HR foam might be a stretch -- the manufacturer says it has "the features of memory foam combined with the functionality of high resilience foam" ( source ).

- Sleep & Co S3 ($799):
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepandco.nz/product/s3-memory-foam/

Top layer: 40mm (1.57") dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 2.5lb/ft3 memory foam.

Base layer: 170mm (6.69") 1.5lb/ft3 polyfoam.

Note: The memory foam and polyfoam are both Certi-PUR certified, and the mattress uses water-based adhesives. They also have a range of pocket spring mattresses.

- Koala ($975) :

Top layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 35kg/m3 (2.18 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Base layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 38 kg/m3 (2.37 lb/ft3) memory foam.

Note: Total thickness is 250mm (9.84"). Both layers are GECA approved, and the mattress uses water-based adhesive. They quietly removed a layer from their product a few months ago, which calls all the reviews on their website into question, The support rep said the layers are "the same type of foam but different densities”, but she also said they're made by Dunlop Foams so by a process of elimination these are consist of multiple layer of polyfoam.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/op35-110 | Archived Footprint 2: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/ST35-230]ST35-230 | Archived Footprint 3: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/ST35-200]ST35-200 | Archived Footprint 4: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/medical/lr38-40-0]LR38-40

- Ecosa ($950):

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) Ecosa brand gel memory foam.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Note: They still haven't been able to tell me what certification their foams have.

Last edit: by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status and Removed Page Not Found Link (404 Error)

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 16 Nov 2016 14:32 #8

Hi monopocalypse,

Thanks for the updates and some of your findings. ;)

It’s nice that the Napp mattress owner responded to your inquiry with information. Transparency certainly is an important part of your value equation . All of the foams listed are higher in quality and there are no weak links in the mattress. The Hygroflex appears to be one of the newer generations of HR polyfoams that take on some of the resilience characteristics of memory foam, but have better airflow and larger windows in the foam. The GECA approval is “similar” to CertiPUR-US standards, but there are other elements for which the product is not allowed to have and there are also “social considerations”.

With the Sleep & Co S3 mattress, the Dunlop would certainly be a durable material, but of course you'd want to know more about it, and more specifically you’d want to know the information about the memory foam and polyfoam core layers that we previously discussed. Hopefully they’ll get back to you with that information.

Thanks for the updates.

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 19 Nov 2016 23:23 #9

I've updated my previous post with more information. At this point I'm tossing up between Napp and Sleep & Co -- Ecosa are being very cagey about whether they have any kind of environmental certification which has put me off, and the Koala mattress doesn't particularly appeal to me. I'm not entirely sold on the top layer of the Napp mattress or the bottom layer of the Sleep & Co mattress. I'd love a second opinion!

Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison 20 Nov 2016 12:00 #10

Hi monopocalypse,

Thank you for updating some of your previous posts.

In the Napp mattress, the Hygroflex-Indulge HR polyfoam looks to be one of the newer generation of polyfoams of a higher-density that have some of the pressure relieving properties of memory foam, but have the resiliency typical of a polyfoam. The Joyce Foam VPF manufacturing is also quite interesting. As a polyfoam, the density is a good quality – above the 2.5 lb. threshold for HR polyfoam. The middle layer of memory foam is a little lower in density than what I’d normally like to see in a mattress in this price range.

The Sleep & Co. mattress uses 1.5 lb. polyfoam in the base. It uses a good quality Dunlop latex in the upper layer, and a similar density of a middle layer of memory foam to the Napp mattress, but at 1.5 lb. it is a little lower quality than what I would normally recommend for a mattress in this price range (1.8 lb. would be better). 1.5 lb. can be a good option when used in more introductory mattresses in lower price ranges as a trade-off to reduce price, but the Sleep & Co. is still in the “same ballpark” of pricing with these other models.

I hope that information is helpful as you continue to perform your research.