mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Brooklyn Bedding: comparing Brooklyn Signature, Bloom, Spartan, Aurora Hybrids

11 Dec 2019 13:37 - 11 Dec 2019 16:39 #1 by WTBSleepSev
Hello, I have been pouring through the avalible info on this site for the last couple days and feel educated enough to make a post.

My wife is 5' and 120 lbs, i am 5'11 240 lbs, i have been sleeping a lot on my back for a couple years, but historically prefer to sleep on my side and stomach, i do change during the night in many cases. My wife is more of a back and side sleeper alternating during the night.

I was really looking forward to waking up feeling normal, but unfortunately the medium firm signature did not do the trick. I felt different, in the morning, than with the memory foam, but I still had to do a stretching exercise in the evening to be able to function comfortably the next day. Before the stretches, i was in constant upper and lower back pain throughout the day, and extreme stiffness first thing, i felt like an 80 year old at 30. While it wasnt that bad with the signature, it wasn't good either. From what ive read here and elsewhere, i think the memory foam was probobly to low density (it was a very cheap bed in a box) and wasnt giving me the support or pressure relief i needed. The medium firm signature i intially assumed wasnt firm enough so i switched to the Brooklyn Signature firm.

After about 4 weeks of the firm, I was on the fence, I wouldn't say I felt exactly the same way as I did with the memory foam (which was deep stiffness and lower back and shoulder pain) or the medium firm mattress, but I am still experiencing lower back pain and some morning stiffness. So I tried adding a memory foam topper we had from a previous mattress. (I wonder about that memory foam too being a cheap walmart topper) Ive been testing that for about a week.

While in some ways this was more comfortable to lay on going to bed, It didn't resolve the back troubles, and I think either the mattress or topper is causing a new soreness in my left hip and knee. My wife also reported to me that while the medium firm was better for her than the memory foam, the firm was less comfortable without the topper. But with the topper she has been having some other issue.

So the last couple of nights I have gone back to my baseline test mattress, which is a standard innerspring in my guest bedroom. And when I go to sleep on it, I don't have to do any stretches the night before, and I wake up feeling almost 100% I believe if i slept on it for a week or so i would be back to normal. My knee and hip also seem not to be bothering me as much.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what the solution is. Having done extensive research, I feel like an innerspring with a pillow top is probably what I should try next, and I have slept on one of those in the past without issues.

However, as I do not see that BB offer that type of mattress, I wanted to know if one of their other options may be a good option for me to try. I have looked at the Bowry (i don't think i should even consider an all foam at this point) and Bowry hybrid, and I don't think that's going to be an improvement on the signature hybrid.

So it seems I'm comparing the Bloom - Spartan - Aurora Hybrids. Which (if any) would you suggest I try next, and in what level of firmness? It is my understanding that support and firmness are not the same thing, and as a firmer mattress hasn't solved the problem, perhaps a more supportive mattress in a medium firmness would be advisable? From the research I have done, the coils on the aurora/spartan are 8", 16 gauge and there are more of them than the signature, which isn't necessarily better, but combined with the denser and different foams, may provide better support and comfort, especially with me being a heavier person.

I posed this same question to BB and am awaiting their response, but im curious what you expert folks think. Thank you for your time!

(I would have made this its own post, but i didnt seem to have that option.)

Follow up, BB got back to me with a 1 sentance reply "check out our titan" which appears to be on another website, but based on the description, is nearly identical to my existing BB signature... not happy.
titanmattress.com/

They say the mattress design is totally different, the coil system, the titan uses 13G coils instead of the 6G coils the signature uses, which in turn will offer more support.

Does that sound like it would make that much difference?
Last edit: 11 Dec 2019 16:39 by WTBSleepSev.

11 Dec 2019 17:19 #2 by Sweet Dreams
The BB Titan is a unique model in their line which is specifically designed for heavier individuals. It would definitely have a firmer feel to it and should offer more support than their standard models, but it may be too firm for your wife at her lower weight. Very hard to predict how it might suit each of you but I would expect it to be much firmer than the Sig. If you do decide to exchange for one you should check whether you'd still have any return option if it doesn't meet your needs, since many companies limit customers to one return/exchange.

11 Dec 2019 18:19 #3 by WTBSleepSev
Well, this would be my 2nd return/exchange, but ill check with them.

Any thoughts on if it would be better to look into an innerspring or their spartan/aurora series?

11 Dec 2019 18:40 #4 by Sweet Dreams
From comments in your earlier post I'd guess you might prefer a hybrid model rather than their all foam choices, but the manufacturer might be the best one to help you with that decision.

11 Dec 2019 21:05 #5 by WTBSleepSev
Yeah, well i meant a pure innerspring as opposed to a hybrid, and yes they only sell hybrids or all foam.

01 Jan 2020 13:50 #6 by Sensei
Hey WTBSleepSev,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :) ! My apologizes to you, it seems your question was lost a bit in the holiday chaos. Just to recap, here are a few of your quotes:

My wife is 5' and 120 lbs, i am 5'11 240 lbs, i have been sleeping a lot on my back for a couple years, but historically prefer to sleep on my side and stomach… My wife is more of a back and side sleeper alternating during the night. I ordered a mattress a few months ago from Brooklyn Bedding, the Brooklyn signature, in medium firmness. At that time I had been enduring a painful memory foam mattress for almost 2 years. Previously I had only had innerspring and pillow top innerspring mattresses which were great for me. I was really looking forward to waking up feeling normal, but unfortunately the medium firm signature did not do the trick…The medium firm signature i intially assumed wasnt firm enough so i switched to the Brooklyn Signature firm. After about 4 weeks of the firm… I wouldn't say I felt exactly the same way as I did with the memory foam (which was deep stiffness and lower back and shoulder pain) or the medium firm mattress, but I am still experiencing lower back pain and some morning stiffness.

It sounds like you have put a good amount of time in experimenting between BB's Medium Firm Signature vs. their Firm Signature, sorry to hear that you're still experiencing discomfort from the comfort layers. As it's been awhile since your post, can you offer any updates on your current BB situation? Are you still considering one of their Bloom, Spartan, or Aurora Hybrids? To better reach other consumers who may be following your research, I'm renaming your topic to "Brooklyn Bedding: Comparing Brooklyn Signature, Bloom, Spartan, Aurora Hybrids". I did reach out to them via Chat for further questioning and was offered this Customer Support number: 888-210-8751.

Looking forward to hearing more when you have updates…
Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

06 Jan 2020 22:11 #7 by WTBSleepSev
Hey, so the update is that I am leaning toward the Aurora, and considering other companies as well. I can still sleep on my plain old innerspring just fine, but even after trying the floor test (taking away my frame) im still not getting support and wake up with a weak feeling in my lower back, sides, and between shoulders. So the firmness wasnt the issue, the BB signature just doesnt support me sadly. I gave my dad my medium firm signature, per their return policy, and he is about my same height and weight, but he is loving it, i wish i had lol. So now I am debating the aurora, or maybe trying purple or bear or saavata. I'll keep you posted.

06 Jan 2020 22:14 #8 by WTBSleepSev
One other thing of note, the first BB rep I spoke with and explained everything about the 2 BB signatures I had tried, advised me to go with another brand of theirs the "Titan" company matress with heavier coils. However, after talking to the more recent rep, this rep advised the aurora from their main line. So, getting some inconsistency, they said the difference was because they think the titan would bear up better against my weight, but the 2nd rep said they thought it would be too firm for my smaller wife. Confusing, when I gave both of them the same info.

09 Jan 2020 22:00 #9 by WTBSleepSev
Aurora firm should be here tuesday, ill let you know how it works out.

11 Jan 2020 10:43 #10 by Sensei
Hey WTBSleepSev,

Aurora firm should be here tuesday, ill let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Aurora firm and hope that you and your wife are closer to a more supportive mattress solution :) .

Cheers,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website