Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 28 Nov 2016 20:42 #1

I visited Shovlin Mattress Factory and am looking at their medium latex mattress vs the hybrid bed system at urban natural. Mike said that a Dacron mattress topper comes free of charge with the latex mattress. It was okay, but not as nice as the 1.25 soft talalay topper that urban natural added to their hybrid mattress. Would it be overkill to add this topper? Would it interfere with the support properties of the mattress?

Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 29 Nov 2016 10:53 #2

Hi jak8,

Only you can “feel” what you feel, so the only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good "match" for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it. While you didn’t mention the complete specifications of each mattress you are considering, and which mattress upon which you are considering placing this topper, in general adding only 1.25” of Talalay latex on top of a mattress would be considered a more “conservative” modification of surface comfort and generally wouldn’t be in the arena of “overkill.”

Would it interfere with the support properties of the mattress?

There is also more about primary or "deep" support and secondary or "surface" support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the "roles" of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between "support" and "pressure relief" and "feel". Changes in the deeper layers tend to have more of an influence on the overall “support” of a mattress, and your proposal, while allowing for a bit more surface conformation, would in general have a more minor impact upon overall support and have a greater impact upon “pressure relief.”

Last edit: by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 29 Nov 2016 17:09 #3

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it. I think we are going with Shovlin's latex mattress. And then if needed the soft talalay topper. Hubby prefers the firmness of the medium latex mattress. This site has really helped with my purchase decision and I've directed several others towards it. Thanks for what you do Phoenix.

Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 30 Nov 2016 09:36 #4

Hi jak8,

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

You’re welcome.

As you know, Shovlin is a member here which means that I think highly of them. If you do decide to purchase from them, I would be interested to learn about your experience with your new mattress once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Thank you!

Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 17 Jan 2017 18:39 #5

Hi Phoenix, just reporting back after our purchase from Shovlin. To recap, we purchased the Nirvana King mattress set with Medium firmness. ( hubby preferred medium. I leaned towards soft). We've owned this mattress for 2 weeks and it's literally a game changer. I am getting used to sleeping on a decent mattress and hubby absolutely loves it. I'm holding off on the latex topper just yet, but not ruling it out as I do miss that "sink in" feeling. I do not, miss waking up sore. This was truly money well spent. Thanks for your advice and for your blog.

Applying soft topper to a latex mattress 18 Jan 2017 10:38 #6

Hi jak8,

Congratulations on your new Shovlin mattress! :) You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I’m happy that you’ve adjusted so quickly to your new mattress. And it’s nice that you always have the option of adding the topper down the road, but of course if you’re sleeping well it may not be a necessity.

I’m glad I could help with information to assist you as you went through your mattress shopping process.

I’m looking forward to any updates you are able to provide after you’ve had a chance to sleep on your mattress for a while longer.