mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Need Help - Lower Back Pain No Support with current Latex Setup

02 Jun 2020 11:06 #1 by kai920
We have a king plush Luma All Latex Sleep System. We have had the system for 1-2 years now and I am growing increasingly uncomfortable and am ready to replace it.

I know latex should be supportive and contour my body, so my assumption is that it is not firm enough. We traded the plush topper in the beginning for a plush+ topper, and it was too firm, we just didn't like it. When we start increasing the firmness of the latex I get shoulder pain as a side sleeper. So we returned to plush.

So now I am at an impasse with the matress. We both prefer a plush feel, but need I am in need of something with more lumbar support at the same time.

Any reccomendations? I am considering a innserpring or innerspring/latex hybrid and using the latex topper we have to increase plushness. Something like the Saatva which has a lumbar support zone, or even the Luma innserpring mattress in medium and putting the current topper back on.

Other than that, I am out of ideas. Am also trying to minimize overall cost, becasue this current setup is still relatively new but am willing to buy the "right mattress".

How is the coil system in this mattress?
lumasleep.com/products/luma-mattress#productDetails

Thanks in advance!

02 Jun 2020 11:23 #2 by eileenmarie46
Hi,
I know your pain. I spent 2019 finding the right mattress - I had hybrids in both latex and foam and then all Latex and all foam and finally The Winkbeds Memory Lux (all foam) in Firm finally did the trick - it is soft enough to support my hips and shoulders for side sleeping and yet supportive enough in the lumbar area to support my lower back issues. It says firm but it is more a medium feel so you get the pressure relief and support. Trust me...spent thousands on trying out and returning all major brands before finding this wonderful company. Made is the US - great customer service and exchange and or return policy. Well made and 12 inches high, so fits on my adjustable base perfectly. Check out Winkbeds online - you won’t be sorry. Does not run hot either. I had a tempurpedic and it was so terribly hot that was one return in 2019...UGH.

02 Jun 2020 11:33 #3 by kai920
I am a very HOT sleeper. I am quite wary of non-latex foam, hence the reason I am on latex now. I love it in that regard, never knew how cool I could sleep until I swtiched to latex. But I will check it out. Thanks for the reccomendation.

03 Jun 2020 14:04 #4 by Sensei
Hey kai920,

Welcome back to the TMU forum :) ! Thanks for your question.

We have a king plush Luma All Latex Sleep System. We have had the system for 1-2 years now and I am growing increasingly uncomfortable and am ready to replace it…Wife and I are both side sleepers. Her 5'5" ~140lbs, Me 5'8" 180 lbs. The issue is I feel like the mattress sags around my hips, or just isn't firm enough. I end up with lower back pain and stiffness. When I sleep on the ratty old guest spring matress, (which is very soft by the way) my back pain goes away. Return to the latex system and the pain and stiffness returns.

Sorry to hear of your lower back pain/ stiffness discomfort with your current Luma mattress. I've seen some of your earlier posts where Team Luma helped out with a comfort exchange, as well as expert member @SleepEZ offered some advice on latex comfort layering; sorry too that these were not helpful for your pain relief.

How is the coil system in this mattress?
lumasleep.com/products/luma-mattress#productDetails

Luma Sleep uses Leggett & Platts' 8" Quantum Edge Bolsa pocketed coils in its mattress support construction, one of the most popular and durable support systems used. Just a couple of questions for you, kai920: before your all latex mattress, what type mattress were you using, and also have you slept on an innerspring mattress before? Don't know where you're located from a shelter-in-place standpoint, but are conditions safe to make appointments for site visits in your area? I'm linking you up with several of Phoenix's research articles you may find of use during your research:

"Mattress Support Cores" , a discussion of the types of mattress support systems;
"Mattress Comfort Layers" , a review of the types and functions of comfort layers;
"Putting the Layers Together" , an overview of the roles the support and comfort layers play within the mattress;

Hope you find these useful and good luck with your mattress shopping research.

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

05 Jun 2020 16:43 #5 by quest4rest
Hello~

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Memorylux. I'm also looking for a mattress that's soft enough for side sleeping but conforming and supportive enough for when I sleep on my back. I have low back issues due to a bulging disc. Would you mind sharing which other mattresses you tried and how the Winkbeds Memorylux compares? I'm considering the Memorylux myself after trying two hybrid mattresses (memory foams/coils; and latex/coils), which were both too firm and not conforming enough for me. I'm 5"8 and under 140 pounds. Do you mind my asking if you have a similar build? I'm surprised to hear a side sleeper found a firm mattress to be soft enough. Thanks.

05 Jun 2020 17:19 #6 by eileenmarie46
Hello,
Sorry about your back issues- it is a challenge for sure. So, I had a Beautyrest top of the line K class medium tight top Hybrid and it was TERRIBLE...thought I would need surgery it was so firm. I tried Natura Latex. Hybrid with the Dunlop and coils - too heavy for my adjustable bed and not great for comfort on my shoulders. The Tempeurpedic was too soft and too hot. So, I finally found Winkbeds and at first got the MemoryLux Medium and it is probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on - HOWEVER, I am 5’5” and 179 pounds - so my weight means I need more firmness in the lumbar support area because of my pear shape - so I went for the MemoryLux Firm(they have a great exchange program). It really is not a firm mattress. It is a Medium and the Medium is a Medium soft. My opinion. Since you are 140 lb. you’d probably love the MemoryLux Medium. It was a dream(haha). It actually felt firm at first but by month two it was conforming and like I said the most comfortable bed ever! It is not hot either - my body adjusted to the foam in a week - takes that time to regulate. The MemoryLux Firm is more like I am sleeping a bit more on top of the mattress- however, it still conforms to my shoulders and hips so there is pressure relief. Funny enough, the firm model took only a week to break in. If you go with the MemoryLux - remember to rotate every two weeks for the first three months and then every month for the next six months and then every six months for the next year and so on. Winkbeds has a patent on their airfoam material(won’t heat up). It isn’t too hard to rotate either since it is 12 inch high and there is this nice piping around it. Oh and the edge support is great too. I spent a year searching - so hopefully you won’t have to! Let us know how it goes.

17 Jun 2020 11:16 #7 by snickerful
Hey Kai. Did you find a mattress that worked for you. I've been looking at the Luma but now I'm a bit concerned after your experience. :-/

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website