mattressunderground logo
× Welcome! Any mattress questions are welcome here ... but make sure you've read the mattress shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page :).

normal Heavy weight - Tempurpedic Could Supreme Breeze alternatives

11 Oct 2017 23:48 - 11 Oct 2017 23:49 #1 by fishv12

Good morning,

I came close to purchasing a 3500$ Dormeo 8700 and actually put an order together before I read this forum and then walked in Sleep Country and cancelled my order. Suddenly I could get the mattress for 900$ less go figure. What a ripoff! Either way I canceled my order. The other mattress that felt very comfortable to me was the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze so I am looking for similar options. I then looked at the Novosbed which according to my research is well built although being at 320lbs right now with chronic pain due to a whiplash injury I would like my mattress to last and be comfortable for many years to come and the polyfoam core is a weak link in that situation. There is a few more options but would like help in my selection. I am looking for something similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze in firmness and would like something that will fair well with my weight. I am from Ottawa Canada so I am not sure what online companies with similar return policies as Novosbed are available to me or what are my best local options. Any help is appreciated.

Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017 23:49 by fishv12.

12 Oct 2017 13:40 #2 by Phoenix

Hi fishv12,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I’m sorry about your bad mattress shopping experience. It is off-putting to find out that some retailers will dramatically lower the price if you threaten to walk out the door, but will be perfectly happy to charge you a much higher price if you are more “agreeable” during your shopping experience.

For those of a higher BMI, post #3 here has more information and suggestions about higher BMIs that is worth reading.

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a "lower quality/density" material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of "about an inch or so or less" in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

For help in making comparisons, the Tempurpedic Tempur-Cloud Supreme Breeze 2.0 (these are USA specs) contains:
2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1LB
2" TEMPUR-Climate Material 5.3LB
4.0" Airflow Base Layer 2.2LB
3.5" Airflow Base Layer 2.2LB

You can perform a forum search on Ottawa here (just click on the link) to see if any businesses have been discussed close to your home. Unfortunately, it’s beyond my capacity to maintain a listing of the offerings for the various stores in geographic regions in an ever-changing market, so I wouldn’t have an idea of what stores near your home might offer memory foam products.

Besides Novosbed , which you already mentioned, you may wish to investigate another site member here, Memory Foam Comfort . They are located in Quebec, but ship all over Canada and they offer a component-style memory foam mattress where you can attempt to “approximate” the Cloud Supreme Breeze. Also, site member Dormio is located in Ontario, but they specialize in organic latex mattresses, not memory foam. I think highly of three of these site members.

While it is a bit of an older list, here is some online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here .

If you investigate other products and have questions about them, I’ll do my best to answer those questions for you.

Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read this post first.

12 Oct 2017 22:24 #3 by fishv12

Thank you for your quick reply Phoenix you were the person I was hoping to get answers from. I would consider other options such as latex as from what I can read it is a better longer lasting material. But I have no idea what one feels like and like the sinking feeling and pressure relief that a memory foam seems to offer. I have read that latex has a more bouncy feeling which is somewhat of an in between memory foam and a spring mattress feeling although offers pressure point relief such as the memory foam. I wonder where I may be able to try one just to get a feel for it. I am not partial to the Tempurpedic mattress I was just trying to set a reference point as to how it would feel. I guess medium firm is what I am looking for. If I was to consider latex what should I be looking for?

All things considered I was wondering if you knew any models off hand that you would recommend for my situation? The list is long not that I am asking for you to do my homework I just thought maybe you came across one or two that you might remember.

I looked at Memory Foam Comfort and the Cumulus seems like a good option for me actually considering it's build has nothing under 5.0lb per cubic foot for memory foam and 2.0lbs per cubic foot for the poly foam. Although it has only three actual layers does that make any difference or is more layers a better thing for comfort? Their other model the Presto has a 4.0lb per cubic foot layer of memory foam so that wouldn't work.

There is a retailer called Matelas Lapensee which builds their own mattresses here locally which I wonder if you have any opinions about. I might explore as well using your guidelines.

13 Oct 2017 13:55 - 13 Oct 2017 13:56 #4 by Phoenix

Hi fishv12,

You’re very welcome.

Latex is more resilient (bouncy) than memory foam – you are correct. It has a feel that some people describe as buoyant, versus the more “dead” feel of memory foam. Both materials are very point elastic and contouring.

If I was to consider latex what should I be looking for?

I would find a local retailer offering all-latex products and lie down and simply try a few out. All latex you’re likely to encounter will be a good quality and durable material, so it would come down to the overall softness of any latex mattress you might be considering.

Ahh…I think you’re asking me to do a little of your homework for you ;) . While I can certainly help with "how" to choose ... It's not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first "rule" of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best "match" for you in terms of "comfort", firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will "feel" to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or "theory at a distance" that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here ).

I would phone them with your situation, as they can sometimes come up with options that are a bit different from what is displayed on their web site. They certainly would have materials that could suit your needs, should you desire the type of memory foam products they offer.

I only know that they have been making mattresses for over 100 years and they do tend to be informative about the materials they use, so hopefully it would be an educational visit should you go to their store.

Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read this post first.
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2017 13:56 by Phoenix.