"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 13 May 2020 13:51 #1

Dear TMU Consumer Subscribers,

We thank each of you for your contributions and ongoing support of the Forum as we work together to continue our mission of bringing quality, education, and transparency to the mattress shopping process. Currently, the Mattress Underground's support team is working on site improvements; some functionalities, such as "Create a New Topic" are currently turned off for now and we'll keep you updated on the status of these. Here is a brief refresher on posting questions to the "General Mattress Questions" Forum vs. "Ask an Expert" Forum :

"General Mattress Questions" Forum: if the Search tool doesn't locate the answers you are looking for, then you may Create an Account here and post your questions or comments on the TMU "General Mattress Questions" Forum. Please take a minute to read the Forum Rules and understand your role as a respectful, responsible consumer subscriber. Spamming, trolling, offensive language or other such actions deemed inappropriate will result in an immediate ban; again, review the Forum rules, show respect and Love One Another.

"Ask an Expert" Forum: the most unique value of our site for consumers is the access to mattress experts for answering your questions. These manufacturers/ retailers have years of industry experience and specialized knowledge of components, construction, useage, and the ability to help guide you through the decision making process as you research your new mattress purchase. They are not here to use this Forum for self-promotion but to offer assistance in as objective a manner as possible. Before reaching out to a specific "Expert" member with your question, please use these guidelines:

- Search our Trusted Members and find the one best suited for your needs based on who you would potentially would work with;
- Do ask questions about the Expert's products/ expertise as it relates to your research;
- Do request details on their products specs, return policies and warranties if not available on their website and if needed for your research;
- When asking guidance about products from other companies, please limit questions to 1- 2 products per discussion. Do some preliminary research on the product and list in your post all product specifications needed for the expert or moderator to make any meaningful comments (e.g., layering/thickness, material of each layer, density, ILD, etc). Please note: experts donate their time to answer consumer questions and rarely have extra time for researching other brands' mattress specifications. Spec information too is especially difficult to find for products from those companies that are not transparent about what is in their mattress to discourage comparisons based on quality of the components. However, if you can find and provide this information in your post our experts will be happy to help.

But please DO NOT:
- ask Experts questions without regard to their particular specialty;
- ask Experts to speculate on competitor's products, warranties or return policies;
- Spam/ Troll Experts with unrelated comments to a particular post; such actions will result in an immediate ban.

Thanks again All for being part of the TMU Forum; feel free to send questions my way and wishing you all a good night's rest.

Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Last edit: by Sensei. Reason: spelling edit

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 08:31 #2

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but I can't figure out how to post a "New Topic" (which I believe is the most appropriate place for my question).

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 10:32 #3

@Rad1x - You're not being dense at all, the New Topic button seems to currently be missing in the General Forum. So your choice would be to add your question to an existing post with a related topic, or to select an appropriate expert in the Talk to the Experts section and you can create a New Topic there. Hope that helps!

- Bill

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 11:23 #4

Hey Rad1x,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :) ! Good to have you here and thanks for your question.

Rad1x, TMU Ambassador @SweetDreams is correct; the "New Topic" function is currently disabled as we're working on some forum site updates behind the scenes this week. If for some reason you don't see a topic related closely enough for your question, or your question doesn't quite pair with a need for a TMU Expert, feel free to post it here and I'll take make sure it's moved to the best place for responses. Don't forget that after you've replied to check the "Subscribe" box underneath/ left side of the message text editor to receive email notifications when replies are made to your post. Hope this helps… ;)

Thanks,
Sensei

PS…Hey @SweetDreams, do you like the cool avatar Phoenix made for you? The TMU Team felt it both fitting and well-deserved to honor you with the first-ever "TMU Ambassador" status for your many valuable insights and objective points of view. Your extensive product knowledge and unbiased consumer reporting provides valuable first person commentary to our consumer subscribers, as well as awesome volunteer support to both me and Phoenix. So, here's our shout-out to Bill: Congrats to our first TMU Ambassador/ Valued Contributor! Thanks for all you do to help consumer subscribers have "Sweet Dreams"…I know, but I couldn't resist, ;)
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 11:41 #5

@Sensei - I noticed my new avatar but wasn't sure who came up with it... thanks to both you and Phoenix for the recognition. :blush: I just try to help out when I can, but like others here I find the site a to be a very valuable resource which I continue to learn from. Thanks again! B)

Last edit: by NikkiTMU. Reason: User direction to remove outdated reference

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 12:58 #6

Thank you, Sensei! I have not found an existing topic that matches my question closely. Do you know when the new topic button will be back? It's not so urgent that I can't wait til a bit til the forum improvements are done, but if it'll be months I'll post it here. Thank you!

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 13:41 #7

Couldn't find an edit button on my post.
Additional items:
I think we want a "medium" soft mattress (whatever that is).
I'm 66 and my wife is 68.
We live in Wichita Ks.

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 24 Jun 2020 14:04 #8

@Rad1x, don't have an official timeline but it may be closer to the end of this week or so. There are some exciting updates to the forum's look and user experience coming soon, we'll be sharing the release news soon! Thanks for your patience...and I'm looking forward with much curiosity to your upcoming question ;)
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 11 Jul 2020 00:42 #9

Hi Sensei,

I'm new to TMU so please feel free to correct anything about what I'm saying or make any suggestions about how I'm going about the search. I've heard good things about TMU from Reddit and have done a bit of research on what I want in a mattress. I would greatly appreciate your input and some help in finding a reliable mattress that can last 4 years.

To give you some context, I will be moving to Roanoke VA for medical school and I would really prefer to have a bed that is comfortable. I have tight hip flexors which often results in lower back pain and even sciatica. This is 100% due to sitting and studying for extended periods of time for most of my life (I'm 26). For the last two years, I've been using a supposedly "firm" Live & Sleep Ultra; this has mostly aggravated the pain over time. Of course, I am doing Physical Therapy and have been trying to reduce the time I sit, but sleep is still a big factor in how much pain I feel every day. I know it's not due to my health because I exercise regularly (I'm 6'4'', 200lb and in good shape).

RE the type of mattress, I'm looking for an extra firm mattress. The reason I say this is that sleeping on the floor has resulted in the biggest improvement in the pain I feel and reduction of my sciatica. When I slept on the Live&Sleep mattress, the pain returned and my sciatica flared up again. While sleeping on the floor is an option, I would prefer a mattress long term. The only mattress I have found that was suitable for me was a Beautyrest Platinum Haven Pines Extra Firm mattress. I laid on it and instantly felt 110% at ease. I hesitate on this because I see in multiple posts that it is wise to avoid name brands.

Lastly, I've scoured TMU for past posts about shops in Roanoke. Most of the links are out of date and the posts more than 5 years old. The ones that work for me are Virginia Furniture Market and Allen's Furniture and they both only sell name brands like Temper pedic, Sealy, etc. The Rug Mattress and Furniture StoreThe Rug and has a latex mattress but only in firm, and I don't know how firm that actually is.

In summary, I am looking for advice on either finding a local mattress store in the Roanoke VA area that have extra firm mattresses that can last 4 years or a brand you would recommend that I look for in stores near Roanoke. I'm extremely desperate to find a mattress because I'm at my wits end trying to find something suitable for me. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Hong

"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question? 12 Jul 2020 00:33 #10

I should also mention that temperature is also a concern. I'll be in VA and I'm sure summers are hotter than what I'm used to in Northern California. I've been searching online and so far, I've seen some other recommendations such as the TEMPUR-breeze and Serta iComfort TempTouch. What are your thoughts on their firmness and quality, despite them being name brands? Would you recommend any other non-name brands? Thank you!