Was it the Talalay? 06 Dec 2020 10:20 #1

I purchased a Sleep Ez latex bed. Standard : 2" Soft Natural Talalay, 3" Medium Natural Dunlop, 3" Firm Natural Dunlop Selection. I couldn’t sleep on it until I had the firm layer on the top...then I slept. Then it was sagging so back it went. Those of you with latex toppers on coil beds how do you find them? I’m wondering if I should just repurchase the firm topper and try it. By trade I shoe horses and my lower back is a wreck when I get up (normally about 3am because it’s hurting). I’m tired and grumpy and don’t have the patience for the swap it out game. Our local store only carries sealy or purple after that it’s a 100 mile drive each way to find a store. I had used this forum years ago and it helped so I’m back. I am a side reader and back sleeper, I’ve tried pillows under the knees, only one flat pillow...I’m about 170 lbs so not huge. Too soft and my arms go numb so I stay away from memory foam now. Thx

Last edit: by ND Farrier.

Was it the Talalay? 06 Dec 2020 11:17 #2

Hi there. So from what I've read, the commonly suggested method of re-arranging layers to find the right firmness seems fundamentally flawed as putting soft layers under firm layers causes a hammock effect. Now I'm certainly no expert, but it seems like you'd want to experiment with a medium, firm, firm, or medium, medium, firm. But, from everything i've read, it seems like putting softer under firm is a bad idea. I have tried latex coil hybrids at a showroom before and I didn't like it. It was a little too bouncy for me and way too firm. Sounds like its' right up your alley, not to mention be cheaper and more supportive. Good luck! I hope you find the configuration you're looking for!

Was it the Talalay? 06 Dec 2020 11:19 #3

Oh, one more quick thing. I am pretty certain it's more to do with the fact that the layer is soft and less to do with the fact that it's talalay. Dunlop is a slightly more dense foam and you'll probably find it more to your liking anyway. From my own personal experimentation, there isn't a huge difference between talalay and dunlop in feel. But that's just with my own limited personal experience.

Was it the Talalay? 06 Dec 2020 13:45 #4

Gormeroth, Thank you for answering. Yes I have read up on here regarding the layers which is why I was asking for comments on using the latex over a coil spring vs latex core. I did actually try to edit the title but I see it didn’t change. I am glad to see your comment on the similarities between the Talalay and Dunlop that’s interesting as the prices are so different.

Was it the Talalay? 11 Dec 2020 06:06 #5

Hey ND Farrier,

Welcome back to the TMU forum :) ! Thanks for your question.

Thanks for your support of expert trusted member Sleep EZ :) . Sorry to hear, though, of your lower back pain issues, ND. With the physical nature of your work, it is important to have good support of your back for a restful night's sleep. While placing the firm Dunlop layer over the 2" soft Natural Talalay layer initially resulted in a more agreeable "feel" for your preferences, this arrangement wouldn't be the best support layering long term as a softer layer's comfort properties would be lost beneath a firm Dunlop layer and wouldn't add to the more supportive feel that you need. I can definitely empathize with not having the patience "for the swap it out game", but there are a few things you can try before heading back to a store. If you liked the more firm feeling of the natural Dunlop layer, have you tried removing the 2" Soft Natural Talalay layer and sleeping on the 6" of natural Dunlop? What are you currently using as a foundation? How long have you had your latex mattress and what mattress were you sleeping on before? Have you reached out to Sleep EZ for their thoughts?

Good to hear that the forum was helpful for you in the past and hopefully we can be of help again ;) . It's been a couple of days since your post (my apologies for the delayed response); have you tried any other layering arrangements? Looking forward to your updates, ND Farrier.

Thanks,
Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Was it the Talalay? 11 Dec 2020 14:41 #6

Hi Sensei Thank you for the answered, very much appreciated. Yes I did get back in touch with Sleepez and have ordered a second topper to try. Now I just have to figure out how to delete my post.

Was it the Talalay? 13 Dec 2020 09:27 #7

Hey ND Farrier,

Thanks for your reply and updates :) .

Happy to hear that you're working with Sleep EZ on a better solution for your topper comfort layer and hope that your lower back issues improve soon. That is thoughtful for you to delete your previous post if you feel your situation has been remedied, I will be happy to pass your request along to the TMU support team and someone will email you directly to confirm your request.

Feel free to drop by and share how things go with your new topper, following an initial sleep trial period and good luck ;) !

Cheers,
Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Was it the Talalay? 24 Dec 2020 06:43 #8

Sooo loving the new topper but hating the mattress. Underneath. So we had a Zinus that was warranty replaced by Zinus about a week before the topper arrived. The spring hybrid model. Well this new one has a crease where your butt goes ever since we opened it. Contacted Zinus and no answer..sent pics no answer. Guess they are done with us since they replaced our last one with a worst one. So now we have sagging spots at our lumbar and a ridge in. The middle". So I was up reading until 4am due to back pain. I found a topic on here that mentioned going to bed ok and waking up with lower back pain and that it’s due to either pillow support or slow compression during the night. So our set up is a Captains bed with plywood, then a Zinus Deepak Easy Assembly Wood Slat 1.6 Inch Bunkie Board support then this horrible mattress then the new 3” latex firm topper. We are both under 180lbs and I am at a loss. My back is killing me in the lower lumber to the point I get better sleep on the couch. It hurts to turn over and if I can get and stay on the edge without rolling into the dip, or sliding down so far to get my hips below the dip I can sleep but I wake up in pain back in the dip. Sooooo after reading everything for two nights I’m hearing a 5lb foam base may be the solution we are after. This will put me back in the build a bed that we failed at last attempt with SleepEZ.

Was it the Talalay? 24 Dec 2020 06:48 #9

Pics of new mattress with crease. I did ask to exchange with Zinus’s Spa mattress with my last reach out and again no reply.
Attachments:

Was it the Talalay? 27 Dec 2020 13:31 #10

Hey ND Farrier,

Welcome back to the TMU and thanks for your updates :) !

middle".

Congrats on your new Sleep EZ topper :) ! Happy to hear that the second topper is working better for you so far and hope that continues. It is disappointing to learn that your new Zinus mattress isn't working out to your satisfaction, however. Thanks for including the pics for review too, they are most helpful. Which spring hybrid model do you have, the cover looks like that of their Pressure Relief iCoil Hybrid? Regarding the crease, while it is visible in the pics, could you describe a little how it feels? Does the crease only impact the feel of the top quilted cover fabrication or does the feel of it go deeper into the mattress? How long have you had your Zinus? There is a decompression period for compressed/ roll-packed mattresses, as well as occasional "nesting" of coils that is resolved by having a person on either side of the mattress pull/tug on the side of the mattress along the perimeter, starting at the middle and working towards the top/ head area of the mattress and reversing direction back to the middle and towards the foot area. You may want to check the consumer law label for the Date of Delivery to get a better idea how long ago the mattress had been made and compare that to its delivery date, Zinus recommends the mattress remain no more than a week in its original packaging.

Yes ND, lower back pain can be caused by pillow support issues or slow compression during the night, either of which will result in poor spinal alignment . Regarding the Zinus wood slat bunkie board, what wood are the slats made of? How far apart are they spaced and are they all of a uniform height? Your combined weights shouldn't be a problem as long as the slats are of a good quality wood, correctly spaced and an even height. You can learn more about slatted wood foundations here . Is there a center support?

Sorry to hear of your continued, severe lower back pain ND. Not only is that endlessly frustrating but also dangerously sleep depriving for you as well. Before adding more "band aids" to your current setup, you may consider seeking your Doctor's counsel on underlying medical conditions requiring special consideration for long-term spinal health. Especially with your occupation as a Farrier, the many stresses your back deals with on an a ongoing basis may be more than a mattress can solve alone. While I'm not offering medical advice and not qualified to do so, I do compare your work to that of a professional athlete (ie. physically demanding) and as such, your Doctor may suggest a more holistic approach to your spinal health's needs. A good mattress of appropriate materials and construction would serve as only part of that equation.

It's been a few days since your post (my apologies for the delayed response); how are things going? Any word from Zinus?

Thanks,