Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 13 Jan 2017 14:54 #1

We have a 2.5 month old mattress & base set that seems to have some issues so have some general questions on quality and quality control. One is it is a split king and the frames are over 1/4" difference in height, is that within quality standards? The adjustable base motors drag at different rates as well.
The mattresses are so firm there is no flex or sink when lying on them, they also do not "give" or bend when the adjustable base is lifted. They do have internal springs and my concern is they are too stiff for an adjustable base - is that usual? I do feel very firm spots that feels like the springs, harder in some areas than others, is that normal?
Any answers or general advice you can give is helpful, I am currently shopping for a new mattress(es) and do need the assistance in this to guide my next steps.

Thank you.

Michele

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 13 Jan 2017 16:12 #2

I’ll do my best to answer for you, being a retailer myself.

So when you say “frames” I’m guessing you mean adjustable bed base units. Depending upon the design of your adjustable bed base, there can be small differences overall in height, and ¼” wouldn’t be out of the norm, especially if the top deck of your power base, like most, uses some polyfoam under the covering. Also, I would make sure that all of the legs are screwed in the same amount just in case when they were assembled there could have been a difference there. If the base units are synced (it is necessary periodically to get both “reset” to the all-flat position) they will usually stay within an inch or so of each other. If both units are the same, they should be using the same motor, and while they wouldn’t necessarily be “exact” in their coordination, they should be “close” to each other. If their rates are different due to different mattresses being placed on them (using two twin XL) and people of different mass being on them while being adjusted, a different speed would be normal.

Did you buy the adjustable bed bases with the mattresses at the same time? If so, the retailer should have made sure to show you only mattresses that are “adjustable bed friendly”, with no border rods along the side and the foam encasing sliced to allow for movement. An innerspring mattress, even one that is “adjustable bed friendly”, won’t bend very well without the mass of an individual upon it, and it will become more flexible over time, but it will never contour as well as a memory foam or all latex mattress.

If you purchased your mattresses separately from your adjustable bed bases, it is possible the retailer wasn’t aware that you were going to place these on an adjustable bed base and you could have been sold innerspring mattresses that are “traditional” and not bendable.

Without more specific information, that’s about the best I can do. I hope that’s helpful.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go
Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator™ Owner of Mattress To Go
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 15 Jan 2017 12:56 #3

Hi geminishele,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :)

I would add a "ditto" to Jeff's remarks, and I really couldn't add anything until you provide some of the information he asked for in his reply.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 16 Jan 2017 16:46 #4

Thank you both for the quick replies!

To add to the information, the top of the adjustable bases are 3/8" in difference, quite a big difference out of conformance from a manufacturing and engineering standpoint I believe. There is not way to adjust any of the components, the legs are bolted on, part of the frame is welded, the flat cover fits directly over the frame. The mattresses are in fact also different specs, it was quite obvious when I made the bed up for the first time the cover dropped down from one to the other. We swapped the mattresses to accommodate this, and the "fit is better on the top side now, but this won't be viable when I replace the mattresses or get a one piece king top. Which is coming soon as I am sleeping on my less-uncomfortable couch in order to get any sleep at all.

We purchased all 4 pieces from the same dealer at the same time, as a package. He did not have the mattresses or the frame in his warehouse; they came from different locations, different companies manufactured them, and he stated this was the first time he's sold an adjustable bed and he's only sold the split kings a handful of times. So no surprise really he had no idea what he was selling or how they would function.

As for the motor, this is running the beds with no one on them, standing side by side and synchronizing the operation. One is over 3 seconds faster to the top. Just shoddy manufacturing and QC all the way down the line. Or perhaps I was sold an RTO or known defective unit to begin with. No way to know.

Thank you again, even without knowing the details and answers to the questions I think you've given me great insight and confirmation that what I purchased was bunk.

Michele

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 17 Jan 2017 09:14 #5

HI geminishele,

I’m sorry you’re having such a bad time with your local purchase :( , but as I think you’ve already surmised, you may have purchased your items from a dealer with little experience with these products.

The 3/8” difference in height wouldn’t be as worrisome to me, as there can be variations in the foam padding placed on top of the deck and how tightly the covering is secured over that. Also, you may have a unit that has some adjustability in the end point (flat) of the motors which could be adjusted down a bit. Without seeing the units in person I really couldn’t offer much more. The motors running 3 seconds in difference to the top without load is odd – most synced units stay within ½” of each other or so. These are not extremely precise units, but a 3 second difference is considerable.

Again, I’m sorry about your situation, but hopefully you’ve found some good information on this site to help you make a better choice the next time you purchase a mattress or adjustable bed base.

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 17 Jan 2017 11:43 #6

Thank you, Phoenix. I don't know about the adjustability of the base heights, but yes the motor variation and the mattresses themselves are my biggest concerns. I was willing to keep the base and try to sync them if we purchased a new mattress, but with the motor seemingly faulty I just want the entire package gone.

Thank you again for your help, this has definitely been insightful and an assistance in dealing with the retailer. Now let's hope he remedies all of this soon!

Michele

Defective or quality control issues, local dealer won't respond 17 Jan 2017 14:28 #7

Hi geminishele,

Good luck with everything!