mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

normal Swiss Dream Bed

17 Mar 2017 13:13 #1 by lauraj

I just got a new bed that I haven't seen mentioned on this site so I thought I would provide some information for anyone who may be interested. It is called the Swiss Dream Bed and can be ordered from Canada. www.swissdreambeds.com/ . It is a complete sleeping system that comes with a handmade aspen bed frame, an aspen slat system, a thin 2 sided latex mattress and a wool topper.

I have only had the bed for 1 week and I am still undecided about it. I was previously sleeping on a thicker latex mattress which was much softer so this is taking some getting used to for me. I do not find it to be uncomfortable, but I did not immediately find it to be comfortable either. The more I sleep on it, the more I like it, but I am having some hip pain from sleeping on my side.

My husband loves the bed and has slept well on it from the first night. He has back pain that has stopped since we got the bed and he also had been having foot pain which has gone away. so as far as he is concerned, the bed is a winner. I am waiting to make any judgements until I have slept on the bed for another week or so.

The company is family run and very small, and the owner Hendrik is very helpful and knowledgable. He was also willing to allow us to determine our own trial period which was nice.

17 Mar 2017 18:44 - 18 Mar 2017 10:42 #2 by Phoenix

Hi lauraj,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I just got a new bed that I haven't seen mentioned on this site so I thought I would provide some information for anyone who may be interested. It is called the Swiss Dream Bed.

While the site rules don’t normally allow linking to web sites of non-site members, you’re bringing up a new product, which I appreciate, so it is something a person may be curious about.

The Swiss Dream Beds uses a flexible slat system (called Tri-Slat) supported on the ends of each slat by a piece of Talalay latex wrapped in cotton. This creates an “active” slat foundation that works together with the mattress.

You can see some thoughts about flexible slat systems in general post #2 here and the posts it links to. Because a flexible slat system is an "active" part of a sleeping system (just like any other layer or component either in, under, or over a mattress that flexes or compresses when you sleep on it), the only reliable way to know whether a flexible slat system in combination with a flexible slat system would be an improvement or not in terms of PPP compared to a non flexing support system under the same mattress would be based on your own actual experience when you test them in a store or sleep on them in person and compare both types of support systems under the same mattress. Again, for some people the effect could be neutral, for some people it could be an improvement, and for some it could be detrimental.

On top of the slat network is 100% Natural Talalay latex. The latex is covered by a zippered cotton encasement. There are three layers laminated together – firm, medium and plush. You can flip the mattress over for a different feel. The layers appear to be 2” each [EDIT: Per lauraj, the total mattress is 4" thick, which I believe would then result in 1" of plush Talalay on the top, 2" of the medium Talalay in the center, and 1" of the firm Talalay on the bottom]. I believe the latex is from Radium. They list the latex as organic, but to be clear there is no GOLS certified Talalay latex. On top of this is placed a quilted topper with wool and covered in cotton. The system uses good quality materials. There is no pricing listed on their web site.

The more I sleep on it, the more I like it, but I am having some hip pain from sleeping on my side. I am waiting to make any judgements until I have slept on the bed for another week or so.

Have you tried the soft side or the firm side? Did you purchase the complete system with the foundation? How long have you had the mattress?

How long of a trial period did you pick? Can you tell us how much you paid for the system?

Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017 10:42 by Phoenix.

18 Mar 2017 06:01 #3 by lauraj

Hi Phoenix,

Sorry about the link. I didn't read the rules before posting,

I find it a little difficult to find information on their site, but it says somewhere that their latex is from Vita Talalay. The mattress is only 4" thick and the slat foundation is another 4" with the latex strips. We have the complete system which is really the only way it is sold. We got a king size and there are two separate slat systems, and two separate mattresses with one wool topper. We have only had the bed for one week and are both sleeping on the soft side which I would describe as a medium firmness.

The cost of the bed includes taxes and shipping so it will be different depending on where you live, but we paid $2,650 for a king size bed in the natural finish. They also recommend that you don't use a headboard for some reason but the frame can be placed inside another bed but I'm not quite sure how.

18 Mar 2017 11:51 #4 by Phoenix

Hi lauraj,

Thank you for the detailed feedback!

Sorry about the link. I didn't read the rules before posting,

No worries! You’re bringing attention to an item that hasn’t been previously mentioned on the forum, so I appreciate you doing so.

Yes, I did find that page as well (you are correct that it is a bit difficult navigating the site), and Vita Talalay is from Radium Foam.

Thank you for the update – I’ve corrected my reply to your earlier post. From the dimensions you’ve provided and the video on their web site, this seems to be a 1”soft, 2” medium and 1” firm combination. With such a thin mattress, some sort of an “active” support system is usually used (like they offer).

Having had the mattress for such a short period of time, you’ll still want to give yourself a bit more time to adjust and see if you truly like this system or wish to take advantage of their return policy. How long did you select for your comfort exchange period?

Thanks for the update on the pricing. I’m assuming the platform decks are made to such a dimension that they mimic a twin XL foundation, so that on a typical bed set you could remove all of the cross slats and have these beds sit within the perimeter of an existing bed set, much like you would with placing adjustable bed bases within the perimeter of an existing bed set.

I’ll look forward to learning about your progress and ultimate decision.

24 Jun 2017 12:21 #5 by reddawn

I'm wondering if Laura ended up liking this bed? I'm thinking of buying it too. Just put a down payment on a tempur cloud supreme mattress, but having everything natural appeals to me. I'm both a side and back sleeper with 2 herniated discs and spinal stenosis.

24 Jun 2017 14:38 #6 by Phoenix

Hi reddawn,

Welcome to the forum! :)

lauraj hasn't posted back with her feedback about her mattress, but maybe she will see your post and respond.

As my "standard disclaimer", just remember to keep in mind that someone else's experience with a mattress regarding comfort or results, especially applied to someone with particular health issues (I'm sorry to hear about your herniated discs and stenosis :( ) shouldn't be taken as a reliable indicator of appropriateness for any other person, as only your own personal testing will be able to make that determination.

27 Aug 2018 09:15 #7 by Lindsay

Just googling info for a friend and came across this and figured I would reply - I have two of these beds that we bought in Nov / Dec 2017, one queen ($2150 ish) and a loft bed they offered to custom build when I was asking questions about what kind of frame I needed for it ($1600 ish) and I just had to send measurements we wanted. We have them set up like a bunk bed set with the loft on top but can separate them if needed, very handy! I really like them and use the soft side with the wool topper. They are slightly softer than our dunlop latex mattress but still firm; my arms don't fall asleep when I'm sleeping on it like they do on our other latex mattress and my husband still likes the firmness - he also has a bad back and sleeps on it most nights with my son. The bonus things I love about this bed system besides the amazing customer service and that they are made in New Brunswick not far from where we live, are that there are no screws or bolts at all just peg and hole construction so it's so easy to take apart and move to a different room with even just one person, it comes apart into pieces. We are currently contemplating purchasing another bed. They seem quite affordable compared to other mattresses we looked at. They are also somewhat lower than many beds which is great for our kids so they can climb up without a stool... and have less far to fall off (except the loft bed!)

The one thing that is a bit annoying is that my twin XL sheets seem a bit short for the mattress and the other thing that bothered me a bit is that when the mattresses came out of the vacuum packed plastic they had a smell I didn't like (I'm extremely scent sensitive) but it dissipated within a few hours or at most a day with no odour since. Still kind of wonder what that was about however and may email to ask before considering another bed.

27 Aug 2018 17:54 - 27 Aug 2018 17:55 #8 by Phoenix

Hi Lindsay

Thank you for sharing your experience with Swiss Dream Bed. I appreciate you taking the time at almost one year after the initial purchase to provide some feedback about the product and about the service of the company. I am happy that they went above and beyond accommodating your needs and that you and the "kids" are happy with the product.

... the other thing that bothered me a bit is that when the mattresses came out of the vacuum packed plastic they had a smell I didn't like (I'm extremely scent sensitive) but it dissipated within a few hours or at most a day with no odor since. Still kind of wonder what that was about however and may email to ask before considering another bed.

in general, latex is one of the safest and healthiest foams used in mattresses. As you noticed the smell usually dissipates quite rapidly (hours or at the most a few weeks) below the sensitivity threshold of most people. There is more about the smell of latex in post #2 here but generally, as you’ve already experienced ...depending on the latex batch or how acute your sense of smell is and on how sensitive you are to any particular smell, the odor level falls below what people will notice after a few days to a few weeks. There can also be some differences between different batches of Talalay. There is also more about the odor of new materials in post #3 here that may be helpful.

Last Edit: 27 Aug 2018 17:55 by Phoenix.

08 Oct 2018 17:12 #9 by HowieNB

Hi reddawn,
Laura ended up leaving a review on the Swiss Dream Bed Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pg/SwissDreamBeds/reviews/?ref=page_internal

10 Oct 2018 20:49 #10 by Phoenix

Hi HowieNB.

Thanks for pointing out LauraJ’s experience with Swiss Dream. I recently had a great conversation with Hendrick (SD’s owner) and learned more about the company and their products. They use quality of materials and put a great deal of thought they put in their products. Their Balancer - Das Original bed is an offshoot from Huesler Nest’s designs (their parent company)