Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 31 Dec 2019 11:18 #1

Hi all,

Thanks for this site. The information has been fantastic and very eye opening.

My wife and I have started shopping for a bed and mattress. We bought the bed itself this weekend, and are now realizing that we may have made a mistake. Given some space constraints, we wanted something with built-in storage and bought the Milano bed (specifically the Storage Bed option) from De Fehr Furniture ( www.defehr.com/product/master-bedroom/series-646/ ). We've bought their furniture in the past. It's well constructed and of solid maple.

We purchased the bed only (headboard without extensions, foodboard, rails) with the drawers underneath. The bed has what looks like a plywood platform mattress base. Here's the installation manual (the Storage Bed sections starts on Page 11): www.defehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/0...O-DEFEHR-BEDROOM.pdf

After my reading of the resources here, I'm starting to think that we should not have bought a bed with a platform base. We haven't really started shopping for the mattress, but I'm concerned about airflow. I know we can use something like a coir bed rug, but I'm worried that won't be adequate air flow.

We do have a few weeks to cancel the order without penalty, so we aren't stuck into a purchase.

Does anyone have recommendations for a platform storage bed, ideally solid wood, with integrated drawers on rails and a slat base for improved circulation? My wife wants the base as close to the ground as possible, too.

We saw options on MFC and Dormio, but the drawers are unfortunately on castors and not integrated into the frame. We're concerned with scratching on our hardwood floors. The options from Ikea same to be the same type of system, and likely aren't very strong foundations.

dormio.ca/product/the-erinn/
en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/products/upper-u...d-frame-with-drawers

Thanks for the help!

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 31 Dec 2019 17:16 #2

So, we actually think we are going to cancel the order and shop for a solid wood bed with a slatted wood base instead, and use some sort of underbed storage option such as plastic bins.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 01 Jan 2020 10:40 #3

Hey crr243,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :) Thanks for the kind words on the site and hope you continue to find the resources here useful.

My wife and I have started shopping for a bed and mattress. We bought the bed itself this weekend, and are now realizing that we may have made a mistake. Given some space constraints, we wanted something with built-in storage and bought the Milano bed (specifically the Storage Bed option) from De Fehr Furniture. We've bought their furniture in the past. It's well constructed and of solid maple.

Congrats on your new bed/ mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear that your initial bed purchase isn't quite what you were hoping for. You had added an update yesterday following this initial post, so I am combining several quotes of interest from that post here as well and renaming the topic to "Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base Recommendations", will help consumer subscribers sharing your questions follow your research and comments.

dormio.ca/product/the-erinn/
en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/products/upper-u...d-frame-with-drawers

Thanks for checking into possible wood bed choices from expert Trusted Members Dormio Organic Beds and MFC . Our trusted member program offers consumer subscribers the unique opportunity to seek advise directly from leading experts in the mattress/ bed manufacturing and retail industries.

So, we actually think we are going to cancel the order and shop for a solid wood bed with a slatted wood base instead, and use some sort of underbed storage option such as plastic bins…I am discussing some options with Mario at MFC. His solid wood beds seem competitively priced, customizable in finish colours, and have slats 3.25" apart with the option to double up for slats about 1" apart. So they should be suitable for all manufacturers and mattress types.

Good to hear you are working with @Mario of MFC, sounds like you are on the path now to making some decisions. Hope you'll keep us updated on your research and let us know what bed you decide on. Will be looking forward to hearing about your future mattress shopping too ;)

Cheers,
Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 04 Jan 2020 13:58 #4

Thanks Sensei.

We actually think we're going to go with a solid birch wood slatted made in Canada bed from MFC. It'll be in the $1000 CAD range and will support any mattress we buy.

We started our mattress journey today, and it sure will be challenging with a 1.5 year old in tow.

I am a back and stomach sleeper. I try my side most nights, as it lets me be closer to my wife, but I often find myself turning back onto my back not long after. And then I flip between back and stomach throughout the night.

My wife is predominantly a side sleeper, which she got into while pregnant. She sometimes finds herself on her back as that was her previous predominant position, and it's what has previously been recommended by medical professionals because of an s curve in her spine.

Me - 6', 190lb, stomach/back
Wife - 5'3", 120lb, side/back

We visited Matelas Dauphin first. We tried several talalay latex, memory foam, hybrid (pocket coil + latex or pocket coil + memory foam) and pocket coil mattresses.

I favoured the London, which is their pocket coil support with foam comfort: matelasdauphin.com/produit/london/

We were told:
- 2" viscos gel (Gel-Flex), 3 lb, 10 ILD comfort layer
- 4" pocket coils. 14 gauge in the middle zone, 15 gauge in the upper and lower zones
- 4" support layer of 2 lb polyfoam at 33 ILD

I found that the 2" of foam really cradled my back, and didn't interfere in stomach sleeping. The pocket coil transition to the firmer 4" foam base was excellent. My wife found this bed too firm for her. It didn't provide enough pressure point relief in the comfort layer.

My concern here is the durability of the 3 lb comfort layer.

My wife favoured a medium firm Hotel Collection pocket coil: matelasdauphin.com/en/product/hotel-collection/

I couldn't get her to provide me a copy of the spec sheet, but we were told that all foam layers were 2.5 lb polyfoam. I don't have the thickness or gauge of the coils or the thickness of the foam, but again the coils had a softer middle zone. I suspect guages were the same as the London.

We also tried one of their semi-firm pocket coil mattresses. I believe it was the Sapphire 2 or 3. My wife found it too firm for her, but I preferred it over Hotel Collection.

I regret not having tried something firmer for myself or softer for my wife, just to get a comparison. She has wide hips and is pretty light; I think she'd benefit from something softer, while I certainly favoured something a bit firmer.

This store has a 50% off end of year sale ending tomorrow. I know one shouldn't fall into the sense of urgency of a sale, but for a mere $50 deposit they will actually honour the sale price for a full year. We are extremely tempted to buy into the marketing scheme as the mattresses are of a great quality, and if we find something we prefer elsewhere (a) $50 isn't much money; and (b) we need a guest bed too.

They also have a 120 day trial period with in-store credit, and they'd honour the 50% off for a change. It's a $50 delivery fee to change out the mattress once.

Sale price, the London was $1250 and the Hotel was $1050.

Some takeaways:
- Neither of us liked the feel of Talalay latex
- My wife favoured pocket coils with a more plush/softer conventional foam comfort layer for her side sleeping
- I favoured pocket coils with a firmer memory foam comfort layer ("hybrid") for my back and stomach sleeping
- We certainly want to try some more pocket coil options, with both memory foam and polyfoam comfort layers. I think we'd also benefit from trying something firmer for her and softer for me to understand the recommended middle-firm compromise

Next up was Obasan. We spent a couple of hours here and tied a lot of different Dunlop latex mattresses. From customising left and right to fully customising 6 zones, we tried several different combinations.

obasan.ca/pages/adult

I'll continue my account later, when I have more time to write it.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 04 Jan 2020 14:05 #5

I should also note that I'd like to try to get more information on the foam in the pocket coil mattresses, as well as the thicknesses of the layers, at Matelas Dauphin.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 04 Jan 2020 16:59 #6

We visited Obasan as well.

They are all organic Dunlop latex.

We tried the 8", 9", and 10" options. The 8" and 9" have a 3" base, 3" middle/core, and 2" or 3" comfort layer. The bottom layer is always firm, the top is always soft, and the middle can be soft, medium, or firm and split left to right. The 8" was about $3350 all in and the 9" was $4050 all in. Obasan added a wool mattress protector and cotton velour fitted sheet complementary in place of any sort of sale price.

I forget the layer thicknesses in 10", but this option was a lot more configurable. The base layer could be split left/right, the middle had 6 zones (3 head to toe per sleeper), and the top was soft. The cost was $5300 all in.

Built in to the price was basically a 1 year comfort guarantee, where they will swap out any configurable layers (middle for the 8" or 9", or middle or bottom for 10"), free of charge to adjust to your preferences. They also sell individual layers/components ifnyou want adjust comfort in the future; for example, one side of the middle layer in the 9" is around $500+tax and one of the 6 middle blocks in the 10" is $200+tax.

Avery individual component is wrapped. The entire mattress is in a thick wool protector.

ILDs and densities are:

Soft
20-22 ILD
60-65 Density

Medium
32-35 ILD
70-75 Density

Firm
38-42 ILD
80-85 Density

We had a hard time justifying the extra $1200 for the 10" when we saw sufficient comfort and support in the 9". My wife noticed a considerable amount of extra pressure point comfort for her hips with the 9" over the 8"; the extra 1" of soft comfort layer made all the difference.

We both gravitated to the exact configurations recommended using the Obasan online calculator.

9"
Me: Soft top, Firm middle, Firm bottom
Her: Soft top, Medium middle, Firm bottom

The sales person was very open and transparent about everything and we really liked customizability especially given our different weights and sleep positions, but we have a hard justifying the $4000 price tag.

I found the support on the Obasan mattresses far superior to the Dauphin pocket coils, but not necessarily any better than the $1250 hybrid, while my wife didn't see much difference in the PPP between the $1000 pocket coil and the $4000 latex.

I'd like to visit Matese Lapensée to try out their pocket coils. My wife, who has back issues and complains about mattresses all the time, couldn't be bothered to shop anymore and would just as soon pull the trigger on the Dauphin Hotel Collection. But our shopping habits definitely differ!

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 05 Jan 2020 13:14 #7

I visited Lapensée and Dauphin today, without toddler and wife, to do some more recon and build up my confidence level on which manufacturer we will likely purchase from.

Dauphin
- Polyfoam in their pocket coil mattresses is 2.5 lb
- Memory foam in their pocket coil mattresses is 4 lb.
- Latex layers are Talalay ~19 ILD
- Coils are 14 gauge (middle section) and 15 gauge (top and bottom)
- All pocket coil layers are 8". The comfort layer ranges from 3" to 4" or so, depending on the mattress
- All pocket coil bases are, if memory serves, 800 total, in straight rows and not offset
- All mattresses can be manufactured as flippable for a fee in the range of $400 for the queen, depending on the mattress. The sales person argued against spending the extra money unless you plan on religiously flipping every 3 months, as most people start neglecting to after a couple of years, negating the benefit. Valid point.
- I didn't see or hear any red flags with their materials
- Prices for a single sided semi-firm queen in what we tested ranged from $1150 to $1500 delivered. $1150 was a polyfoam comfort layer (different thicknesses and types of 2.5 lb of polyfoam, total 3.5"), $1300 had microcoils topped by 2 layers of different types of 2.5 lb polyfoam (total 4"), $1500 had a layer of latex surrounded by 2 different 2.5 lb layers of polyfoam (total 4"). I don't have the exact thicknesses of each layer. Prices are all inclusive of taxes and delivery.
- Their comfort guarantee is a $50 delivery charge to swap the mattress within 100 days

Lapensée
- Polyfoam is all 2 lb or 2.5 lb, depending on the line. They use 2.5lb in their more expensive, longer warranty mattresses.
- Memory foam is 3 lb or 3.5 lb, again depending on the line
- Latex is Talalay ~20 ILD
- Pocket coils are 13-15 gauge. 13 for firm, 14 for semi, 15 for soft
- Coil support layers are 9" coils in an 8" pocket for the first 3 price points. The higher price point has 12" coils in an 8" pocket
- The lowest price point is 800 coils in straight lines
- The other 3 price points are 1000 nested coils
- Comfort layers range from about 2" to 4" depending on mattress line and whether one selects polyfoam, memory foam, or latex
- I didn't like their memory foam density (they used marketing speech, calling it oxygen memory foam, to try and defend the lower density), but no concerns with any of their other material
- Prices for a semi-firm queen were $1475 for the lower end, $1900 for the next, $2500, and $3400.
- Memory foam to replace most of the polyfoam in the comfort layer adds $170. Latex adds $280 and about half an inch.
-They can customize the mattress coils, and split them half and half in a queen or king at no extra charge. So it's possible to get a semi firm on the left and a firm on the right, for instance
- Their comfort guarantee is 120 days. They will change the coil gauge to make the mattress as a whole softer or firmer at no charge.

If we were to compare apples to apples, the price of the semi firm Dauphin with a comfort layer on both sides is about $1525 for the Hotel Collection. 8" of 14-15 gauge coils, 3.5" of polyfoam comfort on either side. The Lapensée is $1475 for the Comfort Royal, 8" of 14 gauge coils, 2" of polyfoam comfort on either side.

I found them fairly comparable in comfort, with the Lapensée certainly a bit firmer. The Dauphin mattress had more stability in the mid section because of the zoned coils, but more plushness in the thicker comfort layer. The Lapensée had softer overall coils due to the lower gauge, but also a thinner polyfoam comfort layer.

What I found interesting is the difference in philosophy of the two companies. Lapensée adjusted firmness within a given mattress line by changing coil gauge, causing more or less give in the pocket coil support layer. Dauphin, on the other hand, keeps their zoned pocket coil support layer constant while adjusting the materials and thickness of the comfort layer.

Any thoughts on what might be a more acceptable approach?

I was assured at Dauphin that a $50 deposit to hold end of year prices is refundable. So it's definitely a marketing gimmick. But I put a deposit down anyway while we decide.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 05 Jan 2020 13:27 #8

We will definitely be going with a pocket coil from Dauphin or Lapensée. I didn't notice a huge (or really any) difference in comfort going from the 800 to 1000 coils at Lapensée, so our choice will predominantly be on:

- Compromising on firmness vs getting customized coil layers
- Which type of comfort layer we both prefer

I am leaning towards Lapensee because, while they keep their comfort layer constant, they can at least adjust the coil gauge to change the overall firmness and feel on either side. It might be the better compromise. A semi-firm coil layer on my wife's side, a firm on my side, and latex top would run is in the order of $1800 for a flippable.

A similar at Dauphin that would have us compromise on the coil gauge, and not be flippable, would be $1500.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 05 Jan 2020 13:35 #9

I also made an error in recounting my notes. My notes day Lapensée's is actually 14" for the polyfoam version, so 3" of comfort compared to the 3.5" at Dauphin. Dauphin's might be higher overall quality given the denser polyfoam, but does not allow any customization.

Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base recommendations 06 Jan 2020 08:47 #10

More info direct by email from Lapensée. It's not quite as detailed or broken down as I requested, but still valuable.

You’re asking all the right questions, however the quality of foam depends on more than just the density - we use 2 to 3lb dense foam. A 3lb density foam from different manufacturers can vary greatly. We use only the highest quality blend of raw materials in our polyfoam’s formula to ensure long lasting comfort and durability.

The new technology memory foam we use is an equivalent of a 5lb industry standard memory foam and the latex we use is a 5lb dense, all natural Talalay latex.

All our foam is CertiPUR-US certified to guarantee it’s purity.

The total height of Comfort Royal, Elegance and Excellence is 12", consisting of 8" of Pocket coils and 2" of quilt on each side of the mattress. Quilt is made using polyfoam, antibacterial fibers and a fabric cover.
The Luxurious's total height is 14", made using 8" of compressed Pocket coils plus 1" of comfort foam layer and 2" of quilt on each side of the mattress.

If you would like to upgrade the Comfort Royal, Elegance or Excellence to Memory foam, we add 2" of Memory foam and the 2" quilt changes into a 1" quilt (using less polyfoam in it than the 2" quilt). Total height changes to 14".
If you would like to upgrade the Comfort Royal, Elegance or Excellence to Latex, we add 2" of natural latex, 1/2" of latex quilt. Latex quilt consist of 1/2" of natural latex rubber and an upgraded Organic Cotton fabric cover. Height changes to 13".

If you would like to upgrade the Luxurious to Memory foam, we would add 2" of Memory foam and keep the 2" quilt on each side - total height changes to 16".
If you would like to upgrade the Luxurious to Latex, we would add 2.5" of natural latex and 1/2" of latex quilt (& the upgraded Organic Cotton fabric). Height remains at 14".

All the foam used in the Comfort Royal and Comfort Elegance is a 2lb density, and Comfort Excellence and Luxurious are 3lb density. For the border encircling the Pocket coils we use a high compression 2lb foam (2.5" wide).

So the Royal is:
Maxbreeze fabric cover (??)
- 2" of quilt, which is some combination of 2lb polyfoam and fabric; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by a 1" polyfoam quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
- 8" of 800 pocket coils lined up. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
- Bottom comfort layer same as top
Total height is 12" for poly, 14" for memory foam, 13" for latex
Border is 2.5" of 2lb polyfoam
Cost ~$1500 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Elegance is:
Maxbreeze fabric cover (??)
- 2" of quilt with 2lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by a 1" polyfoam quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
- 8" of 1000 nested pocket coils. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
- Bottom comfort layer same as top
Total height is 12" for poly, 14" for memory foam, 13" for latex
Border is 2.5" of 2lb polyfoam
Cost ~$1900 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Excellence is:
Celliant fibre fabric cover (??)
- 2" of quilt with 3lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by 2" quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
- 8" of 1000 nested pocket coils nested. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
Same as top
- Bottom comfort layer same as top
Total height is 12" for poly, 14" for memory foam, 13" for latex
Border is 2.5" of 2lb polyfoam
Cost ~$2500 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Luxurious is:
Celliant fibre fabric cover (??)
- 1" comfort foam (not sure what this is) covered by a 2" quilt with 3lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by 2" quilt; or 2.5" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
- 8" of 1000 longer and more highly compressed nested pocket coils. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
- Bottom comfort layer same as top
Total height is 14" for poly, 16" for memory foam, 14" for latex
Border is 2.5" of 2lb polyfoam
Cost ~$3400 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

- The materials all seem high quality, with the exception of their 3lb memory foam.
- There doesn't seem to be much difference between the middle 2 lines (Elegance and Excellence) to justify the price gap. All they've done is moved from a 2 lb to a 2.5 lb polyfoam.
- I'm also not certain that increasing coil count justifies the jump from Royal to Elegance.
- As mentioned earlier, their entire philosophy seems to be around adjusting the responsiveness of the coils to adjust "firmness". Their comfort layer stays pretty constant, with a slight bump in thickness in the highest line.

I think we're leaning towards the Dauphin mattress now, thought I'm trying to get more information out of them.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds