mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Split king/CA King, Latex Mattress, Adjustable Frame

05 Jun 2019 18:59 #1 by scrubs
Hi everyone,

I'm slightly computer illiterate so I don't know if this is the right place to post this question.

Looking for anyone who has experience with the berkeley ergonomics malmo as seen in the link below:
www.tmasc.ca/pocket-coil-mattresses/pock...-latex-mattress.html

The Malmo has a 2 inch talalay latex layer in either firm/medium, and 5-6 inches of honeycomb nested pocketcoils (1908 for the king size) to form an 8 inch mattress.

My body type is medium to wide shoulders with narrow hips, 6 ft 1", and around 300 pounds. I sleep on my stomach with my head under/over arm. My question is, is this mattress with its 8" of material enough to support me? I have laid on the mattress and it felt comfortable.

Thank you!

06 Jun 2019 12:27 - 06 Jun 2019 12:28 #2 by Phoenix
Hi scrubs,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thanks for the post, and you are not "computer illiterate" at all if you made it thus far. :). I moved the post to a new thread about Berkely Ergonomics mattresses.

Other consumers have asked and commented about the Malmo, so take a look at this link Berkeley Ergonomics Malmo vs Oslo where consumers comment about this particular model and about the company itself. If you have more questions after reviewing please don't hesitate to post again in your thread.

Thanks again for posting with TMU and I look forward to your future questions.

Last edit: 06 Jun 2019 12:28 by Phoenix. Reason: added link

06 Jun 2019 18:24 #3 by scrubs
Thanks Phoenix, appreciate the feedback.

We went back today to lie down on the Malmo and really let our bodies sink in that puppy.
After a while we felt that we would like a little more than 2" of latex in between our bodies and the coils. And the sides of the mattress were not as sturdy as others we have tried.
We have been in touch with Ken from mattresses.net, and hope that the shipping to Canada isn't too much money.
Thanks for all your help!

09 Jun 2019 10:24 #4 by Phoenix
Hi scrubs,

You are very welcome, and nice work going to test out the Malmo and spending the appropriate amount of time testing it out. It sounds like a very logical conclusion with wanting a bit more latex between your body and the coils. Many consumers feel the same way.

Please message us if you have any other questions, and let us know if you have any updates.

Good luck!

08 Jul 2019 10:29 #5 by Cheepomcgee
Is it me or do you suspect that the malmo is designed for low profile platform beds. 8” is very aesthetic minded

11 Jul 2019 09:08 #6 by Sensei
Hey Cheepomcgee,

I think it was still designed to go on both low and regular height profiles. I can see how it fits into the "style" you reference, but many people choose high profile bases when buying lesser height mattresses, so you really never know, it's so ......particular individual's style choice.

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

10 Aug 2019 16:43 - 10 Aug 2019 16:52 #7 by rp0475
I apologize for posting this here as it's not completely relative, but I can't find a way to create a new post. Even the instructions I found from Phoenix only mention to try replying to an active post ofa similar topic, so here goes.

I am so glad to have found this site! Thank you for the wealth of information you provide here. My husband and I are currently in the trial period of our Purple 3, and while he loves it, it's far too firm for me. As a lightweight side sleeper, I'm waking up tossing and turning because of the pressure on my hips, shoulders, and oddly enough, rib cage. We previously were sleeping on my old memory foam mattress and I loved the way it conformed to my body, but for my husband who is 60 pounds heavier than me, he experienced too much of an "I'm drowning in foam" feeling. We will be returning the Purple, and I'm now on the hunt for a new mattress. Because of how we each felt about the Purple and the old memory foam, a hybrid is sounding like the way to go. A soft comfort layer for me, a good support layer for him.

I originally started at the chain mattress stores looking at the big S-brands. Then I stumbled across this site, learned more about mattress quality and construction, and was lead to the one mattress store in my area that seemed to carry the right quality of mattresses: The Organic Bedroom in Raleigh.

I stopped by today and tested out two mattresses that seemed to fit the bill and be within our budget (there were lots of other options, but well above our budget):
1) Berkeley Ergonomics Highland
- 2" natural Talalay latex comfort layer
- Interactive pocketed coil base

2) Whitney Snow (Whitney is The Organic Bedroom's own brand)
- 3" natural Talalay latex comfort layer
- 4 zone pocketed spring core
- Hip zone is firmer than other zones. This does concern me because when mattresses are too firm, I have hip pain, but I can't tell from 20 minutes or so in the store whether this will be the case. Afterall, our Purple 3 felt like it cradled my hips fine when we tried it in store. Then again, will the firmer support layer on the hips be fine as long as I have that 3" comfort layer to cradle them? ( I realize you can't answer that for me - just thinking aloud here).

I can't find the Berkeley Highland anywhere but on The Organic Bedroom's own site, so haven't been able to read a lot about it, but here's the info: theorganicbedroom.com/products/the-highland/

As for the Whitney Snow, since Whitney is their house brand, again there's not a ton of info out there about it: theorganicbedroom.com/products/whitney-snow/

While I have learned a lot on this site, I only recently discovered it so please consider me to be fairly a newbie. Are there other questions I should ask the store about the above options? Also, what's your take based on the product info you see for these two? I plan to go back at least a couple more times to lay on them both again, but wanted a more knowledgeable person's opinion about the construction of each and what major differences may be. Unless others are in my area, there's probably little experience anyone can share about the Whitney. As for the Highland, I've read great things about Berkeley on here: I just have never seen any mention of that particular model and can't find it listed anywhere else online. The only other Berkeley model they had in store was the Fairmont Gold 7 (man that felt good!), but at $3300 for a king it's outside of our budget.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2019 16:52 by rp0475.

10 Aug 2019 17:02 #8 by jenninsb
I am new to TMU. I have a couple of questions. My hubby and I are looking to buy a natural or organic latex mattress and an split CA King or King adjustable bed. I have been on this site for the better part of two days and I have read lots of great advice, but still not quite sure what to buy.

Me: 53 years old, 5'5", 140 lbs, back & side sleeper
Him: 50 years old, 5'8" 175 lbs, stomach and side sleeper
Both of us are evenly proportioned or possibly narrower in the hips.

Looking at Cozy Pure 10", Sleeping Organic 10& 10", Foam Sweet Foam 13", SleepEZ 13", Zenhaven (Bliss) and Plushbeds.

I feel like I would like a thick mattress with 4 layers because it sounds luxurious. However, is this overkill? Can we get away with 2 or 3?

Any preference in how to layer each of our custom sides?
Based on info I found I am thinking...

me: Soft/medium/medium/firm (assuming 4 layers)
him: Medium/medium/firm/x-firm (assuming 4 layers)
or take out the 1st medium if 3 layers.

We want natural and/or organic 100% latex that if we don't like it we can easily return or swap out layers - no hassles.

For adjustable beds: I want a zero gravity button, wall-hugger, lumbar support that is ergonomically correct (bends at the proper place. I sometimes need to incline my knee (it swells up). I like to watch tv in bed. The tv is wall mounted high on the wall. Is the pillow tilt a must? I would like good quality components and read that a German Motor is the best. Any suggestions on brands?

jenninsb

14 Aug 2019 14:31 #9 by Sensei
Hey jenninsb,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post. Great questions and I think you are on the right track for a very nice mattress.

Any preference in how to layer each of our custom sides?
Based on info I found I am thinking...

me: Soft/medium/medium/firm (assuming 4 layers)
him: Medium/medium/firm/x-firm (assuming 4 layers)
or take out the 1st medium if 3 layers.

Have you had a chance to lie down on any latex mattresses recently? Regarding the number of layers, it really depends on a lot of different things. It really is about the number of inches. Some manufacturers may use 6" firm as the base mattress then use 3" med, and 2" soft and this three-layer is really nice for them. Another option is to try one of the companies you discussed and use 9inches (3 3" layers) and then decide if you want to add a 2 or 3" topper on top of the mattress.

Most importantly I see that you are getting help from Sleep EZ, which is really the main thing I would have told you to do. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website