mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress

11 Dec 2019 08:56 #1 by sidesleeper020
Hi All,

In my quest to replace a Brooklyn Bedding Signature during the trial period, I've started researching some brands which I can readily check out in my area OR who are online and 1) have documented quality of components and 2) have a good trial period.

I stumbled upon the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress -- it is available at a steep "discount" versus the obviously inflated MSRP via a company employee purchase portal between my employer and Malouf (the parent company of Wellsville).

They happen to be sold via an independent reseller in my area so I plan on checking it out in store, but before I do, I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience with any Wellsville mattress or this in particular? A quick forum search doesn't yield any results (and very few for Wellsville in general).

I of course still have to go try it out in person, but I reached out to the manufacturer directly regarding the layer construction (pasted below). Of course it is littered with marketing info, but are there any thoughts regarding potential weak links / layers.?

Cover: 97% polyester 3% elastane
Surface: CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® surface coating
Layer 1: 3" CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® infused memory foam (3.5 lb)
Layer 2: 2" quick response foam (4 lb)
Layer 3: 9" supportive base foam (1.8 lb)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

19 Dec 2019 13:54 #2 by sidesleeper020
Friendly bump in case anyone has any experience or can comment on the Wellsville CarbonCool.

31 Dec 2019 00:44 #3 by Phoenix
Hi sidesleeper020.

I just rescued your post from another topic in progress, moved it to its own thread. and replyed to it to get it back on track :ohmy:

Thanks for your patience and friendly reminder. Burning the midnight oil right now so it is better to leave it for tomorrow and I or one of the other moderators will soon get to it.

01 Jan 2020 16:38 #4 by Sensei
Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for your patience during this crazy holiday and hope things are going well. You've had quite a few questions for the TMU Forum that have been answered, but with so many open threads unfortunately this one was lost :).

Congrats on your upcoming new mattress purchase! Sounds like you're following some of the suggested steps from the TMU Mattress Shopping Tutorial , such as researching local manufacturers and exploring what options you may have there. Connecting with the "experts" at better stores in your area allows the opportunity to discuss the types of materials, components, and layering that best fits your needs and preferences and that will match all the most important parts your PPP/"personal value equation" ( read more of post #46 here ) .

I stumbled upon the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress-- it is available at a steep "discount" versus the obviously inflated MSRP via a company employee purchase portal between my employer and Malouf (the parent company of Wellsville). They happen to be sold via an independent reseller in my area so I plan on checking it out in store, but before I do, I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience with any Wellsville mattress or this in particular?

You mention that the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress is available from an independent reseller in your area at a steep "discount." A bit of caution here: you may want to find out if this independent resells "used" mattresses, could account for the significant difference in pricing they offer.

are there any thoughts regarding potential weak links / layers.?
Cover: 97% polyester 3% elastane
Surface: CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® surface coating
Layer 1: 3" CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® infused memory foam (3.5 lb)
Layer 2: 2" quick response foam (4 lb)
Layer 3: 9" supportive base foam (1.8 lb)

The 9" base foam meets durability guidelines and should be fine, you can read more about these in the article Mattress Durability Guidelines…How Long Will a Mattress Last . Layer 1's construction of 3" memory foam layer is something to consider as it will receive the most contact/ wear and tear, at a 3.5 lb density would be likely to break down more quickly. Of course, I am not personally familiar with Wellsville mattresses or their components, so this would be just my thoughts.

Let us know how your research goes and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

06 Jan 2020 17:34 #5 by sidesleeper020

Thanks for the reply, Sensei. To clarify, I get the discount directly via Malouf’s (Wellsville parent company) corporate partner VIP portal, which my employer is part of. In order to actually test the mattress in person, however, I’ve found a local reseller.

Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14” Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility:

Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?

Layer 1: 2" Ventilated Latex (4.4# — Dunlop Latex, 20% natural/80% synthetic)
Layer 2: 1.5" Ultra plush gel memory foam (1.9#)
Layer 3: 2” supportive transition foam (1.6#)
Coils: 6.5” 12 gauge foam encased pocket coils (1090 coil count for king)
Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

08 Jan 2020 14:07 #6 by Sensei
Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for the update :) .

Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14” Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility….Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?

Layer 1: 2" Ventilated Latex (4.4# — Dunlop Latex, 20% natural/80% synthetic)

You may feel some "sinking in" from the "cradling" effect of the Dunlop layer above, should have a firm, supportive feeling.

Layer 2: 1.5" Ultra plush gel memory foam (1.9#)

Layer 2 at 1.9 lbs should have adequate support, but this will all be part of your PPP/ and how you like the feeling of the Dunlop top layer.

Layer 3: 2” supportive transition foam (1.6#)

Would be better to have the transition foam weight a little higher, either 1.8lbs or 1.9lbs if its above the pocketed coils.

Coils: 6.5” 12 gauge foam encased pocket coils (1090 coil count for king)

How much of a firmness are you looking for in a mattress? Are the coils in fact 12 gauge? I checked their web site and couldn't verify those specs. They would be quite heavy for pocketed coils and would give a very firm feel to the bed.

Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

I would be concerned that a 1.8 lb. base foam would be sufficient enough to support the 12 gauge coils without harming the 2" base foam structure itself. However, if these are truly pocket coils in the range of 15 gauge, then the weight should be fine.

Thanks again for sharing your research process with other TMU consumer subscribers and appreciate the updates. Looking forward to hearing about which Wellsville model you choose.

Cheers,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

08 Jan 2020 14:46 #7 by sidesleeper020

I'm looking for Medium to Medium Firm. Based on my first test of the mattress in store, my initial impression was that the 14" latex hybrid was less firm feeling than my current (soon to be returned) Brooklyn Bedding Signature Firm, but firmer than a medium (Of course, I realize these are very different mattresses)

I can't 100% confirm accuracy, however I got the information after emailing Wellsville and asking about layer construction and foam densities. FWIW, this reseller site 12.25 gauge pocket coils (embedded in the image) and within the site text.

Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

Of course! I'm not 100% sold on buying a Wellsville -- however given the level of discount I get, it's getting my attention but I want to vet the details/quality and not buy it purely on price.

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website