mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

All Talalay vs. Talalay and Dunlp Latex Mattress

20 Jun 2020 19:00 - 20 Jun 2020 19:05 #1 by snickerful

One recommended ALL Talalay while the other recommended Talalay for the top layer (comfort layer) with Dunlop for the other 2 of 3 layers. Also, the person who recommended Talalay for just the comfort layer said they typically use "soft" for pretty much everyone on the comfort layer and then depending on the size of the person, sleeping position....etc., they customize which Dunlop they use for the support layers.

Using Dunlop for the support layers would obviously be cheaper but I don't want to save a few bucks if all Talalay would be better/more comfortable.

Lastly, the person who recommended all Talalay also has a blended Talalay, which is cheaper than 100% Natural Talalay. He sells both but in his opinion said he would go with the blended because it feels the same and is more durable. He said unless you have to have the "all natural" then there is really no other reason to get the "all natural 100% Talalay." Can anyone confirm this.....or if you disagree shed another light on the all Talalay vs. the blended.

Again, these are both TUM expert members.

Also....I'm planning to do either two 13" mattresses or one 10" and one 13".

Thanks again!!
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 19:05 by snickerful.

20 Jun 2020 19:42 #2 by Mallowpuff

snickerful wrote: Hello all. I have spoken with two TMU expert members here and am not sure which way to go with building a latex bed.

Again, these are both TUM expert members.

Also....I'm planning to do either two 13" mattresses or one 10" and one 13".

Thanks again!!

As you know, I'm also looking for a Latex mattress.

For the comfort layer, it's opinion. Simple as that. If I am being totally honest, I'm not sure why all sellers recommend Talalay all the time besides to make more money. Don't get me wrong, a ton a people like the feel of Talalay more. But it is not entirely the "superior" type of latex. It feels substantially different. I for one prefer Dunlop.

From my experience(friends, not my own experience), Dunlop holds up better as a support layer. Of course I can't say if that's completely true because it depends on too much. However, from a comfort only standpoint, I liked the Dunlop base more.

Maybe it's the cheapskate in me picking Dunlop across the board.

And of course I don't know even a fraction of what the TMU experts know so I could be wrong, just giving my $0.02.

21 Jun 2020 22:32 #3 by snickerful
Thank you for your reply Mallowpuff. It does kind of make sense to have the Dunlop as the support layers since they are more durable. If someone likes Talalay better it may be better though to do at least two or three layers Talalay incase they want to change up the level of firmness. You can switch them around. Maybe that is why the one guy recommended all Talalay. Anyhoo....thanks for your $0.02! :-)

24 Jun 2020 13:53 #4 by Sensei
Hey snickerful,

Congrats on all of the hard work you've been doing to research your new mattress purchase :). Been following your posts with great interest, like your process of checking in with other consumers whose insights may help with your product comparisons. I've also seen the written comments by at least one expert member (some of which you have sited in this thread), happy to see you are consulting with experienced latex manufacturers if you are in fact considering an all-latex bed.

The Mattress Underground proudly supports its Trusted Member program , an important membership benefit to our consumer subscribers. Our Ask an Expert panel offers direct access to industry leaders who are some of the finest among mattress manufacturers/ retailers; their knowledge and experience with components and materials is based on years of experience working with consumers' performance feedback to continually enhance product development. If you're researching all-latex beds and asking specific questions about pairing your preferences/ PPP for attaining a particular "feel" or sleep need, these experts can either provide feedback based on their knowledge of the type latex components they recommend from their deep experience in that category or can refer you to a source that would be a better fit for you. Ultimately, this journey is still an individual process for each consumer, no manufacturer or no consumer can make the decision of what is right for you personally as only you can "feel" what you feel on a mattress. Question for you, snickerful: you have quite a few posts out there, I haven't read through them all but do you mention what type mattress you're using now and if this will be your first latex mattress? Also regarding store visits in the current COVID environment, can you make safe store visits to test an all-latex mattress? I'll leave my thoughts here for now with an appropriate summary remark from TMU Ambassador @SweetDreams from All Latex vs. Latex Hybrid post #13 , a similar thread: "It's hard to put the relative feelings (about sleeping on latex mattresses) into words, they really need to be experienced since our perceptions can be quite different when it comes to mattresses and our individual needs." Looking forward to hearing more on which way you decide to go.

Thanks,
Sensei

@Mallowpuff, hope you don't mind if I combine a thought on your reply to snickerful here too:

You are totally right here, Mallowpuff. The choice of Talalay vs Dunlop latex in the comfort layer is a matter of personal preference to the individual. When a reputable manufacturer suggests one latex over the other in component construction, they are responding with the knowledge of how one type latex's performance/ durability qualities will respond to that consumer's sleep needs based on the many years of post-sale feedback they have, not necessarily to "make more money". For those curious about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex (these are latex foam manufacturing processes, each yielding different properties in quality, feel and durability), Phoenix's article "Latex: Pros and Cons" is a good read. Neither is necessarily "superior" to the other from the comfort layer standpoint as much as which latex has the properties that provides the best comfort to the individual. Also worth checking out is the article "Mattress Comfort Layers" , an overview of the other types of comfort layer materials.

If you feel a seller is suggesting a particular step-up component simply to make money, you are right to avoid them as no one should be "selling" you on anything that isn't suited to your personal preferences/ sleep needs. BTW, your $0.02 matters; honest opinions are welcome…and encouraged ;) . Thanks —S

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

01 Jul 2020 10:43 #5 by snickerful
Hello Sensei! Thank you for replying to my post and I apologize for my delayed reply. I ended up ordering an all Talalay blended latex mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress. I won't receive it though for probably close to 3 weeks. I'm excited and nervous. I've spent so much time researching because I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to return and start all over again. Praying it will suit our needs!
I will definitely update my post with my thoughts once I receive it and sleep on it for a bit. :-)

02 Jul 2020 14:38 #6 by Cup
Hello,

Which organic latex mattress do you recommend? I sleep in all positions.

02 Jul 2020 16:12 #7 by Sweet Dreams
Just as a point of clarification, Talalay latex is not available as being certified organic. Talalay latex can be all natural or synthetic, but the process of making Talalay Latex cannot be certified as organic due to chemicals that are used. So if you want certified organic latex you'd be looking at Dunlop.

There are several TMU Trusted Members that offer organic latex mattresses, and they're listed here:

Hope that helps!

- Bill

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website