mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Wool or down comforters?

04 Apr 2017 11:24 #1 by Ari
Wool or down comforters? was created by Ari
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced quality wool or down comforter that has held up well? Tired of these alternative material comforters that don't last.
I need something hypoallergenic that sleeps cool because it's going on a memory foam bed that can sleep hot
Thanks.

04 Apr 2017 12:36 - 11 Nov 2018 21:22 #2 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Ari,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :)

While it's not my area of specialty, and comforters would also be a matter of personal preference and of course the conditions in your bedroom, there is some good information about comforters (including wool) in this topic and this topic and this topic and in post #24 and onwards here and this topic that may be helpful.

This article and this article also have some very useful comparisons and information as well.

Post #3 here , while it is more about toppers, has some excellent sources for wool products.

For hot sleepers I would suggest either wool or silk with a lighter fill and less loft.

Last edit: 11 Nov 2018 21:22 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

04 Apr 2017 13:00 #3 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic Wool or down comforters?
Thank you ! I think wool is the best choice for me, they are just so expensive and all of them seem to be final sale as soon as you open the package. If anyone can recommend a medium weight wool comforter I'd appreciate it.

05 Apr 2017 09:56 #4 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Ari:

I did a quick look through the extensive list I provided you and I found many wool comforters in the $200-$400 range. I'm not sure what size bed you have or what you consider "too expensive", but lower priced items will tend to be mostly synthetics with a little wool blended in, which i know is what you are trying to avoid.

05 Apr 2017 10:05 - 05 Apr 2017 11:15 #5 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic Wool or down comforters?
I want the holy lamb organic for 410 for a queen but I can't afford it lol so I'm thinking sleep & beyond merino wool comforter . Stop me if sleep & beyond is a bad brand choice . It's not cheap but it is not 3 or 400 either. While organic it is not made in the USA ! It seems any organic wool made in the USA is very expensive.
Thank you!
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 11:15 by Ari.

05 Apr 2017 12:56 - 11 Nov 2018 21:29 #6 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Ari,

If you read through my earlier reply, you’ll see that Sleep & Beyond was listed in post #3 :

sleepandbeyond.com/ Manufacturer that makes a mattress pad/topper produced in the Kyrgyz republic in central Asia using locally raised Merino wool and quilted in an organic cotton jacquard. They sell their products direct but their retailers generally have a better price than is listed on their website (a fairly common practice for manufacturers who also sell through retail outlets). Good quality and value although they only make one model. They use 8 lbs of wool (queen size). NOTE: they have now added some new products that use Shropshire wool ... see post #20 here .

I don’t have any personal experience with Sleep & Beyond, so you’d want to phone them to get complete information about this topper. They list that their products are third party certified, but they don’t list the actual certifications for this particular item. This is listed at $319 on their site for a full/queen at 15 oz./yd2. I’m unaware of any blend that may or may not be in their product.

While there are suppliers of GOTS certified wool in the USA, I would also keep in mind that some of the non organic wool that you will find (such as Eco-Wool ) is also a very high quality material so you may not wish to exclude it.

Last edit: 11 Nov 2018 21:29 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

05 Apr 2017 13:05 #7 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic Wool or down comforters?
I did read through your post and saw the info regarding sleep & beyond
I appreciate your comment about eco-wool as I was unsure if that was something I should consider
Thanks for all your help

05 Apr 2017 15:21 #8 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Ari,

You're most welcome!

05 Apr 2017 16:46 - 05 Apr 2017 17:02 #9 by Manimal
Replied by Manimal on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Ari,

In my opinion, you should go with Holy Lamb... "organic" certification is very complicated when it comes to wool and Eco-Wool is every bit as high quality... I don't feel there's any wool that's "higher quality" and more naturally processed than that sourced by Holy Lamb, although I'm sure there are comparable sources.

Perhaps more notable, many would argue that it's even more important the wool is sourced in the U.S.- I've been told the containers used to ship imported wool have to be fumigated and residual chemicals can settle into the wool fibers, so this could be a consideration even if the wool itself is organic. By the same token, proponents of natural/organic wool sourced domestically often do not advocate wool treatments to make it "washable", regardless of how "safe" the processing is advertised to be by the companies selling those products. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about saving a little money and using a washable wool comforter instead of all natural/untreated but at the same time, I'd rather spend a little bit more money on all-natural/organic. It may also be worth noting the Holy Lamb comforters can be washed... it's just not going to be as easy as a comforter with treated wool.

This brings us to my last point- you may want to consider the Holy Lamb "Cool Comfort" weight instead of the "Perfect Comfort"... this along with everything else I've written above is from personal experience. I've been sleeping with the Holy Lamb PC for the past couple years and it's pretty heavy/substantial... the weight will be comparable to the S&B organic and the S&B may be even heavier. I'd expect the Holy Lamb CC to be comparable if not slightly heavier than the S&B washable comforter with each having approximately 3.3 lbs of wool fill (9 oz/yr2 for the S&B which translates to ~3.2 lbs for an 86" x 86" size, which both are). Being a warm sleeping/warm-blooded type, I recently decided to get the Holy Lamb CC... especially encased in a duvet cover which will add even a little more weight/warmth, it should be more than substantial for cold temperatures (I'm in the northeast so have "real" winter) but light enough for warmer weather.

All that said, it's not my intent to shamelessly promote Holy Lamb... if you don't care as much about the natural/processing "factors", the S&B washable comforter is offered at a great price for the full/queen on the Good Night Naturals site (you would probably want the "light" fill weight of 9 oz/yr2 per above). However, if you'd rather go the natural route, I'd suggest calling Holy Lamb directly and see if they have any promotions and/or will offer a discount (on top of the CC already being less expensive than the PC).

Hope this helps!
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 17:02 by Manimal. Reason: add info

05 Apr 2017 16:57 #10 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic Wool or down comforters?
Hi Manimal
Thank you for the information! It's funny I keep going back to the holy lamb page.

I'm in NYC so maybe our climates are similar.

I was unsure what weight to go with so thank you for your insight! I have a brand new organic cotton duvet ready and waiting lol

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website