Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 11 Dec 2019 08:56 #1

Hi All,

In my quest to replace a Brooklyn Bedding Signature during the trial period, I've started researching some brands which I can readily check out in my area OR who are online and 1) have documented quality of components and 2) have a good trial period.

I stumbled upon the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress -- it is available at a steep "discount" versus the obviously inflated MSRP via a company employee purchase portal between my employer and Malouf (the parent company of Wellsville).

They happen to be sold via an independent reseller in my area so I plan on checking it out in store, but before I do, I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience with any Wellsville mattress or this in particular? A quick forum search doesn't yield any results (and very few for Wellsville in general).

I of course still have to go try it out in person, but I reached out to the manufacturer directly regarding the layer construction (pasted below). Of course it is littered with marketing info, but are there any thoughts regarding potential weak links / layers.?

Cover: 97% polyester 3% elastane
Surface: CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® surface coating
Layer 1: 3" CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® infused memory foam (3.5 lb)
Layer 2: 2" quick response foam (4 lb)
Layer 3: 9" supportive base foam (1.8 lb)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 19 Dec 2019 13:54 #2

Friendly bump in case anyone has any experience or can comment on the Wellsville CarbonCool.

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 31 Dec 2019 00:44 #3

Hi sidesleeper020.

I just rescued your post from another topic in progress, moved it to its own thread. and replyed to it to get it back on track :ohmy:

Thanks for your patience and friendly reminder. Burning the midnight oil right now so it is better to leave it for tomorrow and I or one of the other moderators will soon get to it.

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 01 Jan 2020 16:38 #4

Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for your patience during this crazy holiday and hope things are going well. You've had quite a few questions for the TMU Forum that have been answered, but with so many open threads unfortunately this one was lost :).

Congrats on your upcoming new mattress purchase! Sounds like you're following some of the suggested steps from the TMU Mattress Shopping Tutorial , such as researching local manufacturers and exploring what options you may have there. Connecting with the "experts" at better stores in your area allows the opportunity to discuss the types of materials, components, and layering that best fits your needs and preferences and that will match all the most important parts your PPP/"personal value equation" ( read more of post #46 here ) .

I stumbled upon the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress-- it is available at a steep "discount" versus the obviously inflated MSRP via a company employee purchase portal between my employer and Malouf (the parent company of Wellsville). They happen to be sold via an independent reseller in my area so I plan on checking it out in store, but before I do, I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience with any Wellsville mattress or this in particular?

You mention that the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress is available from an independent reseller in your area at a steep "discount." A bit of caution here: you may want to find out if this independent resells "used" mattresses, could account for the significant difference in pricing they offer.

are there any thoughts regarding potential weak links / layers.?
Cover: 97% polyester 3% elastane
Surface: CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® surface coating
Layer 1: 3" CarbonCool™ + Omniphase® infused memory foam (3.5 lb)
Layer 2: 2" quick response foam (4 lb)
Layer 3: 9" supportive base foam (1.8 lb)

The 9" base foam meets durability guidelines and should be fine, you can read more about these in the article Mattress Durability Guidelines…How Long Will a Mattress Last . Layer 1's construction of 3" memory foam layer is something to consider as it will receive the most contact/ wear and tear, at a 3.5 lb density would be likely to break down more quickly. Of course, I am not personally familiar with Wellsville mattresses or their components, so this would be just my thoughts.

Let us know how your research goes and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 06 Jan 2020 17:34 #5

Thanks for the reply, Sensei. To clarify, I get the discount directly via Malouf’s (Wellsville parent company) corporate partner VIP portal, which my employer is part of. In order to actually test the mattress in person, however, I’ve found a local reseller.

Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14” Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility:

Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?

Layer 1: 2" Ventilated Latex (4.4# — Dunlop Latex, 20% natural/80% synthetic)
Layer 2: 1.5" Ultra plush gel memory foam (1.9#)
Layer 3: 2” supportive transition foam (1.6#)
Coils: 6.5” 12 gauge foam encased pocket coils (1090 coil count for king)
Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 08 Jan 2020 14:07 #6

Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for the update :) .

Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14” Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility….Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?

Layer 1: 2" Ventilated Latex (4.4# — Dunlop Latex, 20% natural/80% synthetic)

You may feel some "sinking in" from the "cradling" effect of the Dunlop layer above, should have a firm, supportive feeling.

Layer 2: 1.5" Ultra plush gel memory foam (1.9#)

Layer 2 at 1.9 lbs should have adequate support, but this will all be part of your PPP/ and how you like the feeling of the Dunlop top layer.

Layer 3: 2” supportive transition foam (1.6#)

Would be better to have the transition foam weight a little higher, either 1.8lbs or 1.9lbs if its above the pocketed coils.

Coils: 6.5” 12 gauge foam encased pocket coils (1090 coil count for king)

How much of a firmness are you looking for in a mattress? Are the coils in fact 12 gauge? I checked their web site and couldn't verify those specs. They would be quite heavy for pocketed coils and would give a very firm feel to the bed.

Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

I would be concerned that a 1.8 lb. base foam would be sufficient enough to support the 12 gauge coils without harming the 2" base foam structure itself. However, if these are truly pocket coils in the range of 15 gauge, then the weight should be fine.

Thanks again for sharing your research process with other TMU consumer subscribers and appreciate the updates. Looking forward to hearing about which Wellsville model you choose.

Cheers,
Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress 08 Jan 2020 14:46 #7

I'm looking for Medium to Medium Firm. Based on my first test of the mattress in store, my initial impression was that the 14" latex hybrid was less firm feeling than my current (soon to be returned) Brooklyn Bedding Signature Firm, but firmer than a medium (Of course, I realize these are very different mattresses)

I can't 100% confirm accuracy, however I got the information after emailing Wellsville and asking about layer construction and foam densities. FWIW, this reseller site 12.25 gauge pocket coils (embedded in the image) and within the site text.

Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

Of course! I'm not 100% sold on buying a Wellsville -- however given the level of discount I get, it's getting my attention but I want to vet the details/quality and not buy it purely on price.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds