× Welcome! Any mattress questions are welcome here ... but make sure you've read the mattress shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page :).

normal Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System versus Plushbeds Luxury Bliss Natural Latex

12 Mar 2017 12:49 #1 by anniesearch

Hello, I was looking for a hybrid mattress with inner springs and natural latex on top. I've narrowed my search down to the two above - Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System versus Plushbeds Luxury Bliss Natural Latex. I was wondering if you could comment on the pro's and con's of each, for example the construction and quality? For example, Luma's coils are not encased and Plushbeds' is - would that possibly affect the comfort level?

Thank you so much!

12 Mar 2017 19:27 #2 by Phoenix

Hi anniesearch,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I think you may be confused with the nomenclature used in the description about the Plushbed mattress in question. Both the Luma Latex Hybrid and the Plushbeds Luxury Bliss use pocketed springs that are encased in fabric – that is how pocketed springs are constructed. The encasement described is the material surrounding each individual spring, and the spring units for both mattresses are made by Leggett and Platt and bot are fabric-encased.

The Plushbeds Luxury Bliss uses good quality materials. The 3” of latex on top of the spring unit is 100% natural Dunlop. In the “medium” version, the latex is 24-26 ILD, in the “medium firm” it is 29-31 ILD. The organic cotton cover is 1” thick, quilted to Joma wool. They offer a 100 night sleep trial, with a free return/refund if you don’t like the product within that 100 days.

You can see some of my overall comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here . A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They generally use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses and they would certainly be a much "better than average" choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. However, they do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention with large “discounts”, and there have been comments of some of their sales people being a little too “aggressive” for some people, so I would make some careful "value comparisons" with some of the other options that are available to you.

The Luma Sleep Latex Hybrid Slumber System also uses very high quality materials. Their design is a bit different, using an interchangeable comfort layer topper on top of the base Luma mattress. The base Luma mattress uses a pocketed spring unit, above which is 1.5 of blended Talalay latex. The exchangeable upper layer can be had in 3” of plush, medium firm or firm levels of plushness. The covering used is a flexible natural tencel fabric. They offer free returns within one year of the purchase, with an exchange of the upper comfort layer for free within the first year. Luma Sleep is a member here of the forum, which means that I think highly of them and their products.

Both mattresses you are considering use good quality materials, and while they are using different types of latex and coverings, you’re choosing between “good” and “good”.

If you have any other questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read this post first.

13 Mar 2017 16:55 #3 by jvanwho

Hi anniesearch,

I just placed an order for the Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System today. The PlushBeds Luxury Bliss was one of the other finalists on my list, along with the Natural Therapy IV by Sleep Therapy and the Ultimate Hybrid from Arizona Mattress Co.

I chose the Luma because I liked the peace of mind I got from knowing I could return or swap comfort layers free for a year. Also, I liked the fact that if I want to substitute a different firmness 3" comfort layer in the future, I'm not stuck with the 3" layer sewn into the mattress cover.

On top of that, the Luma option was less expensive than the PlushBeds option after the Mattress Underground 10% discount.

I wound up choosing the Luma over the Ultimate Hybrid from Arizona Premium Mattress because the Luma was only about $300 more than the Ultimate Hybrid and the customer does not have to pay shipping for returns/exchanges with Luma. The price difference would be even smaller if you're not from a state where Luma has to charge sales tax like I am (California).

Good luck with your choice, it's not easy! I'll have more info to share once my new Luma system is delivered.

20 Mar 2017 23:07 #4 by johnnyjuice99

Hi Jvanwho,

I'm curious as to how you like your Luma sleep mattress. I am currently looking at innerspring latex mattresses and liked their return policy. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet...

John

21 Mar 2017 09:57 - 21 Mar 2017 10:22 #5 by jvanwho

Hi John,

The mattress actually hasn't shipped yet :/ I placed my order in the late afternoon Eastern time last Monday 3/13/17, so yesterday 3/20 was technically the fifth business day. The Luma website says orders typically ship 3-4 business days after the order is placed. I'm really hoping to see the shipping notice today. Luckily the mattress should arrive quickly since they're manufactured in Southern California and it won't have to travel far. I think I'll send an email to see if there are any updates :). I'll keep y'all posted!

UPDATE:
I got a super fast reply to my email to Luma customer service! My mattress will be shipping out today and I should receive it either tomorrow Weds 3/22 or Thurs 3/23 :D CAN'T WAIT

Last Edit: 21 Mar 2017 10:22 by jvanwho. Reason: Additional info

02 Apr 2017 09:55 #6 by ztarnold

Hi,

Have you received your mattress yet? I am considering getting this same mattress, and I was wondering what your initial impressions are.

03 Apr 2017 08:58 #7 by jvanwho

Yes, I got the mattress the day after my last post, so it'll be two weeks on Wednesday. We're very happy with it so far! It shipped on a Tuesday and we received it the next day since we live fairly close to the factory. The set up was really quick and easy, we slept on it that same night.

We went with a talalay latex and spring mattress since my husband is a big guy - 6' 8" and over 270 lbs. He has regular back pain so I wanted to make sure the mattress would be supportive and stand up to his size without breaking down too quickly. I'm average height and weight for a woman. We both prefer a medium feel on a mattress, and would rather have the mattress be slightly too firm than slightly too soft. The medium firm from Luma was the right balance for us.

If you're concerned about motion transfer, you might consider the all-latex option from Luma because there is some transfer with the pocketed spring version. That's not a concern for us though, and we appreciate the responsiveness of the mattress for both sleeping and amorous activities.

Only time will tell but this has been a great choice for us so far. My husband woke up with no back pain after one night on the mattress, which is amazing because he went to bed hurting that day.

So a big thumbs up from us so far! Let me know if you have any questions that I didn't cover here. Also, if you're in one of the states where Luma collects sales tax, be sure the tax rate is correct for your location. The rate was slightly too high when I went to check out, so I called and they updated the ordering form within minutes.

Side note, I really love the latex pillows that were included with our order. They're soft and have a lovely floaty feeling.

J

03 Apr 2017 11:12 #8 by Phoenix

Hi jvanwho,

Thank you for replying to ztarnold and providing an update on your new Luma mattress. I'm glad that you're both enjoying your new mattress and I'm looking forward to future updates after you've had a chance to experience your mattress for a while longer.

Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read this post first.

03 Apr 2017 13:07 #9 by ztarnold

Thank you for your help. I decided i'll try out the Plush+, which is ILD 24. Im so excited.

I appreciate your response, it helped me confidently choose a luma mattress.

03 Apr 2017 15:52 #10 by Phoenix

Hi ztarnold,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

Did you purchase one of the hybrid models? I’m curious if you spoke with Luma Sleep before placing your order, as the normal plush is a 19 ILD and I can’t see where the option for a Plush+ 24 ILD is listed on their web site.

I’m looking forward to your comments on your new mattress once you’ve received it and have had a chance to use it for a while.

Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read this post first.