Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 16 Dec 2020 04:41 #1

Dear Phoenix,

I am sleeping on the natural escapes my green mattress and the trial period is almost over. We also got the avocado green mattress and slept on it for About five nights until my husband said it wasn’t working for him. I developed nerve pain and feel like it’s connected to the natural escapes maybe being too soft? It’s the first mattress ever that i could sleep on my side without twisting my hip. However sleeping on my back (with and without pillow but more so with) gives me numbness/tingling/pins and needles as well as a burning sensation in my middle finger or ring finger (forgot which one). The confusing thing is it’s not always. Two Montag or so ago i also started having a sudden stinging pain in my big toe, sometimes pins and needles in other toes. Also this has come back these past few days.
I’m not sure if we should return the mattress and if the pain is related to the mattress or somehow my body issue, but after sleeping on the avocado for a few nights and then switching back to natural escapes it came back full blown even though it had pretty much been gone before. Both mattresses are king size. We felt like the avocado slept hotter but it might have been a new sheet that we didn’t wash before using since after switching back the natural escapes feels hotter too. In the avocado i had more lower back pain which i used to have none of on the natural escapes. I’ve been dealing with neck stiffness probably from tight pecs, having a 9 month old. After doing pecs releases the neck pain was gone and i slept mostly well on the natural escapes, now both are back and I’m not sure if it’scoincidence or the mattress. We need to return it by December 27th. My green mattress sold me a soft latex topper 14-19 ild to try out and it made Things worse.
They said they suspected an issue with the slats and we indeed have an odd slat situation since we made a full size bed bigger so the slats are super firm boards but run the other direction and there is a slight change in heights of the slats from the waist upwards. I tried putting a (small) piece of plywood under and had more pains from that.i wonder if there’s a way to make this mattress work for me. Otherwise i might hope the avocado feels good and stops sleeping hot and that my husbands pain was just due to his injury and he’ll be fine with that pick.

Last edit: by Ana.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 17 Dec 2020 17:46 #2

Hi Ana,

Any leads as to why I’m having the neuropathy symptoms? I’m even having hand numbness sleeping on my side as well now ...
In the avocado i had more lower back pain which i used to have none of on the natural escapes. I’ve been dealing with neck stiffness probably from tight pecs, having a 9-month-old. After doing pecs releases the neck pain was gone and i slept mostly well on the natural escapes, now both are back and I’m not sure if it’s coincidence or the mattress.

I’m sorry that you are having problems adjusting to either of your new mattresses. Unfortunately, “diagnosing” any mattress issues over an online forum is quite problematic especially as you have quite an extensive list of variables all of which may have an overlapping effect and contribute in a larger or smaller way to the discomfort you are experiencing. I would check with a health practitioner to eliminate the possibility that of a medical issue that you may be unaware of.

It appears that you are experiencing pains and discomfort on both mattresses, though in different ways for each.. While tingling in hands, feet, or both are common from putting pressure on nerves due to incorrect posture while sleeping, I’d agree with you that you’d need to consider the possibility that you may be dealing with some type of peripheral or diabetic neuropathy so it is important to seek prompt medical evaluation.

I’ll do my best to give you some suggestions to help eliminate a few variables. It may take a bit of experimenting to pin down if it is a mattress related issue, health issue, or both and I am not sure if that you have enough time to draw any meaningful conclusion before the return date of Dec 27 as you would need to change only one variable at a time.

I’d first start to analyze your setup from the bottom up. The first red flag I see is that the foundation you described has "different elevation" levels. Depending of the elevation size and position you can create pressure zones where the elevation occurs. To determine this, I’d recommend that you place both mattresses on the floor and sleep on each for a few nights taking note of your sleep position and type of pains on each mattress and when in the sleep cycle you are experiencing them. A good foundation is essential and it must have structural strength and integrity to hold the weight of a latex mattress and the people sleeping on it. Typically, it should be a solid non-flexing foundation. The gaps between the slats should be no more than 3" apart or less (different requirements for different manufacturers), and have a center support beam with good support to the floor so that it wouldn't harm the mattress. It would be important to check with each manufacturer to make sure that your support system wouldn't invalidate the warranty for any of your current latex mattresses. You can read about it in the
the foundation thread here .

I'd also look at some of the forum posts that may help you recognize or "diagnose" the underlying cause of different types of "symptoms", pain, or discomfort that may be connected to a mattress which include ...

Different "symptoms" that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress in Post #2 (this is the primary reference post)
Mattresess and dealing with pain. Small changes and body adjustments in Post #45 (this is particularly worth reading as well)
Determining causes for upper and lower back pains in Post #2
Post #6
Achy Lower back in the morning in Post #6
Fine Tuning a mattress in Post #4
Post #7
Post #7

Once you had a chance to test the foundation and scan through some of the above threads you’ll probably be in a better position to determine your next step.
Let us know what you find

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 20 Dec 2020 14:30 #3

Dear Phoenix,

thank you for your response. I was able to read most of the links you shared.
Unfortunately I am not able to test the mattress on the floor, due to space issues.
(However, the slats we are using are solid non bending and the slight elevation difference would be 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch at the most.)
I did already get checked out regarding the nerve pain and I am pretty sure I do not have neuropathy due to some disease (diabetes, lymes or such) and it does seem connected to posture, though I think it is currently flared up and thus more easily happening with not perfect posture. It did start out with an overextension of my neck sideways and laying on my arm that was stretched out sideways above the baby while nursing. I am not sure yet how to heal it and I do have a neurology appointment coming up.

Here more precise description of my sleeping experience on the two mattresses:
My green mattress natural escape:
I used to sleep great on it on my side without twisting my body/spine. Often in the morning hours I needed to change up position and couldn't find a different position, because neither twisting my spine while half sidelaying half on my stomach with one knee bent and leg pulled up (which has been my go to position on any mattress since my childhood) causes backpain, and stomach and back sleeping don't work either. I believe it is too soft for those. On my back I get a very sore neck and burning and tingling in certain fingers, though the latter became less over time (also connected to some body work related to it, as well as making sure I wasn't hunching forward). I tried on my back with and without pillow and the best was a very tiny soft down baby pillow in the curve of my neck.
I tried their soft topper (2inches, 14-18 ILD / Density: 55) but it seemed to cause more discomforts and I put a piece of plywood under and that seemed to cause more discomforts too. After switching to the avocado for 5 days and then switching back, several issues came back.
I am wondering how (or even if) I could keep the benefit of sleeping on my side and also be able to sleep comfortably on my back at least.

Avocado green mattress:
I sleep well on my back on it without a pillow though I think I get some neck stiffness. I layed on it totally untwisted on my side most of last night and had no backpain issues (alignment), however my arms /hands started tingling multiple times and I had the burning sensation in one finger again. It was strangely at least once in the hand that was on the upper arm, rather than the one I was laying on. I noticed pressure on the shoulder I was laying on, so definitely I noticed a pressure relief issue (lack of comfort layer). Also tried the avocado with that same soft topper and it did not feel good (even though that would, I believe, exactly mimic their pillowtop, which I was hoping would be the solution.

I would sum up and assume that:
1. the my green mattress is a bit too soft for my neck to be straight when I lay on my back, my shoulders sinking in too deep, and thus pinching some nerves (ulnar nerve suspected) that cause tingling and burning sensations in my finger.
2. the avocado I think works well on my back and with my old habitual twisted spine sidelaying/stomach sleep (will try again tonight to sleep mostly on my back on it). It definitely lacks pressure relief for sleeping on my side. I was hoping to find a mattress I could do both on for that price...

Any suggestions?

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 23 Dec 2020 00:10 #4

Hi Ana,

Thanks for adding a bit more detail about your sleeping experience on both mattresses. It's good to know that the foundation is sturdy and does not bend under the weight of the mattress when you sleep on it. You noted that there is up to 1/2" a height differential between slats. This may account for some of the pressure points you are experiencing resulting in "numbness and tingling" and the burning sensation when sleeping on your side so you may want to try to sleep in an area where there is no slat elevation at all to see if it makes a difference. The surface of the foundation needs to be totally flat.

I’d, also make sure that you reevaluate your pillow to ensure that it is providing a decent alignment to keep your cervical/upper thoracic region in a relatively neutral arrangement. Improper pillow thickness is a common cause for shoulder issues, especially with a new mattress.

Next, you may wish to continue to reevaluate how you are sleeping upon your side and the location of your arms, as this can also make a large difference in shoulder pain, regardless of mattress types. You can try while sleeping on your side to, fold your arms across your chest (like what is commonly depicted on an Egyptian sarcophagus). if sleeping upon your right side, your right arm would be crossed over your chest, with the elbow pointing down toward your waist area and your hand closer to your left shoulder. Doing so abducts your shoulder girdle and takes some of the pressure off of your shoulder joint. Also, consider placing a thicker pillow in front of you and place your free arm (in his case, the left arm) atop this pillow to help support it in a more neutral position and take the pressure off of both shoulders. I know that you need to keep your arm sideways while nursing the baby but I'd try to shift to the position I described as soon as possible and bring your arm close to the body to see how this works out.

As far as the support/comfort balance ... It appears from your experiments, that you need something that is not quite as frim as the Avocado to help relieve the pressure points when sleeping on your side but not quite as soft as My Green Mattress that is not supportive enough and causes you lower back pains when sleeping on your back. Generally, you cannot fix a mattress that is too soft by adding another layer (especially a softer one) as you did by adding the 2" soft Dunlop with your MGM mattress. This most likely caused you to sink in too far and compromised your neutral spinal alignment.

You are correct that in the case of the Avocado mattress, as a side sleeper, typically you'd need a bit more pressure point relief to accommodate the wider dimensional variances between the shoulders and the hips and the waist. There’s a bit more about different sleeping positions here . You did well to add the softer 2" Dunlop layer and while it still "did not feel good" I am not clear if this discomfort was for side sleeping, back sleeping or both.

You also described sleeping in what I call a "pretzel" position with certain parts of the body twisted which may complicate things further. Protecting your baby while sleeping and nursing is also a background modifier of your posture. All of these have overlapping effects and you'd need a high level of confidence that you have identified the real problem (which may be compounded}. Some people can "react" to symptoms that were only there for a couple of days and make quick random changes. Then "react" again to new symptoms and this can quickly become so complex that they become lost in the details and nothing seems to work because changes are happening so quickly that the body doesn't have time to catch up and it's never clear which change is producing what symptom (the symptoms can happen sometime after the change). The suggestion is really just a matter of making certain that what you are seeing and feeling is an accurate predictor of your long term experience and to take into account the many factors that I tried to point out that are unknown or hidden rather than just the ones that are known. In many cases when something appears "suddenly" ... I am very cautious and like to rule out other possible causes that may not be so obvious.

One of these for example is that the position you are "assessing" is not quite the same as the position that you sleep in for part or most of the night that is causing the "symptom". Just as one example ... if you bring up your knees into a more fetal position this could change the profile compared to side sleeping in a more straight position. Sometimes a slight shift in one part of the body can produce a flatter surface under that area which changes how far some parts will sink in. In other words ... it's just a matter of prudence and the level of confidence you have that you have "nailed" the most likely cause which is not always as obvious as it seems. Time tends to "average out" all the potential causes including the ones that are known and are more obvious and the ones that may not be as visible or obvious.

All in all, you are making good progress. You just need to pinpoint with a little more clarity where the issue resides and any factor that may contribute to it before you decide your next step.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 23 Dec 2020 03:34 #5

Dear Phoenix,
Thank you so much for your thorough reply.
We tried the topper again on the avocado and i actually slept great on my back and side!! What i learned also is that laying on my back without a pillow becomes very painful, while having a down pillow almost flat under my head but filling in the curve in the neck eliminates that pain. Due to the holidays i did get some extra time so might go back to trying the mgm again.
Unfortunately my husband slept in the first night on the topper on the avocado but it’s very uncomfortable this second night. I get what you’re saying and learned that from reading the truly insightful other posts you linked and an z starting to understand why i haven’t made headway these past years of mattress search. I’m excited to have some progress. This second night was a bit more challenging but i think it’s connected to my sleep positions. I am learning which positions help me sleep well.
Annika

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 24 Dec 2020 17:45 #6

Hi Anna,

That's great news! I am glad to hear that the topper works for you and that reevaluated your pillow and replaced it with a flatter profile which eliminated your pains. :cheer:

Combo sleepers have more trouble finding the best comfort/support fit for all their sleeping positions. Quite right! Depending on the sleeper's sensitivity threshold, sometimes it is difficult to find a bed that is good for all sleeping positions.

Let us know how things progress for you and your husband and how the MGM experiments turn out for you.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 11 Jan 2021 17:34 #7

Dear Phoenix,

I have slept many more nights on the MGM with the 2” latex topper with ILD14-19. I do not have any more Numbness and tingling, especially on the side. However, I wake up sore in my body every day. Even after receiving a massage etc it seems that the mattress is making my body have to hold itself up and thus all my muscles are needing to tense.
I still haven’t figured out the exact pillow solution for when i lay on my back, and usually have neck stiffness when i sleep on my back..
Any insights on the reasons/solution for the whole body soreness? Apart from that the mgm would actually work for me now. I’mretrying the avocado right now with the topper, not sure if that’ll be better.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 13 Jan 2021 12:35 #8

Dear Phoenix,
Would you please check my last reply and see if you have any leads on whole body soreness from muscles holding the body in a sidelaying position? Why is that? I’m not sure if there’s any fix for this and if I should keep the MGM because I’m every other regard (alignment and pressure relief on shoulders) it does seem to work will now. But I don’t want to feel every morning like I need a full body massage... is there any fix? I couldn’t find any posts going into depth on this topic.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 14 Jan 2021 11:11 #9

Hi Ana.

Thanks for the update and the pinging. It is promising that you've stopped experiencing numbness and tingling, A little bit more legwork is now needed to pinpoint the cause of the lingering full-body soreness when side sleeping. :)

Just keep in mind that even though I still have a few cents to throw in, as previously mentioned, “diagnosing” any mattress issues over an online forum is next to impossible, and with any lingering issue or symptoms, I would still check with a health practitioner to eliminate the possibility of a medical issue that you may be unaware of.

I do not have any more Numbness and tingling, especially on the side. However, I wake up sore in my body every day. Even after receiving a massage etc it seems that the mattress is making my body have to hold itself up and thus all my muscles are needing to tense. I still haven’t figured out the exact pillow solution for when i lay on my back, and usually have neck stiffness when i sleep on my back
… please check my last reply and see if you have any leads on whole body soreness from muscles holding the body in a sidelaying position? Why is that?

The type of “neck stiffness” you describe indicates that the pillow that you use for side sleeping may be too high for your back-sleeping position causing the back of your head to be pushed forward which results in a loss of Neutral Cervical Curvature. A pillow that has adjustable filling (such as one of the shredded latex pillows with a zip cover that allows you to reduce the fill material) and control how much filling goes in different areas of the pillow could make a good choice so you can customize the height of the pillow to match your needs.

Some additional aspects to consider in determining the cause of lingering body soreness.
1) It is possible you are still dealing with some pressure points and the comfort layers aren't quite yet as soft or thick as they need to be for your comfort needs to be met. IF this should be the case then any changes or experiments you do should be done incrementally and letting enough time to pass for the body to readjust so as not to affect the support and alignment that seem to be good now for both your side and back sleeping positions. To test this
• you can add a 1” comfort pad or something that adds some thickness, softness, or both.
• if you have around a 3” topper or layer of the same ILD then you can replace the 2” topper and see if the extra thickness resolves the issue
2) It is also possible that you are experiencing some rollover towards the front or back of your body while sleeping on the side. When sleeping on our side we almost never sleep fully straight (like a plank). Some bending of both or one leg is usually involved .. some body-twisting … also the position of the arms is also very important. Have you been able to evaluate how you are sleeping upon your side and the location of your arms?
3) Although you’ve slept on this mattress for quite a while now, I’d still make some room for the body still be adjusting to the mattress + topper. As your body unlearns previously acquired poor sleeping posture, it is not uncommon to experience soreness. As it has only been a few weeks, it's possible that this is what you are experiencing.
4) Can you determine what percentage of time you spend on your side and what on your back while sleeping. That can also give some interesting clues.

Unfortunately, it's hard for me to give specific advice because I cannot feel what you feel on the mattress, nor am I able to watch over your sleeping positions and movement to evaluate what may be causing the lingering soreness.

Looking forward to hearing what more insights you gain with the additional experiments and input.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress? 24 Jan 2021 08:42 #10

Dear Phoenix,
Thank you for your response.

„From your description, it seems that the “body soreness” appears only when sleeping on your side. and the “neck stiffness” only when sleeping on your back.„

I never thought it could still be too firm, but i Slept a few nights on the avocado with the 2“ topper folded double and it seemed good!
Tried that on the mgm andi had the whole body soreness again. tried no topper again on mgm and tons of tingling /numbness in hands came back right away and increased the second night from the pressure on my shoulder i imagine. Trying one layer of the topper and it is a mix of little numbness/tingling as well as some soreness and back aches. I basically go to bed relaxed and the next morning have tons of knots in my muscles and soreness, ready for a massage. Lower back pain comes from if i lay on my stomach.

I lay for 80% of the night almost like a plank on my side or legs bent. It’s helped in the past to make sure my head and neck are not forward. I change position a few times and can’t sleep once i consciously force myself to try a certain position, usually sleeping on my back for the last 20% of the night. So i try to keep it intuitive. The less topper the less my muscles work to keep me on my side, meaning the softer it is the more sore i Wake Up. However if it’s not soft enough i get the tingling from laying on my side.
This has always been an issue for me, the Struggle of finding the right firmness for my shoulder as well as my hip.

I feel in a tie. My husband wants to keep the mgm. My feeling keeps being “no way!” Because i really start hating my nights. I just want to feel relaxed and rested in my body. The only thing that’s worked so far in my life is a firmer mattress and twisting my body to lay half on my side half on my belly. I wonder if we would have to return both mattresses and get a twin of each, or what to do. Once my topper is more than 2” it really becomes awkward to have differing heights. Any suggestions welcome, especially if having a softer, firmer, or 3” topper would resolve my issues, or what other options i have. I wish for a natural material/production which limits my choices and I’m not sure if I’m the end only a memory foam would do or talalay latex? I sleep hot so that’s one more argument against the synthetic materials.
At this point i wonder also if I could make my own mattress.