Did I get the mattress I ordered? 28 Apr 2017 14:35 #1

Hi Phoenix. I purchased a mattress & boxsprings a couple of days ago and it doesn't feel like the mattress I tested in the store???? How can I tell cause it feels a lot softer than the one in the store also I ordered low profile but the replacement box springs is only 4 1/2 " as the mattress is 12". What kind of support is that? Aren't the mattress and box springs suppose to be the same size ? Thanks
Drt123 Louisville, KY.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 28 Apr 2017 16:58 #2

Hi Drt123,

Newer mattresses tend to be a bit firmer than the floor models you would test, as the new mattress wouldn’t have had any use and would still retain some of its “false firmness”. It is difficult to remember what a mattress felt like in a showroom and then compare that to what is at home because of the time lapse, and the only reliable way to compare one model to another would be side to side. However, there are a few things I can recommend.

Check the law tag on your mattress and make sure that the model name and ID number match what you ordered at the store. Honest mistakes can happen and some models are made in different comfort designations and can look similar to each other, and it is possible that you were delivered the incorrect mattress by mistake.

Your top of bed product will change the feel of the mattress, which you wouldn’t have had in the showroom. You mentioned your old mattress had a topper, so I don’t know if you are using one on your new mattress. Also, mattress pads are often quilted and these will impact the comfort of a product.

The clothes you’re wearing will also change the feel of the product. In a showroom you’re wearing street clothes, which will tend to make a mattress feel a bit firmer than when wearing pajamas.

Check your bed frame and make sure that there is a proper center support. If you don’t have this, the mattress will feel softer in the center as it will be allowed to flex a bit.

There will also be a bit of variation in the ILDs (softness) of foams from batch to batch, so a bit of variation can be expected, but over time if it is indeed the correct mattress it should “even out”.

No, mattresses and foundations (most modern mattresses haven’t used actual coil box springs for decades) are not supposed to be the same size. The “normal” profile foundations are usually about 9” in thickness, and low profile foundations are usually about 4”-5”, so you were correctly delivered what you ordered (Low Profile) in that case.

For your mattress, I would start with reviewing the information on the law tag with your retailer and move forward from there.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 07 May 2017 17:21 #3

Did you receive my reply? I got an error messege and now the latest messege is gone !

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 08 May 2017 09:16 #4

Hi Drt123,

I'm sorry if one of your posts was deleted. All that I am aware of is what is showing in this thread.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 08 May 2017 10:48 #5

Well I checked the black ticket on it which says "HYBRID SIGNATURE RESTONIC BALDWIN"
hand crafted by: .... no signature. It has no other numbers on it. The long white ticket is not there. Maybe the delivery guys removed it ??? The bottom line is that it feels as if it's cheap and already breaking down after 18 days. It's almost embarrassing. How do I go about getting my $ back when he said no returns UNLESS I trade up!!!!! I can't afford to give this guy any more $ and need a quality bed! How can I simply return it and purchase another one from another store ? I need a FIRM bed for my disability and need some talking points if he refuses to accept the return? I'm sick over this whole thing.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 08 May 2017 13:05 #6

Hi Drt123,

hand crafted by: .... no signature. It has no other numbers on it.

Your mattress should have been delivered with the “law tag” that would have contained the information listed here . A US law tag will look something like this and is required to say that the mattress includes all new materials and the type and amount of materials inside expressed as a percentage of weight along with the other information listed including the date of manufacture. Information showing that the mattress has passed the fire regulations is also required and is often included in the same tag. You can see some more of the type of information that is normally on a law tag in some of the images here .
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: americanlawlabel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Anatomy-of-Law-Label.pdf

There normally would have been some more information on the law tag with the actual item number (used by the licensee making the mattress) and that would be the number you’d want to compare to the floor model you tested in the showroom to make sure that you have the same model that you tested.

The long white ticket is not there. Maybe the delivery guys removed it ???

It is possible that it was accidentally removed during delivery of your mattress, but you would want that attached, as many mattress manufacturers require the law tag to be affixed to the mattress in order to process any potential warranty claims, so you would want to address that also with your retailer.

While the quality of the foams (“cheap”) isn’t something that normally can be felt, and even inexpensive foams wouldn’t be “breaking down” in 18 days (although they may be settling), I do understand your concerns that this mattress isn’t representative of what you tried out in the showroom.

I can’t speak to the policies of any particular business on exchanges/returns, but the first thing I would do is to take photos of any of the tags you can find sewn into the mattress and foundation (usually at the head of the mattress or foundation) and then visit your retailer and see how that information compares to the floor model you tested (you can look at the law label on the floor model and take a photo of that and then compare). The information between the two should be consistent. If it isn’t, you can ask for a replacement model. If the information aligns but you still feel that the mattress is very inconsistent with what you tested, you can always ask for an inspection from the store to see if they can shed any light upon your concerns.

That would be my best advice on how to begin to proceed. Retailers will generally want to do their best to make you happy and deliver the exact product you desire.

Last edit: by Administrator. Reason: Removed Page Not Found Link (404 Error)

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 08 May 2017 15:55 #7

DeaR Phoenix
The low profile box springs had a law tag on it but the mattress does not. Is that grounds for a replacement?
You are so knowledgeable it's absolutely refreshing. Thank you so much for your help and I'll follow all your advice.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 08 May 2017 17:20 #8

Hi Drt123,

I would take a visit to your local showroom and politely speak with someone about your situation and request that they have someone come out to see if they can locate the law tag on your mattress (sometimes they can be difficult to find). If your mattress was delivered without one, I would request a replacement with the appropriate law tag, for at the very least, your own protection in the unlikely event that you'd need to file a warranty claim.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 09 May 2017 05:55 #9

Thanks so much. You have been a huge help

Did I get the mattress I ordered? 09 May 2017 10:16 #10

Hi DRT123,

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Good luck in resolving things.

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.