Help me choose my new queen mattress. 21 Nov 2020 08:21 #1

I have done some research and I want to get a Latex hybrid. I love inner springs as I love the bounce. I prefer a mattress as green as possible. I sleep really hot, so want a mattress that does not sleep hot. I have arthritis so I need cushion but excellent spine support. I want to work with a company that's got great customer service. I just want a mattress that stays flat and does not cave in or sag, but still has cushion. I like the feeling of sleeping on top of a mattress. Im 5'6 and 140lbs, side sleeper, wake up on my back. I like Talalay over dunlop.. Have felt them both, have been using Talalay sleeping pillows for years, they are so great. Im in Oakland California.

Last edit: by Vetiwitch.

Help me choose my new queen mattress. 21 Nov 2020 11:52 #2

I'd also like to piggyback on this, as I have quite a few similarities as you...
I am also in the Bay Area, looking for a similar latex hybrid, sleep hot, want to work with a company that makes certain that I get the best solution.
I am a back sleeper, 6'0, 200lbs, and prefer extra firm.
I'll sit back and listen to the replies.

Help me choose my new queen mattress. 21 Nov 2020 11:54 #3

Great... Hope we both get something that is perfect. Cheers

Help me choose my new queen mattress. 25 Nov 2020 07:43 #4

Hey Vetiwitch,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :) ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey :) ! You've done a good job researching your preferences and seem to have a sound idea of what components/ constructions would be best suited for you. Sorry to hear of your arthritis, that can certainly add to the challenge of attaining a good night's rest and hopefully a new mattress will provide some added relief for you. We do not make recommendations for specific mattresses (read more about why in this tutorial here , particularly point #4) or mattress brands unless they are thoroughly vetted Trusted Members of our site.

Are there COVID-19 safe mattress showrooms in your area? If possible, you could call and make an appointment with a local showroom or outlet and have an in-depth conversation with an expert about your needs. Choose manufacturers/ retailers who are interested in helping you understand "best choices" based on your comfort and preferences. You may find these mattress shopping tips and this mattress shopping checklist useful for organizing your questions when having mattress construction conversations.

It sounds as though you are a Talalay latex fan, Vetiwitch :) . If you like the feeling of "sleeping on top" of a mattress, Talalay latex definitely checks off that box, so to speak. With its high support factor combined with its ability to conform to a body's shape, it provides both a most pressure relieving feel combined with a high durability foam. Are you looking for an all- latex mattress or a hybrid? What size mattress? What is your budget? Also, what mattress are you currently sleeping on and how old is it? Looking forward to your updates and good luck with your research ;) .

Thanks,
Sensei

PS to consumer @bobc: Welcome to the TMU and hope this response is helpful for answering some your Qs too; feel free to share your answers to the above questions I posed to Vetiwitch and thanks ;) .
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Help me choose my new queen mattress. 25 Nov 2020 08:40 #5

Hi Sensei, thanks for your post. I went with the Luma Sleep Hybrid with Talalay. Im desperate, so needed to place an order. I am sleeping on a big box crappy sealy something or other. It has memory foam in the top and its only 1.5 years old and heavy sag. I weigh 140 so it should not be sagging. It sleeps extremely hot and I am done with commercial mattress's and companies. Hoping my luma works out perfect for me. I loved the old school mattress with inner springs that you flip.

Help me choose my new queen mattress. 28 Nov 2020 12:06 #6

Hey Vetiwitch,

Thanks for your reply :) .

Congrats on your new mattress purchase :) ! Thanks for your support of Expert Trusted Member Luma Sleep , you should find the combination of a Talalay latex topper and hybrid coil support core ideal for your BMI/ side and back sleeping positions. Sorry to learn that your Sealy's life span was so short, 1.5 years is a relatively quick time for developing heavy sag in a mattress and agreed, at your body weight of 140 lbs, that shouldn't be happening. You will find Talalay latex's natural air flow properties to sleep cooler and its point elasticity more responsive than that of your old Sealy for pressure relief/ spinal support that you seek. When you have time to update fellow TMU consumer subscribers, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your Luma following an initial sleep trial and I'm sure things will work out better this mattress go-round ;) .

Thanks,