mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

New Prana mattress uncomfortable

18 Aug 2019 12:53 - 18 Aug 2019 16:53 #1 by llamaduck
Hello, I would appreciate some help adjusting to a new latex mattress. I recently bought a Prana Sleep Mattress from Jordan's (model: Henry David Plush Mattress). Prior to this I had a Simmon's beautyrest plush that I had about 5 years but had seemed too soft recently as I was waking up with low back pain. I mostly sleep on my side and stomach, but sometimes on my back too (I'm female, in my early 30's, approx 135lb and 5'6"). This time when I went mattress shopping I tried an equivalent model to my the Beautyrest mattress and while comfortable it was not supportive. I ended up with the Prana sleep which felt supportive but I am wondering if it is too firm.

I've only had the mattress a few days but waking up with shoulder and neck pain. More specifically when I sleep on my side the mattress feels too firm under my shoulder and if I am on my back I get mid and upper back pain. Can anyone help? Does this mean my mattress is too firm or perhaps I just need a new pillow? There is an option for me to exchange the mattress after 30 days but I am still a ways away from the 30 day mark.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 16:53 by llamaduck.

19 Aug 2019 12:35 #2 by diynaturalbedding
You say it is too firm under your shoulders, it sounds like you are sinking through too quickly to the supporting latex below. Do you have the option to try moving around the layers to create a different feel? Start with something simple like moving the 2" layer on top of the 1" layer.

According to Jordan's website, it is a fairly standard mattress build:
Comfort Layers: 1" Soft Talalay Latex and 2" Medium Talalay Latex
Support System: 6" Talalay Latex Core 32ILD

In my experience, a pillow and a mattress tend to be a combo. A soft mattress needs a shorter pillow than a firm mattress. If you sink in further to a soft mattress, you need less support between your shoulders and head than if you are on a firmer mattress where every part of your body sits up a little higher.

19 Aug 2019 17:57 #3 by llamaduck
Thanks for the reply! I have read a lot on this site and found it really helpful about what to look for when mattress shopping. I unfortunately cannot switch any of the layers around as they're all encased and not removable. I did stop by Jordan's again today just to see if the one in the show room felt equally uncomfortable (it did) and tried a few others that were softer just to get an idea if it was more comfortable. I guess I will switch around my pillows and see if that helps.

20 Aug 2019 06:49 #4 by diynaturalbedding
It sounds like you are covering all your bases. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to swap your mattress for something with a little more of a comfort layer. I saw that Jordan's sells quite a few Prana models, including some labeled plush. If you look at each product's Overview tab, Comfort and Support layers, you can start making some comparisons. For the products that use latex, the higher the ILD number, the firmer it is. A typical ILD of a comfort layer would be between 14 - 28 ILD.

Best of luck in the hunt.

30 Aug 2019 05:39 #5 by llamaduck
Thanks for your feedback and ideas. I did go back to Jordan's and tried again the same mattress I had purchased - it also felt too firm in the store, not incredibly uncomfortable but I felt the same pain in my shoulder on my side. I tried a few others and the ones I seemed to like were:

Pranasleep Thoreau super plush
Quilt: MicroModel yarn with silk cover
FR Fibers

1" Everlast foam - 3.75LB density
Support System: Individually Wrapped Coil Design
Patented Wall Wrap for Max Flex
15 Gauge steel with 13.75 gauge edge
Twice Tempered Steel
T/480 F/690 Q/832 K/1056
BOTTOM UPHOLSTERY (Below Innerspring)
1" density foam 1.45LB

I've read on this site that having >1" of low density foam in the quilting is not good for durability so I'm concerned that both of these mattresses have that. But I'm stuck getting something from Jordan's since I am able to exchange the mattress after 30 days. Does any have any feedback on my concerns?

I also compared the Thoreau mattress to the Henry David Plush (the one I ended up buying), noticing the only difference was 1" more of soft latex in the comfort layer. I ordered a 1" soft latex topper to try on top of the new mattress (Henry David Plush) from sleep on latex. I tried that out and it was too soft, felt comfortable but I woke up with a very sore lower back and could feel my hips not as supported. So now I am also concerned the Thoreau mattress might be too soft even though it felt good in the show room. I'm really scared to not choose the right mattress the second time around...

08 Sep 2019 06:23 #6 by Sensei
Hey llamaduck,

Welcome to the mattress forum :). Just a couple of quick thoughts on your last post.

Actually this issue is a little misleading, as from a very general standpoint, the "foam" has better durability than the traditional quilting materials, like polyester or polyester fiber blends. Although the Prana mattresses are quite expensive, I have had some experience with seeing their quality manufacturing, and the Prana quite package will have very good durability, and I do not think this will be a weak link.

IMO don't compare your sleeping experience with the SOL topper on the Henry David to the extra 1" Talalay in the Thoreau, it is a completely different mattress when comfort layers are used as a part of the full mattress....adding a topper does not replicate what you felt in the store. The SOL topper is a great product but I think you should trust your judgment on the plusher Prana mattresses you have since tried, you are doing all the good work to get what will work for you. Yes, the 30-day return is tight but I think you are on the right track, with some understood anxiety of course.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website