mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Sleeping Hot looking for temporary solutions

20 Mar 2019 13:01 #1 by peppyaf
Hey,

I wanted to ask a question but I couldn't post a new topic in the general forum, then I couldn't find a closely related topic so I decided to do it here. Not sure if I am breaking any rules. Please move my question if necessary.

Basically I am looking for a cost-effective way to deal with memory foam mattress that sleeps hot. I have a cheap Zinus 12" 3 layer "gel" memory foam mattress. It is comfortable and has held up fine for the last 1.5 years. I don't want to buy a new one yet as I will be moving at the end of the year/early next year so I will buy a new King mattress for the new place.

In the meantime, I am looking for a way to make things for comfortable temperature-wise. I already use a fan and windows. I use cotton bedding and a light comforter. I also sleep half naked.

I was looking at mattress toppers. Read about latex and wool. Latex seems to be good for temperature if it is Talalay only which I can't find for a decent price. Wool is slightly cheaper but still not many options. Dunlop seems to be same price as wool. I am in Canada (Toronto.) I am going to order this. www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N1XPPXI/ref=...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts for my situation and the product I picked out? Is there something else I should buy instead? Thanks,

22 Mar 2019 21:43 - 22 Mar 2019 21:47 #2 by Phoenix
Hi peppyaf.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :)

We have moved your post to its own topic and renamed it “sleeping hot ...” to better describe your issue,

Sorry to hear that you are sleeping hot in your 1.5 years old Zinus mattress, but you are certainly on the right track with looking to place a component to help you get some distance between you and the less breathable memory foam underneath. This would be is a good temporary band-aid, until you move on to a more appropriate product. The temperature sleeping microclimate is a complex issue as it depends on so many interrelated variables... but you are correct that generally adding a wool topper will have a more significant effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than the other less breathable materials, layers, and components in your mattress.

Regarding the Amazon product link, you provided,.. the 1” wool reversible pad manufactured is in China for Down Feather Healthy Bedding and looks interesting, but as with many new Amazon products, there is just not enough history, or details of who makes it ... to have enough confidence. On Amazon, the product is displayed with an “Oeko-Tex” logo but again there is no other more specific info that a more transparent company would make it readily available such as i.e., date tested, certification number, manufacturer, etc. This is not implying that this particular product doesn't have the certification but I’d make sure to check out that it has very clear certificates stating product and manufacturer, etc etc. This one of the reasons why TMU is so selective with our membership and why we point out to products from companies that we have a high level of confidence and knowledge. I’d recommend that you reach out to some of our Canadian trusted members especially MFC , one of our expert members with many years of experience in memory foam products and ways to mitigate temperature regulation issues.

While it's not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress). You have already made many adjustments in your sleep system to mitigate the issue, which quite frankly may have more effect on heat than any bedding or mattress product you find online. There simply is not any real credible data. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. You may also wish to read more about the Sleeping Microclimate and Temperature Control in post #6 here that talks about all the many factors that are involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress.

I would be interested to hear back from you to learn what you decided and I or any other Expert Member of the site would be glad assist you with any other questions that you may have.

Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 21:47 by Phoenix.

24 Mar 2019 15:10 #3 by peppyaf
Thanks for the detailed response.

I ended up buying that product. Honestly, it was the only affordable wool topper I could find that was at least 1".

I can say that it does make a noticeable difference in terms of temperature. It also firmed up the mattress a bit, which I like.

I am also using a memory foam pillow (one-piece), so I decided to change that as well. Tried a buckwheat pillow and no-go.

Bought a talalay latex pillow today so hopefully that will help as well.

26 Mar 2019 15:40 #4 by Phoenix
Hi peppyaf,

You are welcome and thanks for the update. I’m am glad that you noticed a difference, it's completely subjective that is why we always tell each person....“you” are the only one that can decide on the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I am glad that you opted for a Talalay pillow. It should be cooler than the memory foam …. let us know if you see a difference.

28 Jan 2020 13:47 #5 by peppyaf
So almost a year later, I am looking for a permanent solution - a new bed.

I started shopping around but it is difficult with the amount of choices available. It is also hard to gauge how much you will like a mattress by just laying on it for a minute or so in a store.

I am trying to find a King-sized mattress, suitable for side sleeping, but the most important thing is that it should sleep cool. Budget is around $2000CAD but I can increase a bit if I have to.

I looked at latex:

- There are some questionable retailers online ( www.wayfair.ca/bed-bath/pdp/alwyn-home-1...8.html?piid=21401143 )

- some local guys who offered to custom make it (9Inch talalay for $2800)

- this 100% organic latex I saw locally ( www.nationalmattress.ca/product/galaxy-1...latex-firm-mattress/ )

- and the Mausund at ikea that seems affordable ($1400, 85% natural) but I haven't tried it yet

Do you have any insight on these?

What about the purple mattress (buckling column on top of foam)? How is that temperature regulation compared to latex?

I understand that coils will be the coolest but I would still need a comfort layer on top right? And memory foam is the most common comfort layer but it sleeps hot.

Any other materials or type of mattresses I should be looking at and researching?

31 Jan 2020 16:41 #6 by Sensei
Hey peppyaf,

Welcome back to the TMU Forum :) ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey :) ! Sounds like you have all of the basics covered in terms of your preferences and beginning research.

I looked at latex:

- There are some questionable retailers online (wayfair.ca)
- this 100% organic latex I saw locally (nationalmattress.ca)

For condensing and clarity, I've bundled your questions/ my responses regarding these online mattresses together. As Wayfair.com has many imported mattresses, it is impossible to comment on the myriad of resellers that come and go and on the comfort/ durability of their ever-changing products. The specs for the 10" medium latex mattress in the above link (includes 1" of poly foam, 3" of Talalay latex foam and a 5.5" high density base foam) seem fairly basic and Wayfair has a 100-night free sleep trial; that being said, you would want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Casa Loma mattress/ Galaxy Bedding option (includes 1" latex over a 6" zoned latex comfort layer, 2.5" zoned latex core support layer), is a compressed mattress offered by National Mattress Outlet Plus. Their comfort exchange guarantee of 90 nights, slightly shorter and involves a $95 exchange fee, as well as some other considerations worth noting, you would also want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Mausund/ Ikea mattress offered the least amount of details (includes natural/ synthetic latex comfort layer, with a wool wadding filling. Their site mentions a 365 day exchange policy, you will want to research that further as they also state that pick up for large item returns isn't available in all areas.

- some local guys who offered to custom make it (9 Inch talalay for $2800)

By "local guys", are you referring to a nearby mattress manufacturer/ retailer? Often these resources can be quite helpful with answering questions and offering guidance for custom built mattresses. Get some local feedback if possible on the quality of their material, workmanship and what exchange/ return policies/ warranties they offer on their custom products.

Purple is known for it's use of a Buckling column gel support layer, a newer dry-polymer material with a smooth, rubbery feel, set into either hexagonal or square "columns" designed in a unique support system, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- Buckling column gel here . While the "Purple grid" layer with its "open air channels" is directly below the SoftFlex cover, its temperature feel would also depend on the materials/ construction of the layers beneath. While I have no direct experience with Purple and will not speculate on what temperature regulating qualities it may have, many retailers are carrying it in their showrooms now, you would want to spend some time testing a floor model as only you can "feel" what you feel in terms of "sleeping cool".

What sleeps cooler between All Latex, Latex on top of coils (I haven't seen any like this), Latex on top of foam (tons like this)?...I understand that coils will be the coolest but I would still need a comfort layer on top right?

Latex foam is widely recognized as the most "breathable" and "sleeping cool" material in mattress components. Coils within the base of a mattress are a support mechanism and are not related to the "cooling" properties of the support/ comfort layers, that is determined by the type foams, fabrics and other materials used in the overall construction.

And memory foam is the most common comfort layer but it sleeps hot.

Memory foam is a very soft material, especially when heat and pressure is applied and it "melts" into a semi solid form. It does an excellent job of forming a cradle and relieving pressure and has become more popular as a comfort layer for this reason, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- memory foam- and latex here .

Sounds like a good query for our consumer subscribers, would be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject ;) .

Any new developments on your mattress research?

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

04 Feb 2020 14:54 #7 by peppyaf
Thanks for your responses.

I tried the Mausund at ikea and not sure if I like the latex feel. It was more bouncy and soft than I expected but it also felt "floppy" and finicky.

I have heard other reports of all latex heating up. And I have heard other experts say coil based with a light layer of memory foam on top stays cool.

Unfortunately no in store Purples in Canada to try.

I am pivoting my search to hybrid mattresses right now. Top of my list is Silk and Snow Hybrid. Reviews seems good with buyers sleeping cool. They also have a showroom near me and a 100+ night return policy if I happen to sleep hot.

I'm going to go from there... Thanks.

05 Feb 2020 05:55 #8 by BChaps
I just wanna say....

When I started looking for mattresses a few weeks ago, Latex really intrigued me when doing research online. Because of this, I wanted to be sure to try out a couple (along with various spring ones) to help make a decision.

The first place I went was Ikea. I wasn't planning to get a mattress there, but they're 10 min from my house, and I new they had a couple Latex mattresses.

The Latex mattresses at Ikea were TERRIBLE. they felt like they had an inch of super soft material, and then a cement block under that. Basically, I sat on it and instantly compressed the soft layer and was left feeling the firmest bed I've ever felt. And that's saying something being I've slept on a firm mattress my whole life.

Anyways...after going to a few places and trying stuff (Purple, Leesa, Casper, Serta, Simons, etc.) I went to the original mattress factory. They too had a latex mattress...and I gotta say, it was one of my favorites that I laid on.

The latex bed felt a lot like a standard foam mattress to me. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between it and the foam bed next to it. That said, due to the cooling capability and durability of Latex, I was pretty set on wanting a Latex mattress.

Don't discount Latex purely based on an IKEA experience
Like seriously....I hated the IKEA mattress and was about ready to discount latex entirely. I'm so glad that another local store had a Latex option for me to try....because it was night and day of a difference.

07 Feb 2020 13:58 #9 by Sensei
Hey BChaps,

When I started looking for mattresses a few weeks ago, Latex really intrigued me when doing research online. Because of this, I wanted to be sure to try out a couple (along with various spring ones) to help make a decision…The first place I went was Ikea. I wasn't planning to get a mattress there, but they're 10 min from my house, and I new they had a couple Latex mattresses…The Latex mattresses at Ikea were TERRIBLE. they felt like they had an inch of super soft material, and then a cement block under that. Basically, I sat on it and instantly compressed the soft layer and was left feeling the firmest bed I've ever felt.

I ended up going with a DIY option from Arizona Premium Mattress (hasn't arrived yet). But the moral of the story is....Don't discount Latex purely based on an IKEA experience

Congrats on your new mattress purchase, BChaps :cheer: ! Thanks for choosing trusted member Arizona Premium Mattress , feel strongly that each of these industry experts have the knowledge and experience to help their customers make informed buying decisions and are among the best choices in the industry. Thanks too @KenHightower for your excellent response and support of all TMU consumer subscribers. Looking forward to hearing more about your DIY project as everything comes together. BTW, how's the bed base construction coming along?

Cheers,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

10 Mar 2020 07:51 #10 by peppyaf
Ok so update.

Got a Silk & Snow Hybrid. Its construction is 1200 pocket coils (King), with 2inch of 3lb memory foam on top, with another 1inch of 1.8lb "cooling gel foam", whatever that means.

The bed is much better than my old memory foam mattress but still heats up. At first its fine but heats up overnight. Comfort wise it is great at first but as it heats up the memory foam sinks in too much making it uncomfortable. I do like the pocket coil feel though.

I am using it on the floor right now since I don't have my bed frame in yet. But I will wait for it to come in to try properly. But I don't think it will be the one for me and will probably go back.

Trying to assess my options now/

1) Purple. Everyone says it stays cool and has a 100 night guarantee. Unfortunately can't get the purple hybrid here so I am stuck with the foam base - I don't like the "dead feeling". It's also on the pricier side and require their sheets.

2) Get a custom made pocket coil + latex (2-3" of dunlop or talalay) or pocket coil + polyfoam (2-3" of regular polyfoam) mattress made locally. Not sure how much cooler polyfoam or latex will be against what I am sleeping on now, but I found a few local guys who can make a mattress to my specs for a decent price. Only con is no returns if it doesn't work out.

3) Get a mattress with no foam at all and all springs. Is this even a possibility anymore? I haven't seen any local stores have this. I used to have an old mattress like this and although it stayed cool, it's not the most comfortable.

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website